Federal Government To Resume Executions of Certain Murderers

Discussion in 'Off-topic' started by Phil1979, Jul 25, 2019.

1. Phil1979

Phil1979 Member Georgia Carry

2. gunsmoker

gunsmoker Lawyer and Gun Activist

Why does it take high ranking department of justice officials to specifically named five individuals who should be executed when hundreds of federal prisoners have already been ordered to be put to death by the judges who sentenced them ?

When a judge says to the government "kill this prisoner who has now been convicted of murder" that judge's order (called a death warrant) should only be delayed long enough for the person to file an appeal. If their appeal is denied, they should be executed immediately afterward.

Anytime a convicted murderer under a death warrant does not have in his file a currently valid injunction or order from a judge saying "don't carry out the death warrant that some other judge has previously signed" then prison officials should go ahead and schedule the execution.

3. gunsmoker

gunsmoker Lawyer and Gun Activist

I'll assume That Trump gave approval after reviewing these five men's cases, and they're probably the most unsympathetic characters in all of the federal prison system. I would be surprised if any of them were black or Hispanic, so as to not open up Trump for more accusations of racism.

4. RedDawnTheMusical

RedDawnTheMusical Well-Known Member

I suspect that this may be done to give a 'tough on crime' optic to counter Trump's "First Step Act" where he received criticism from some on the Right that he would be releasing hardened criminals back into the public just to score points with the Left.

5. Nemo

Nemo Man of Myth and Legend

Just kill them all. Let God sort them out.

Nemo

6. mrhutch

mrhutch Well-Known Member

7. moe mensale

moe mensale Well-Known Member

I'm surprised that Bourgeois POS managed to stay alive for the last 15 years. His type usually comes to an untimely and inglorious end.

8. StarJack

StarJack Well Aged Member

William Barr is the real deal. Thank God in heaven.

9. phantoms

phantoms Senior Mumbler

10. Nemo

Nemo Man of Myth and Legend

When considering the idea of execution and balancing out the costs of continuing, ongoing appellate litigation against the idea of locking in a box, feeding, guarding and all those costs, the life without possibility of parole is substantially cheaper.

And, if the world ever gets into the hand basket they will probably starve or die of thirst in their cell. Usually a most fitting end.

As appropriate as execution generally is (IMHO) the balance often goes to LWOP. Because they are not worth spending the money on.

Besides, imagine yourself in a 6' x 9' box with almost nothing else for 23 hours a day for the first 5 years. Just kill me before I get there is my thoughts.

Nemo

11. moe mensale

moe mensale Well-Known Member

Appeals should be limited both in number and time frames.

12. mrhutch

mrhutch Well-Known Member

Should be a two appeal limit. Case is top priority on the court calendar for each, no more than 12 months between trials. After you lose your second appeal, you go straight from the courthouse to the execution chamber.