FEMA Wants You To Have a Bug Out Bag!

Discussion in 'Off-topic' started by EJR914, Nov 4, 2010.

1. EJR914

EJR914 Cheezburger Operator

2. JiG

JiG Awaiting censure

3. martin_j001

martin_j001 Active Member

They forgot to mention the numerous weapons and tools that can become weapons that most of us have in our bags.... Hopefully they'll forget those are in there altogether if and when SHTF. :)

4. bgs210

bgs210 Luggage Killer

Remind me why I don't have a Bug Out Bag...

Oh yeah, If/when the SHTF my whole house/farm is my bug out kit. Should I take a direct hit, I would rather go down with the ship than abandon!

Y'all are welcome to join me.
    IF --- you can find me! [​IMG]

5. Paladin

Paladin Fattus Patrickus

My wife and I still maintain our BOB even though we've since moved to a more rural local. Ya just never know.

6. RepeatDefender

RepeatDefender New Member

I'll be bugging in. But I do maintain a BOB/Get Home Bag in my vehicle, just in case I'm stranded somewhere or have to get home on foot. :righton:

7. politenessman

politenessman Active Member

I have a whole philosophy about BoBs, and so forth, which I would be happy to post if folks are interested.
    Its good to see .gov get behind this sort of thing, but they have been pushing this since Katrina - not very well, but this is nothing new from them.

8. martin_j001

martin_j001 Active Member

Brings up an aspect I had given thought to, not sure if others have or not.... Part of anyones plan include a common gathering place--not just your home for instance, but a place where you and maybe a couple other families/friends will meet if/when SHTF? Maybe at the friends house who has the most guns or something, the biggest 4WD vehicle, closest to the lake/river, etc...???

Not sure about others here, but I'm always up for reading others thoughts and opinions on preparedness.

9. bgs210

bgs210 Luggage Killer

Now that's an idea I can get behind!!! :righton:

10. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

Part of my plan includes getting to Adairsville, and then it's horseback into the mountainds.

11. ookoshi

ookoshi Moderator

The Bug Out Bag is there so you can get home safe to fortify or to stock up before leaving.

My BOB is in my car, and separated into 2 components. First is a fanny pack that I can put on for hiking day trips, and other scenarios where I'm out in the wilderness but not expecting any trouble. It's mostly about being able to stay warm, dry, and hydrated, and signaling devices. The second backpack I leave in my car and is there for emergencies that come up when I have access to my car when the event occurs, and is an extension of the first bag. It has a more durable shelter, more comprehensive first aid kit, real tools (shovel, hatchet, etc.), food, backup firearm (locked up in the car gun safe and not in the bag itself), etc.

Once you get home, I would assume most anyone that would have a BOB has 10x as much supplies that they would load up before leaving their home if it was necessary.

I am WAY short on using up my Flexible Spending Account this year, and it's use it or lose it, so I may end up getting an Automated External Defibrillator to add to my Car's BOB.

12. Priest

Priest New Member

I have a pretty good get home kit going on, but it isnt done yet. Since I am all over the place for work and a lot of time I am deep ITP, I need to have the resources to get back up to the North side towards home if things start falling apart. A good example of this was just a regular work day a few weeks ago. There was no emergency, no fleeing people, no predatory sheep raiding... it took me over 2 hours to get 23 miles from Buckhead to Kennesaw when the job was done. If it were a SHTF scenario ITP, I probably would have never made it in the truck. I would have had to foot it out with what I could carry and hope for the best.

I have plans to purchase a Bronco I am going to set up as my company vehicle that I am going to try to outfit to make it more capable for going places that might get me further... I also plan to outfit it better for storing tools and material that might help me make it out if I do have to foot it home and leave the truck.

13. rmodel65

rmodel65 Yukon Cornelius

i love Broncos...if i had to have one though id get one of the 85ish models with the i6 and 4spd they are the bullet proof...i have an 85 f150 with the same drivetrain and its the flawless but i need to get it painted i want to buy a 4x4 for parts and convert mine. but i have a 4x4 taco that gets great MPG if i needed to use it to get out of town etc

14. rmodel65

rmodel65 Yukon Cornelius

i love Broncos...if i had to have one though id get one of the 85ish models with the i6 and 4spd they are the bullet proof...i have an 85 f150 with the same drivetrain and its the flawless but i need to get it painted i want to buy a 4x4 for parts and convert mine. but i have a 4x4 taco that gets great MPG if i needed to use it to get out of town etc

15. Priest

Priest New Member

The plan for me is an 88 to 91... if there is a good deal a 92 to 95, no 96 though. The ultimate plan if time and money allows would be to swapp in 1 ton axles and an IDI driveline out of a 250HD or 350 truck. The IDI will run just about no matter what. It will go through EMP, it will run even after an electrical breakdown if you hotwire a couple of simple things, can run on used motor oil and ATF as fuel... I've made the joke that an IDI will run on stray cats and dreams if you need it to.

I drive a 94 f150 supercab now. it has 277,000 miles on the original driveline and still goes great. Once I get the Bronco and know it will go well, I'll unload the truck to put more money directly into the Bronco.

16. AV8R

AV8R Banned

Here's the official Bugout Truckâ„¢

[​IMG]

17. EJR914

:lol: Red Dawn?

I would love to get a 60's to 70-ish Bronco 4wd for bugout. Those things can climb anything with a little modification and they have independent 4 wheel positive traction. My uncle owns a few, wins those climbing competitions all the time. Of course, they are really stripped down and fixed up.

18. EJR914

Its also very funny, because they are basically admitting the truth, that no matter how much of our tax dollars FEMA wastes, and they still cannot protect you and are basically no good at all in the face of a disaster or time of emergency.

They are basically admitting that they know they are just about useless. At least they are kind of letting people know the truth. In case of an emergency, you need to be able to provide for yourself.

On top of that, what's next? Telling everyone they need a gun for self-protection because law enforcement can't protect you? :lol:

19. AV8R

AV8R Banned

Just curious... Is FEMA advising to pack all your identification and weapons then proceed to the nearest FEMA camp for "protection?"

:foilhat:

20. JiG

JiG Awaiting censure

No, FEMA doesn't advise packing weapons.