Fighting Rifle Gear

Discussion in 'GENERAL EVENTS' started by mswicord, Aug 12, 2007.

1. mswicord

mswicord New Member

Fighting Rife Gear

Planning on taking Ken Forbus’ Fighting Carbine class in the near future, I want to get thoughts on various ways to carry extra rifle mags.

Belt carrier
    Tactical vest
    Chest mag carrier
    Thigh carrier
    Butt stock carrier

How many will need to carried in the class?

Ken what are your recommendations?

2. Kingmann

Kingmann New Member

Carry them the way you would when fighting with the rifle. For most of us (non military or Swat) this will be in a shoulder or ready bag or a belt magazine carrier.

If you are able to carry 3 magazines you should be fine for the class.
    There will likely be some guys show up with chest rigs or vests so you won't be alone if you decide to play dress up. Keep in mind that you will still need to carry your sidearm and magazines.

3. triggerman357

triggerman357 New Member

4. Bulldawg182

Bulldawg182 Active Member

Somebody's getting ready for something! :woohoo: :flame: You're a glutton for punishment, Mark. Nicely done! :cheers:

5. lsu_nonleg

lsu_nonleg New Member

Time to see if the ALICE gear still fits :)

6. curtdiss

curtdiss Member

I took an AK class from Paul Gomez, through Ken/Firearmz. At the time I did not have ANYTHING to hold mags. I just held them in my back/front pocket of my jeans. It was not great but it worked.

I have since bought a chest rig and a couple of shoulder bags...

I think I got the chest rigs and shoulder bags from CTD.

7. Kingmann

Kingmann New Member

Here is an example of a good shoulder bag. Ken has a similar bag that doesn't have the Molle webbing.

http://www.diamondbacktactical.com/Batt ... 8C128.aspx

Paul Gomez (the American AK master) was designing a similar bag that he was calling the "Happy Sack" I saw Paul at a medical class last month and he told me that production of the bag was currently on hold due to mass production issues.

LA Police Gear has a couple of options on their website as well.

One thing to think about if you plan on using a shoulder bag. You need a method of securing the bag to your belt on your weak side to prevent the bag from moving around to your front during movement or transition drills.

8. Ashe

Ashe New Member

One thing I can say with assurance.
    I hate the Buttstock Mag holders. They take too long to use and interfere with my normal use of the rifle/carbine.

9. mswicord

mswicord New Member

Larry

Why do I have a feeling that you too are shopping for similar items....

Have you got your new toy yet?

Mark

10. Bulldawg182

I called him yesterday and he did indeed receive about 24 rifles this weekend and mine is in the bunch. Hopefully, it'll be sent out in the next few days. And you're right, I've already bought Magpul mags, an Eotech 512 and ammo....but need to pick a sling, quad rails and a vertical grip.

The quad rails seem to be the toughest choice since they range substantially in price and capability. I'm not looking for anything fancy or to mount other stuff, just want that "cool" tactical look! :lol: My other dilemma is the RRA CAR Elite A4 comes with a detachable tactical carry handle which I understand is not optimum for mounting the Eotech....so I have to come up with an alternate strategy.

I'm watching here for answers to your question and will appreciate any advice regarding mounting the Eotech and which quad rails offer the best bang (excuse the pun) for the buck.

11. Bulldawg182

Ya know, for a newbie to ARs, there's just so much to learn and so many different options that I'm spinning my own wheels trying to make decisions. Heck, I read ads and explanations from people who are experienced and I still just don't get half of them.

I think I'm gonna take the Andrew Carnegie road and find someone who knows what the heck they're talking about and hand it over to them to get it right the first time.

Ken, Rammstein, M249......any volunteers??? :banghead: :help:

12. lsu_nonleg

lsu_nonleg New Member

Damn, Larry!
    Mags, mag carrier(s), rifle, ammo, adjustable sling.

And whatever else is in the class requirements list :)
    That's basically what I'm planning on, no fancy sights or complicated ass tacticool stuff. Besides the fancy tactical pants, gotta use those. I'm guessing that a waistband (I or O) pistol holster will not be as functional as a thigh rig, but that's just an educated guess. Whatever I end up going with, I'm just going to make it work.

13. Kingmann

Kingmann New Member

Larry,

Look into LaRue Tactical http://stores.homestead.com/Laruetactic ... eFront.bok

Not the cheapest gear, but they make the best Eotech and Aimpoint mounts out there. The latch on the mounts is adjustable to create a perfect fit to your weapon. There FF handguards are nice also. They have machined a hole at the front of the rail for a QD sling swivel.

Again, not cheap. You can also take a look at Daniel Defense for the handguards and some sling mounting options.

14. mswicord

mswicord New Member

Larry,

My Eotech is mounted directly on the "flat top" it works well there. I'm mot going with quads do the the increase circumfrance; single rail mounted on lower hand guard for VHG and offset light.

Look at the sling at Jon's Anvil Arms site anvilarms.com I'm happy with it.

Mark

15. budder

budder Moderator Staff Member

It doesn't even have a can on it!

16. USMC - Retired

USMC - Retired Active Member

No, but if you look carefully you will notice it has a Can Opener!

17. Rammstein

Rammstein New Member

Just cut it down like I did.

18. Ashe

Ashe New Member

I have a few folding backup sights, to replace the carry handle on optics mounted weapons..
    They look exactly like these...

[​IMG]

If you want to get one of these instead of cutting and possibly ruining your carry handle we can talk.

19. Bulldawg182

Ok, now I'm really confused. I've been told that I CAN'T mount the Eotech on the detachable carry handle because 1) it'll be too high and 2) it won't "co-witness" with the iron sights (whatever the heck that means).

With one of your rear sights, would that also require the removal of the carry handle and mounting of the Eotech directly to the flat top? If so, either way I need to remove and sell the carry handle? I'm having difficulty understanding just how iron sights can be used when that Eotech is mounted directly in between the path of the front and rear iron sights.

BTW, here's what should be arriving shortly so you know what I'm up against:

[​IMG]