Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone!
New here, (to the board) new here (to Georgia)
Gotta gun itch... I like em' born and raised in SoCal never had a firearm other than a .22 rifle prior to living here in Ga. my younger brother is a LEO with the LAPD but I never really gave protection a thought (beyond what I could physically handle) until I saw what happened in N.O.
Anyway, gotta 9mm and being a guy I like things that are fast or loud or , well, hell combination of both is really cool.
So... my question is , how hard is it to get an FFL?
I'm a stay at home Dad at the moment, and since I've kinda got this firearm bug I thought maybe I'd work it out of the house between changing diapers and pull-ups.
I'm in a residential neighborhood and I would prefer that my neighbors be unaware of what I'm doing. Ya know, Soccer Moms get a little upset at Baby Brittney wielding a 1911.
Is zoning a serious issue?
I'm planning on a big safe, for my own use as well. Safety won't be an issue...I've got kids.
well? how about it.. any thoughts?
Do I put my "jumping thru hoops shoes" on?
what are my chances?
Thanks everybody in advance!

·
69,744 Posts
I am sure someone will chime in with some links, but the ATF has made it harder for dealers to operate without storefront in the last decade or so.

·
Registered
787 Posts
I looked into it a couple of years ago. In Cobb, running a business out of your house is a no-no. I beleive one of the forms the ATF have you get signed is one from the County Government stating that the zoning allows for the operation of a business. My violation issue was "inventory storage" which is not allowed.

If your house is zoned so you can operate a business and keep inventory, then you'll have no problem getting a license. That issue seems to be the gate keeper.

BTW - Being a FFL is not all glamor and fancy guns. You have lots of risk (legal compliance with ATF's stupid arse rules) and operate in a limited market. You may want to see if you like the business by working part time at a gun store.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I thank you both for taking the time to answer my question.
So, (not that I would) getting on welfare is probably easier than doing a start-up business from home. I appreciate your thoughts on the subject.
Bob C

1 - 4 of 4 Posts