Federal Workers - At Increased Risk of Crime

Discussion in 'Firearm Related' started by Phil1979, Dec 26, 2010.

1. Phil1979

Phil1979 Member Georgia Carry

Not to be overly sympathetic to federal workers, but they are people, too. And, unfortunately they are at an elevated risk of being victims of crime due to federal laws/rules that prohibit them from being armed while traveling to and from their place of work.

I'm not talking about them being allowed to carry on federal property, but to just be able to leave their gun locked in their car while they're at work, or to have onsite security secure their weapon for them.

To open one's garage to leave for work unarmed, only to have home invaders waiting for you would not be a pleasant thing for anyone. Coming home unarmed to face armed burglars wouldn't be either. Not to mention getting carjacked, or having a road-rage idiot attack you while you're on the road.

And what if you need to stop at the store on the way home and the store is robbed while you're unarmed and helpless?

All of this because the federal government has an inherent distrust of the people to lawfully possess firearms, even for their own employees. :screwy:

2. CountryGun

CountryGun New Member

Ft. Benning allows employees to store firearms in their vehicles while they're at work. On Ft. Gordon; however, you can only transport a firearm to and from ranges or hunting areas. There is no DOD policy. It's up to each garrison commander to right the regulations for each facility. Some are pansies, some not so much.

3. EJR914

EJR914 Cheezburger Operator

Most "regular" workers... in the private sector are also unarmed at work by policy. Usually, it is a firing offense to be caught with a gun on your person at most jobs. Having a gun in the car is all great and dandy, but if you can't have it right then when you need it, a lot of good its going to do in your car.

My advice is to join the private sector and find a pro-carry boss. Its probably hard to find, and its not like you can really ask before employment. Just something you'd basically have to fall into.

Also, there are many more people in the private sector working then there are in the federal sector. Even though government THINKS it can create jobs. It really can't. Not true lasting jobs. Yet, the bigger government gets, the more they employee.

4. ChipM

ChipM Active Member

In Georgia, it is not a firing offense for a government employee to be caught with a gun - it is jail. Not quite the same thing, is it?

5. slammy

slammy New Member

I practice "Don't Ask, Don't tell" at work.

6. Deek

Deek Active Member

In TX one of the neighbors' dogs got loose and picked a fight with our Dingo pup. The Dingo was doing alright until he lost his footing and from then on out he was slowly but surely being killed. A USPS delivery truck driver noticed my Mom and Sister doing everything they could to get the dog off of ours and failing. He pulled the truck up our "driveway" (200 ft of semi flat white rock), got out and asked if they would like him to shoot the dog. He did, after telling them that they would have to agree that he was never their. He got 2 .38 rounds in to the dog and it bolted, actually made it about a mile down the road to it's house and died under the deck. The Dingo recovered in about a week.

God bless Texans.

7. Going Postal

Going Postal New Member

Ditto!!

8. Phil1979

Phil1979 Member Georgia Carry

If my federal worker buddy tried that, he'd eventually get caught. They have random vehicle searches that they must comply with. Being fired from a good job like that, AND going to jail is a ridulous price for an honest citizen that merely wants to have the means of effective and lawful self-defense that is supposed to be secured by the 2nd Amendment.

9. ChipM

ChipM Active Member

It is my opinion that government building carry is equally or more important than campus carry, simply because it affects so many people and so many different places. I believe this needs to be a top priority in the upcoming session.

10. CountryGun

CountryGun New Member

The way laws are written is criminal in and of itself. Senate Bill-308 cleared the way for citizens to keep firearms in the parking lot of government building. Where is it stated that federal buildings are not covered under the law? How is a citizen, one trying his/her best to follow the letter of the law, supposed to know there is a difference?

11. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

:?: Please explain.

12. rmodel65

rmodel65 Yukon Cornelius

i guess he means an employee carrying in an off limits location??

13. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

14. ChipM

ChipM Active Member

For context, here is my entire post:
    EJR made the assertion that "most" private employees risk termination if "caught with a gun on your person." In this case, the only interested parties are the employee and the employer, and if the employee chooses to carry the largest penalty he faces is termination. On the other hand, a public employee (who typically works in a "government building" per OCGA) has an additional party involved in the State. Should the public employee choose, like the private employee, to carry at work he risks arrest for violation of State law and jail time. In my opinion, this is unfair to public employees.