Fiddling with Windage and Elevation at the Range

Discussion in 'Firearm Related' started by rjinga, Aug 5, 2017.

1. rjinga

rjinga Member

I was shooting German surplus ammunition out of my PTR 91, GI model rifle, off of a table with my ammo box/airsoft BB sock gun-rest. Irons sights; no scope. The targets are shown in the order that I shot them. I started off with 12†x 18†targets (turned sideways, so really 18†x 12â€) at 200, 300, and 400 yds.
    [​IMG]

First five rounds at 200 yds:
    [​IMG]

First five rounds at 300 yds:
    [​IMG]
    (Shots 1, 3, and 4 were misses.)

First five rounds at 400 yds:
    [​IMG]
    Along with dealing with the distance, I put the target up too high and it was partially hidden in the shadow of the target frame.

Second five rounds at 400 yds:
    [​IMG]
    I attached the target to a white backer (old target turned around) and put it lower on the frame. (Shots 1, 3, and 5 were misses; wide I’m guessing.)

Second five rounds at 300 yds:
    [​IMG]
    (Shots 1 and 2 were misses.)

Second five rounds at 200 yds:
    [​IMG]
    At the end of that string I moved the rear sight to the left a little.

Now I put a “Bunker†target at 100 yds and fired five rounds at it:
    [​IMG]

And then another five rounds:
    [​IMG]

Third five rounds at 200 yds:
    [​IMG]
    The 5th shot either totally missed the target or it went through one of the other holes. After that string, I moved the rear sight a little more to the left.

10 rounds at 200 yds:
    [​IMG]
    After the 5th round (shots 3 & 4 were misses), I raised the elevation 1/8 of a turn. At the end of the string I moved the rear sights to the right and brought the elevation up again (not sure of the amount).

2nd 10 rounds at 200 yds:
    [​IMG]
    After the 3rd round I lowered the elevation ¼ of a turn. After the 5th round I moved the rear sight a little to the left, and lower the elevation another ¼ of a turn.

Third five rounds at 300 yds:
    [​IMG]

Third five rounds at 400 yds:
    [​IMG]

2. rjinga

rjinga Member

Cont.

At this point I put up a small bulls-eye target at 50 yds to work on the windage some more. However, I forgot to take a photo of it. Then, to finish up the day, I put up these two targets at 50 yds:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    (The diameters of the circles are 1â€, 1.5â€, 3.25â€, and 5.5â€)

3. gunsmoker

gunsmoker Lawyer and Gun Activist

You are really, really, making me want to get my M1A or an AR-15 out at the range with iron sights.
    The last time I shot a centerfire military battle rifle with irons sights was an SKS, and I missed the entire paper at 75 yards.
    Either my group was the size of a hula hoop, or my sights were way off. This is a rifle that I rarely shoot at paper, using it instead of making the water splash in the creek, or shooting old Coke cans filled with muddy creek water.

There was a time, 20 years ago, when I shot highpower matches with ARs and M1-A's and Garands. There was a time when I was pretty good with peep sights, or even open sights like on Mausers or Moisins. But.... as my eyes get older.... I think I'm losing it.

4. OWM

OWM Well-Known Member

I was thinking the same thing. Man would it be something to get on the range with a M14 at the 500 yard line and have a go at it at this point in my life. I would however like for the Drill Instructor to not be present.

5. rjinga

rjinga Member

Actually, yesterday I was talking with two of the officers of the gun club I recently joined. I was asking about the upcoming 300/400, 600, and 1000 yd matches this month. As I suspected, these matches are geared toward rifles with optics, shooting at smallish targets.

I was telling them that I just wanted to an opportunity to try to get on a larger target at 600 and 1000 yds with iron sights. They were open to the idea of a service rifle/iron sights event, if enough people were interested.

6. Scout706

Scout706 Well-Known Member

Which range, rjinga? I plan on driving to Talladega Marksmanship park this Saturday to zero my M1, M1A, and maybe AR. A long drive, but it is all automated, no need for manning the pits. You get on target at 25 or 100 yards, then move to the 200/300/600 range. Two ranges, golf cart included in fee to transfer from one range to next - worth the trip, I hope.

7. rjinga

rjinga Member

Elbert County Gun Club. I can bring a guest, if you're interested in going sometime.

I sent you a PM.

I really enjoyed it and want to go back.

8. moe mensale

moe mensale Well-Known Member

If you plan on using this rifle more for social work rather than making small groups on paper, you don't want to be fiddling with the windage. Just mechanically center the rear sight (+ or - a click or two) to whatever keeps you centered up and leave it be. Learn to use holdovers for wind calls.