Feds Order Apple And Google To Hand Over Names Of 10,000+ Users Of A Gun Scope App

Discussion in 'In the News' started by RedDawnTheMusical, Sep 6, 2019.

1. RedDawnTheMusical

RedDawnTheMusical Well-Known Member

https://www.forbes.com/sites/thomas...-10000-users-of-a-gun-scope-app/#77c38ca26135

2. Wegahe

Wegahe NRA Instructor

Well I guess I'm on another list now. I use the app with my ATN 4K Pro which is installed on my Ruger SR556 rifle. I might as well post the info since they will get it anyway.

What's one more list? I'm on so many already it doesn't even bother me anymore.

3. Wegahe

Wegahe NRA Instructor

As anti gun as Google and Apple are why would they fight it?

4. RedDawnTheMusical

Apple are big privacy nuts and fight the government on requests all of the time, so it will be interesting. I wonder if we will even hear what the outcome was.

5. Nemo

Nemo Man of Myth and Legend

Click the link and read the article. They have all kinds of good reasons. Someone it smuggling scopes and stuff in violation of ITAR. This info should help the fed probably find them.

Nemo

6. Baba Yaga

Baba Yaga Active Member

The Obsidian core has a particular checksum value burned into the chip within the device. Retrieval of any device should be and or could be traced back to documents with in the shipping manifests. They seem to already know where they were sent, So I still have to ask why do you need every ones data?

There is software that has to be downloaded from ATN for some new features to work. this to could also be tracked from specific servers associated with these shipments.

Funny, I have one of these scopes, If they're being used against or troops, BAD news. I hunt poachers on my property down here with it. Works Damn good spotting humans, Also on tasty Hogs!

Last edited: Sep 7, 2019
  7. Wegahe

Wegahe NRA Instructor

The biggest problem is you do not need the app to use the scope. So even if they get the info on everyone who downloaded the app they still do not have all the scopes. They would be better off requesting software updates from ATN that were obtained from a foreign IP address. This would limit the governments intrusion into citizens privacy. On the flip side I live in Georgia, have my 4K pro scope on my Ruger SR556 and have the app on my phone. I also have a suppressor on my 700 rifle with the tax stamp. So they know where I am if they want to be sure I have not shipped it over seas. Just in case anyone doesn't know what thsi scope can do check it out on the ATN web site.

https://www.atncorp.com/x-sight4k-pro-day-night-rifle-scope-5-20x

8. RedDawnTheMusical

But does that outweigh the public's' right to privacy? I say no; especially considering the scope can work without the use of the app, the government could track the sales through orders and manifests, etc.

9. Clark

Clark Well-Known Member

It doesn't matter, it's still a fishing expedition. They aren't going to the court and saying "we think these specific people have these specific devices and we need the company data to confirm. And here's the evidence as to why these specific folks have these specific devices." The courts aren't supposed to exist to make the LEAs jobs easier when the Constitution becomes inconvenient.

Baba Yaga likes this.
  10. zetor

zetor Well-Known Member

I don’t have that app and my scoped rifle only holds one bullet. You have to cock it every time and by turning the bolt thing on the right side. You swing it up and pull it back. It doesn’t even kick the brass thing out. You have to pluck it out with your fingers before you can put the next bullet in.

Attached Files:

Baba Yaga likes this.
  11. Scout706

Scout706 Well-Known Member

Looks like Talladega Marksmanship Park
    That’s some good shooting

12. Baba Yaga

Baba Yaga Active Member

Sweet! Nicest SPORTING rifle I ever seen. They way you were talking, sounded like an old J.C. Higgins single shot from Sears and Roebuck. Man was I wrong lol.

Either way damn fine shooting.

13. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

That looks pretty cool. Have you tried it out in the dark, and how does that work?

14. Wegahe

Wegahe NRA Instructor

It works great in both light and total darkness (inside a closed store room with no windows about 60' long) with the IR on I could see perfectly all be it grey scale. In regular night time the IR just causes it to reach out farther than 100 yards. I have not put a range finder up against it to check it's accuracy but I suspect it will get close enough. Over all I give it a 7.5 out of 10. The image on the app is much better than the screen inside the scope which is slightly snowy. The direction finder (compass) is not all that accurate but would get you by in a pinch. If you want to coyote or hog hunt at night this is an excellent choice at an economical price.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2019
  15. Mrs_Esterhouse

Mrs_Esterhouse Swollen Member

They must be scared about the capabilities this scope gives its users. Makes me want to go buy one now.

16. Wegahe

Wegahe NRA Instructor

My X-Sight 4K Pro on my Ruger SR556
    upload_2019-9-9_13-48-8.png

I attempted to take a photo of the screen inside the scope but I guess the flash messed up the shot.
    upload_2019-9-9_13-48-31.png

I did get a photo of my phone with the app. The shot is of the TV from about 5' away which is why it looks blurred.

upload_2019-9-9_13-49-0.png