11,904 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Lawyer and Gun Activist
28,519 Posts
good

good article, Phil.

I like this call to action:

What can President Trump realistically do?

He can issue an executive order stating that carrying a firearm for self-defense constitutes a "lawful purpose" under 18 U.S. Code § 930.

Then, he can ask Congress for a bill that codifies it.

Yeah, anybody with a carry permit from ANY STATE (your own state of residence or a state that regularly issues nonresident licenses, like Utah or Florida) should get the "lawful purpose" exception to this law.

As for "open carry" vs. "concealed carry," Phil, you are complicating the issue by bringing that up. I don't give a crap which way it is. I'll carry either way, if the law mandates one but forbids the other. I suggest that the federal law defer to the State law of the state in which the Post Office or other federal building is located. If that state is a concealed-only state like SC or TX or FL, so be it, if that's what it takes to get lawmakers from those states to support this bill.

Trump's not going to do it unless the governors of many states, and many Congress-critters, say this is what they want.

·
American
3,289 Posts
There is long-standing precedent for the Federal Government accepting a license from ANY state as qualifying the person to exercise that right/privilege on Federal property. The VA has for decades required A licensed to practice, but not the license from the state in which the federal property is located, professions as federal employees/contractors on federal reservations.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Accidental cc into national park building.

I visited a national park today carrying concealed. Went into the men's room, came out and noticed a sign forbidding firearms inside the building. I was glad no one noticed and reported a MWAG. I took my pistol to my vehicle before re-entering the building. The potential results I find quite unsettling and annoying. The law needs to be changed for licensed carry.

·
Weapons Law Booklet
1,056 Posts
Visitor's center

I hate how the sign at the visitor's center and bathrooms at Kennesaw Mountain Battlefield Park forces me to "hold it" or sneak off-trail to water the bushes.

·
Member Georgia Carry
11,904 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I believe Federal law states that a building has to house Federal employees or contractors, and must be posted. If the restroom is a separate building, that is only a restroom, you should be good to be armed in there.

·
Member Georgia Carry
11,904 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I wonder when President Trump (No More Gun-Free Zones) will address unsecured buildings in Federal Parks.

·
Lawyer and Gun Activist
28,519 Posts
I believe Federal law states that a building has to house Federal employees or contractors, and must be posted. If the restroom is a separate building, that is only a restroom, you should be good to be armed in there.
Yes, this is a good point. If it's a free-standing bathroom (outhouse or porta-potty) you should be OK to carry under 18 U.S.C. 930, but if the bathrooms are in a visitor's center, park ranger's office, or some other building that is the workplace of federal employees or contractors, then it's off-limits.

If there is signage, or if the person otherwise has ACTUAL knowledge of the gun ban for that location.

Title 18 of the U.S. Code, section 930:
(g) As used in this section:
(1) The term “Federal facility†means a building or part thereof owned or leased by the Federal Government, where Federal employees are regularly present for the purpose of performing their official duties.

·
Senior Mumbler
6,602 Posts
Title 18 of the U.S. Code, section 930:
(g) As used in this section:
(1) The term “Federal facility†means a building or part thereof owned or leased by the Federal Government, where Federal employees are regularly present for the purpose of performing their official duties.

:wink:

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
Probably all janitorial personnel are not federal employees but contractors.

·
Old, Slow, Boring Dude
2,525 Posts
I wonder if he has as much power as the janitor at the Georgia Capitol?

·
Man of Myth and Legend
15,135 Posts
There is long-standing precedent for the Federal Government accepting a license from ANY state as qualifying the person to exercise that right/privilege on Federal property. The VA has for decades required A licensed to practice, but not the license from the state in which the federal property is located, professions as federal employees/contractors on federal reservations.
Same as a Bar Card. Any Bar Card (admission to any state bar, license to practice law) will work in any state if you are in Federal Court.

Nemo

1 - 13 of 13 Posts