Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have a couple questions for the guys with or knowledge of FFL's.

To purchase a firearm and ship it out of state it has to go thru a FFL unless you are shipping to yourself. Do you still have to use a FFL if it an in state sale? I have read much on the ATF site but have only found subjects for shipping out of state.

I am getting ready to apply for my C&R but have also thought about getting a dealer FFL for a side business mostly transfers. What exactly does "must intend to engage in a firearms business" mean. Would running a business from your home with proper security (safe) primarily for transfers or guns shows qualify? Just curious about the ATF I know local and all laws may have different variations.

·
Registered
8,809 Posts
S&W 40 said:
Have a couple questions for the guys with or knowledge of FFL's.

To purchase a firearm and ship it out of state it has to go thru a FFL unless you are shipping to yourself. Do you still have to use a FFL if it an in state sale? I have read much on the ATF site but have only found subjects for shipping out of state.
You're correct. If it's in-state, you can do a face to face (both parties have to reside in the same state). I'm pretty sure it has to go through an FFL if you ship it in state (even if both parties reside in the same state).

I am getting ready to apply for my C&R but have also thought about getting a dealer FFL for a side business mostly transfers. What exactly does "must intend to engage in a firearms business" mean. Would running a business from your home with proper security (safe) primarily for transfers or guns shows qualify? Just curious about the ATF I know local and all laws may have different variations.
I'm not sure on this one. PM a member here... cdtracing. He should know more about this, I believe.

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
The ATF looks a t the FFL as a store front. You can operate the business from your home. You are required to have a place of business, seperate from living quarters, secure gun storage (safes), and hours of operation.

In my case I have an office downstairs in my garage, walled off with a seperate key than the house, and my hours of operation for the ATF are 1900 to 2100 Wedensday and Thursday. This was enough to satisfy the requirements. The only issue I had was a county ordinance restricting retail sales from a home. After a sit down with my county comissioner he made a call to the zoning office and got a waiver for me. All I did was mention that a lot of people sell Avon, Amway, or Tupperware from their homes here in Cherokee Co.
(Now I'm selling Tupperware Guns) :shattered:

Any shipping of firearms either in or out of state must go to an FFL.

Chris

·
Registered
2,205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
CD,

Thanks for that info, do you have ref from the ATF site or handbook?

·
Registered
8,809 Posts
From the FAQs section on ATF's site

May a non-licensee transport firearms interstate for sporting or other lawful purposes? [Top]

Yes, provided the weapon is unloaded and in a locked trunk or, in a vehicle lacking a trunk, in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console. Also, the carrying and transportation must be lawful in the place of origin and destination.
:?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.