FFL transfers

Discussion in 'Firearm Related' started by futureusr, Jan 30, 2011.

1. futureusr

futureusr A Typical Cat

So when I was in PA and purchased guns either privately or online we had a pafoa.org member local to my area with a FFL that would receive firearms and perform the PICS and paper work for a flat 25 dollar fee.

My first question is if there is anyone local to Bulloch county or Savannah who performs a similar service?

My second question is why is a local firearms dealer telling me he has to charge me GA sales tax for an internet purchase I want to have transferred to him as well as 10% of the purchase price of the item? I am not purchasing the gun from him or even purchasing it in the state of GA. I am only using him to receive the item I have purchased from someone else not in the state of GA. I can understand the 10% fee for the FFL service if that is what he wants to charge and I can choose to either pay that or go elsewhere. But his insistence that he must also charge me GA sales tax sounds like total BS and he is just looking to pad his fee under cover of state tax law.

So anyone in the know please educate me.

2. 1str8shot

1str8shot New Member

tc outdoors charges $25 to transfer. SGS charges $25 if its a gun they cant get, and $40 if its a gun they can get.

3. ga_trucklvr

ga_trucklvr Member

I recently bought a gun from an out of state dealer and had it sent to a local gun shoop for FFL transfer. They charged me a flat fee. No sales tax.

Sounds like someone is trying to overcharge you.

Are you close to Savannah? I know that a regular on this board works in one of the local shops there and I do not believe he would take advantage of you. :)

4. 1str8shot

1str8shot New Member

mathar1 works at patricks. he will treat you right.

5. futureusr

futureusr A Typical Cat

Thanks guys! I guess I must have rip me off printed across my forehead or something. Maybe it is because my accent has faded some after almost twenty years out of state. Seems I can't get a break on that. When I was up North mechanics would consistently try to rip me off telling me I needed new distributor caps or some other such crap assuming I was a hick that did not know anything about vehicles. And now that I am back South seems like some gun dealers are assuming I am some sorta jerk they can try to rip off as well. :(

6. Match10

Match10 Active Member

According to my sales tax of Georgia information.... You are buying a new gun. You are (by law) receiving it in Georgia. You do pay sales tax, though you are required to do so personally on your income tax return, and not at the dealer. The dealer likely would include it on his own ledger reciepts and consider it a sale, since that is essentially a "sale". (He hands you a new gun.)

7. 45_Fan

45_Fan Well-Known Member

I hope that dealer was thinking you wanted them to locate a certain gun for you, not just a transfer where you have done the rest of the work. If not, they are just asking to have a used no-name gun moved through just for the annoyance. Be sure to emphasize "Best transfer price I've ever had" when they tack 16% onto the $25 price you pay for such a gun... :shattered:

There are several dealers in your area that will treat you right on a flat fee if you give them a call.

8. mathar1

mathar1 New Member

You do NOT pay sales tax on a transfer to the person doing the transfer itself. The tax has been paid on the object at the POS when/if it is applicable. An FFL transfer is a service and not a good and therefore non-taxable.

On a side note we at Patricks do FFL transfers for a straight $25 with a GFL ($35 without) fee if it is something I cannot get and $40 with GFL (or $50 without) if it is something I can. People complain about the GFL vs no GFL but background checks cost us money...so get a GFL and save money. Our range members get theirs for $15 with GFL and $20 without.

9. futureusr

futureusr A Typical Cat

On reflection I think perhaps this dealer was assuming something along these lines and perhaps I did not communicate my intentions adequately. I would hope so but I think he wanted to have the sale directly from him and hence all the BS. I have a bad taste in my mouth with this shop now for this and other reasons and I will refrain from dealing with them at all in the future.

10. Match10

Match10 Active Member

Correct.... But, you DO OWE sales tax on the new gun shipped into Georgia.