Finally finished my gun safe door............

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by 01coltcolt, Jun 20, 2007.

1. 01coltcolt

01coltcolt New Member

Awhile back I was looking for a way to attach my handguns to the door with out scratching them and holding them securely when opening and shutting the door. I ended up using Wire harness clamps. They are strong and coated in soft rubber for protection and grip. I am happy with it.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. pro2am

pro2am New Member

Very impressive. Keep that up and you'll have lots of company when the zombies arrive.

3. Bulldawg182

Bulldawg182 Active Member

Man, that's downright brilliant!!! Now I know what my weekend project will be. Any hints to save time on the process?

PS: Now you have to work on reinforcing that ammo shelf! :p

4. 01coltcolt

01coltcolt New Member

I just use self taping screws and a electric screw driver. I held the gun up to the door with the clamps and marked with a pen. It was quick and painless. The clamps are flexible but not flimsy so they can be adjusted for each gun.

5. Bulldawg182

Well, I already have the inside of the door off the safe and will be stopping bye Home Depot later this afternoon to find adequate "hooks". Your idea just bought me lots of extra space. Thanks

6. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

Available at Home Depot (the open carry store)?

7. Bulldawg182

Mal,

You're relentless.....and that's what we all love about ya! :shock: :lol: :wink:

8. Malum Prohibitum

9. USMC - Retired

USMC - Retired Active Member

Better yet, get the hardware a Lowes. Not only will you not get harrassed for open carry but they also don't fire folks for preventing crime!

10. Malum Prohibitum

11. tace

tace New Member

Did Home Depot ever get back into the biz of helping their customers find hardware stuff?

I stopped going there after about the 5th time I either couldn't find something I got from there before or couldn't find anyone to help me look for it.

12. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

Not even close.

13. GunNut

GunNut New Member

I've seen another way of doing this, which is what I have been thinking about doing.....

Replace the panel on the back of the door with a piece of peg board. Then plasti-dip a bunch of peg hooks. That way it is easy to move stuff around should you want to.

14. Rammstein

Rammstein New Member

Very nice!

As for Lowes....I've open carried there many a time and had nary a problem.

15. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

Nice, 01colt! Looks awesome.

16. Bulldawg182

Better YET!!!!

17. Macktee

Macktee New Member

A couple of cool ideas. One of these days I just gots to get me a safe, but every time I think about spending the money, I think about a gun I could buy with the same money...

Really tough choices!

I have a paint cabinet where I also store my ammo.

It's just a 2' x2' x4' wood box framed up out of 2x4s and covered on all sides with two layers of fire-rated dry wall and fire-rated joint compound. The double layer is supposed to give me a one hour fire rating, but I think half that may be more realistic, which should be plenty of time for the FD to arrive.

If anyone keeps any quantity of inflammable or explosive materials in the house or garage, I suggest you consider making one. Total cost was well under $50. and I sleep a lot better... If anyone wants more info or pics, PM me.

18. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

Not a bad idea. I'll definitely be able to do all my projects and such once I get settled down and buy a house. Shouldn't be too much longer before that happens.

19. legacy38

legacy38 Active Member

My gun locker has a sheet of metal with holes in it similar to a piece of peg board. Those hooks would probably work well. The company that made the locker wants way to much for a simple rubber coated hook.

20. M249

M249 New Member

Lowes.