Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Seasteading Aficionado
Joined
·
44,896 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was in a different state today, when I saw a huge sign posted above the entrance that said it was a Felony, and 10 years in prison to bring a firearm into this establishment. It was a really good Grille. I'm assuming it was because they also served alcohol there, but it was definitely a restaurant first, and drinks were just an after thought.

Unbelievable! I'm so glad that's not the law here in GA anymore. We have GCO to thank for that! :D :righton:
 

·
Lawyer and Gun Activist
Joined
·
28,110 Posts
The "felony" and "10 years in prison" part was never in Georgia's "public gathering" law that applied to restaurants.
 

·
Seasteading Aficionado
Joined
·
44,896 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
gunsmoker said:
The "felony" and "10 years in prison" part was never in Georgia's "public gathering" law that applied to restaurants.
I'm fully aware of that, but it was illegal before the passage of HB89, none the less.
 

·
Seasteading Aficionado
Joined
·
44,896 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
rainmaker said:
What state was it?
TEXAS! I know... hard to believe that their gun laws are so Draconian and strict. Texas used to be all about freedom, but now it appears their legislature has taken a lot of the gun rights away from legal, licensed carriers.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,703 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,594 Posts
I'm not sure it's a felony, but it's also illegal to carry into a restaurant that serves alcohol in North Carolina, even if you are licensed. Don't even think about going to an Applebees for lunch, even though you may not drink.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,051 Posts
If they get 51% of their revenue from alcohol sales then it's a felony in Texas whether you have a permit or not. They are required by law to post signs letting you know if they have that. Either a sign like the one you saw or a 51% sign. Some places that are illegal to carry have no punishment if they fail to post the sign even though normally it would be illegal (such as hospitals etc).

My folks live in Texas so I always brush up on their laws before heading out there for a visit and their laws are much worse for citizens rights than Georgia's.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,835 Posts
Don't even get me started on TN....

RTC in resturants is back in effect but they still must post the signage stating it is a misdemeanor b/c that sign is in a different part of the law that hasn't changed yet. I got my butt flamed on a TN forum for stating I was saddened by my lost right to consume a nice beer with my steak in their state after moving from GA and FL.

I can't wait to finish up on my contract job up here..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
181 Posts
Not to doubt your credibility EJR, but having lived in Texas for three months, I'm certain that sign was referring to unlicensed carry. And of course, a GFL reciprocates in TX, so you're good.

But there are two signs I've seen at establishments in that state. One is the one that you see at practically every restaurant, which explains the penalty for unlicensed carry of firearms. It's kind of a stupid sign anyway, since carrying unlicensed is a crime even outside of that place. So it's basically irrelevant. And the second sign is the one at clubs and bars which explains the penalties for ANY kind of carry on a plain white placard with a big red 51% in the background.

Except for the prohibition of open carry, Texas is very much a gun friendly state.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,352 Posts
EJR914 said:
I was in a different state today, when I saw a huge sign posted above the entrance that said it was a Felony, and 10 years in prison to bring a firearm into this establishment. It was a really good Grille. I'm assuming it was because they also served alcohol there, but it was definitely a restaurant first, and drinks were just an after thought.

Unbelievable! I'm so glad that's not the law here in GA anymore. We have GCO to thank for that! :D :righton:
So you went ahead and gave them your money ?

But if you was in GA and went to a place that has a similar sign you would take your money elsewhere humm sounds hypocrite to me :lol: :lol: :lol:
 

·
Seasteading Aficionado
Joined
·
44,896 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Tech5 said:
EJR914 said:
I was in a different state today, when I saw a huge sign posted above the entrance that said it was a Felony, and 10 years in prison to bring a firearm into this establishment. It was a really good Grille. I'm assuming it was because they also served alcohol there, but it was definitely a restaurant first, and drinks were just an after thought.

Unbelievable! I'm so glad that's not the law here in GA anymore. We have GCO to thank for that! :D :righton:
So you went ahead and gave them your money ?

But if you was in GA and went to a place that has a similar sign you would take your money elsewhere humm sounds hypocrite to me :lol: :lol: :lol:
Business lunch, I wasn't paying, and I actually asked the guy about that, and he said that EVERY restaurant in downtown Brenham, TX had that exact same sign in them, because they make a little money at lunch, not many people drink, but then at night, they make a lot of money from drinks, so they really do not make most of their money off or food. It just appears that way at lunch.

So I asked him to leave, and he was paying, and he said we were staying because there was no way in hell he was going hungry. We walked to the restaurant by the way. No place to go in that didn't have that sign within walking distance. :x
 

·
Seasteading Aficionado
Joined
·
44,896 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
jlcnuke said:
If they get 51% of their revenue from alcohol sales then it's a felony in Texas whether you have a permit or not. They are required by law to post signs letting you know if they have that. Either a sign like the one you saw or a 51% sign. Some places that are illegal to carry have no punishment if they fail to post the sign even though normally it would be illegal (such as hospitals etc).

My folks live in Texas so I always brush up on their laws before heading out there for a visit and their laws are much worse for citizens rights than Georgia's.
This, jlcnuke nailed it on the head. I did some research, and I talked to the business contact recently about that. He said that all the little restaurants in downtown Brenham, TX make their money by serving mostly food for lunch to the work crowd, but then at night they basically turn into bars that serve food, and they make MOST of their money from alcohol as a gross of sales. That's how the make their money and that's how they've they've stayed open in this bad economy, although TX's economy is doing a hell of a lot better than Georgia's right now.

The restaurant where I was eating lunch was off-limits to lawful-licensed gun carriers, even during the day, because AT NIGHT they make most of their money from alcohol, even if it was the BEST darn hamburger I have ever eaten, and I'm not kidding you.

They even had paintings of tasteful nude women all over the wall when you went into the bathrooms. :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
282 Posts
Tech5 said:
EJR914 said:
I was in a different state today, when I saw a huge sign posted above the entrance that said it was a Felony, and 10 years in prison to bring a firearm into this establishment. It was a really good Grille. I'm assuming it was because they also served alcohol there, but it was definitely a restaurant first, and drinks were just an after thought.

Unbelievable! I'm so glad that's not the law here in GA anymore. We have GCO to thank for that! :D :righton:
So you went ahead and gave them your money ?

But if you was in GA and went to a place that has a similar sign you would take your money elsewhere humm sounds hypocrite to me :lol: :lol: :lol:
It's not hypocritical if it's the law that the establishment is following and not a policy that they set.
 
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top