Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4,322 Posts
It's almost scary how something written in the 80's could have so much relevance to today,
We felt the novel was very prescient to how the political climate is at the moment. It really showed what can happen when society is ruled by government, rather than the government being run as a voice of the people. I don't think it’s such a big leap to say that things like that can happen when leaders stop listening to the people.

â€" Director James McTeigue, V for Vendetta
No. What you have are bullets and the hope that when your guns are empty I'm no longer standing, because if I am, you'll all be dead before you've reloaded-V

Beneath this mask there is more than flesh. Beneath this mask there is an idea, Mr. Creedy, and ideas are bulletproof.-V

Tonight, I will speak directly to these people and make the situation perfectly clear to them. The security of this nation depends on complete and total compliance. Tonight, any protestor, any instigator, or agitator will BE MADE EXAMPLE OF!-Sutler
and of course my personal favorite...from the novel and movie, but inspired by Thomas Jefferson,

People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people.
And of course Orwell still has relevance almost 60 years after publishing 1984, the changes have been small, inches at a time...but inches turn to feet and feet to miles. And then... you only have inches.

It was at night that they came for you, always at night. The proper thing was to kill yourself before they got you. Undoubtedly some people did so. But it needed desperate courage to kill yourself in a world where firearms, or any quick and certain poison, were completely unprocurable. He thought with a kind of astonishment of the biological uselessness of pain and fear, the treachery of the human body which always freezes into inertia at exactly the moment when a special effort is needed. He might have silenced the dark-haired girl if only he had acted quickly enough: but precisely because of the extremity of his danger he had lost the power to act. It struck him that in moments of crisis one is never fighting against an external enemy, but always against one's own body- 1984
Sometimes, too, they talked of engaging in active rebellion against the party, but with no notion of how to take the first step. Even if the fabulous Brotherhood was a reality, there still remained the difficulty of finding one's way into it. 1984

·
Registered
4,322 Posts
I know, my formatting was off, fixed now

·
Registered
8,809 Posts
slabertooch said:
I know, my formatting was off, fixed now
Oh ok, cool. It's kind of weird how that book was written that long ago and can almost accurately predict such behavior... I'm sure plenty of people thought Orwell was crazy then as do many feel about those with non-mainstream opinions now.

·
68,968 Posts
Ever read Atlas Shrugged?

You would never know it was 1950s to read it . . .

Published in the 50s, written in the 40s, I think. It could have been today.

·
Token Liberal Hippie
13,680 Posts
Malum Prohibitum said:
Ever read Atlas Shrugged?

You would never know it was 1950s to read it . . .

Published in the 50s, written in the 40s, I think. It could have been today.
One of my favorites.

Ever read Brave New World by Aldous Huxley?

·
68,968 Posts
Yes. Fahrenheit 451 by Bradbury? All along the same lines.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts