Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Glock Block Supporter
2,573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Emails reviewed by The Wall Street Journal show agents with the Immigration and Customs Enforcement agency crafted a plan in 2010 to use license-plate readersâ€"devices that record the plate numbers of all passing carsâ€"at gun shows in Southern California, including one in Del Mar, not far from the Mexican border.
Agents then compared that information to cars that crossed the border, hoping to find gun smugglers, according to the documents and interviews with law-enforcement officials with knowledge of the operation.
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2016/10/0...ow-customers-license-plates-report-finds.html

·
69,784 Posts
Ouch! It might find gun smugglers. It also just casts unnecessary suspicion on anybody at the gun show who also crosses the border.

·
69,784 Posts
There is no indication the gun-show surveillance led to any arrests or investigative leads, but the officials didn't rule out that such surveillance may have happened elsewhere.
Coming to a gun store near you . . .

·
Registered
3,593 Posts
I wish I could say this shocks me, but it doesn't.

·
Under Scrutiny
19,386 Posts

·
Seasteading Aficionado
44,900 Posts
The government should be putting all gun owners under surveillance, I mean after all one of us is just going to lose it and hurt lot of people one day? /sarcasm

·
Proud GCO member.
7,960 Posts
Or avoid gun free zones.

·
Registered
14,956 Posts
The continual collection of massive amounts of data on citizens engaged in legal activities bodes well for future employment by the government.

Eventually everybody will be employed by the government collecting massive amounts of data on themselves. :popcorn:

·
Deplorable bitter clinger.
5,697 Posts
http://www.redstate.com/streiff/201...force-immigration-laws-can-surveil-gun-shows/

This is so eregious that even the ACLU, never a friend of the Second Amendment, has complained.

"Because those two activities in concert fit somebody's idea of a crime, a person becomes inherently suspicious," Jay Stanley, an attorney for the American Civil Liberties Union, told The WSJ. This investigative tactic "highlights the problem with mass collection of data."

"Information on law-abiding gun owners ends up getting recorded, stored, and registered, which is a violation of the 1986 Firearm Owners Protection Act and of the Second Amendment," executive director of Gun owners of America, Erich Pratt, said according to The WSJ.

·
5,697 Posts
I guess I'll be backing in to a parking space at the next gun show I attend.

·
Registered
14,956 Posts
You might be hampering a police investigation. :jail: Just saying.

·
5,697 Posts

·
GeePeeDoHolic
6,414 Posts
Those cars get targeted as having something to hide....

·
5,697 Posts
Those cars get targeted as having something to hide....
I do hope that is another joke. Don't rip away ALL of my trust in LE agencies.

·
Registered
9,360 Posts
parking backwards is a known common practice for LEOs, current/former military, and thieves. if a cop saw a car like that in a big gun show parking lot, he would probably assume it was a fellow cop or former military guy.

·
Proud GCO member.
7,960 Posts
You left out UPS drivers. And Southern Company employees. And BellSouth employees.

·
Seasteading Aficionado
44,900 Posts
Who do you think will be tasked to come by your house and take away your now illegal guns?

·
Registered
14,956 Posts
I know that's a joke, but it's kind of sad joke, isn't it?
Engaging in a legal activity (parking backwards) that may be deemed illegal or at least suspicious by LE is indeed a sad joke. It's the constant expansion of this "small stuff" that continues the expansion of the disrespect toward LE by the citizenry.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.