Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Between this website, opencarry.org, youtube, and other carry websites, I am furiously fed up with cops who break the law :evil: . First, let me quickly get this out of the way: I do not dislike LEOs, I support them and the job they have to do day in and day out. I have been the first to defend them when the media, especially local, tries to slant stories against them towards the scum that they deal with. That being said, I am so tired of reading and watching LEOs harass, detain, disarm, and sometimes even arrest law-abiding citizens whom clearly are doing nothing wrong. Youtube is full of videos of police clearly stating that they are stopping people to make sure that they are not felons, or ARE legally allowed to possess the firearm that they are carrying. They will say things like, "How do I know your allowed to have that gun, I need to make sure, gimme ID." :screwy: It seems that to some LEOs, the egos are so big, the "I don't care about your so called 'rights', I'm a freaking cop, I can do what I want" mentality is making itself more and more common.

Also, my freaking god, with the officer safety thing. "Officer safety" apparently allows any LEO to completely disregard any constitutionally protected rights that we have because their number 1 priority is going home that night (and I would like to see them do that also). However, to this I always want to answer with the fact that they CHOSE this job. No one put a gun to their head and forced them to do it. They usually went to school, earned a degree, applied to an agency, went through oral interviews, physical test, psych exams, lie detector test and so forth to do this job. They know the risk. If they don't like it, don't join. It's pretty simple.

At this point I am ranting, I have so much to say about this subject because it is so frustrating for me. Let me get to the main reason for starting this thread. My question to all of you reading this is why don't we band together and start suing officers and their agency for some of these violations, and not just the major ones, but for the so called "small" ones too? I'm talking even about the illegal detainment's that are so prevailant. It seems the only way in America to get things done is through the courts; so why not us. I know one reason that we don't see more lawsuits is the cost. I thought about starting some kind of non-profit organization or fund to pull donations together and then start suing for these "minor" infractions. Then, maybe they will learn that they can't just stop people and demand papers for no crimes. What do you guys think. Maybe we can partner with a good law office in Georgia who might give us a discount for continued use on many cases. If we pull some money together, we can go after the bad cops who don't respect our rights. Just throwing some ideas out there. We have to do something. We can't just sit back and keep taking this crap. Let me know what you think. Maybe throw in some ides of your own.

·
Lawyer and Gun Activist
28,312 Posts
I'm thinking that GCO has several thousand members. Many people on this website are GCO members.
Georgia Carry.Org is active when it comes to litigation over cops blatantly abusing the rights of armed citizens.

Now if you're saying to not be so careful about screening the potential lawsuits and just go to court anytime an officer does something wrong, even when there's no real "damage" to seek compensation for, let me ask you this:

Who is going to pay for it? Who is going to fund and finance the legal actions that don't involve clear-cut violations of rights and where the "damages" involved would be nominal?

Whose money do you want to use? Litigation is expensive. Think tens of thousands of dollars before it even gets to a jury.

In this economy, many of us do not have the extra funds to donate or "invest" in litigation.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts