Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5,798 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is a report from the FBI more thorough than one from GCIC?

·
Registered
2,205 Posts
Doing a quick google and the GCIC is the georgia and the NCIC is the FBI, each check at a different level state v fed.

·
68,657 Posts
Although NICS is administered through the FBI, too, and it contains more than either of the two mentioned.

·
Registered
5,798 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What I am getting at is...when a background check is done for the GFL is it advantageous to have the FBI do the background check when a NICS check done locally would bring back the same information?

edit: so a NICS check is better than the FBI background check or the other way around?

·
68,657 Posts
No, it is not "advantageous." It is absolutely redundant. A waste of time and energy.

It is also not required for the license exemption from NICS at point of purchase.

As for whether a NICS check is "better," it depends on how you look at it. The NICS database contains more information than does NCIC. Is that what you mean?

·
Registered
3,119 Posts
Rammstein said:
What I am getting at is...when a background check is done for the GFL is it advantageous to have the FBI do the background check when a NICS check done locally would bring back the same information?

edit: so a NICS check is better than the FBI background check or the other way around?
From what I understand, the NICS check is more thorough than an FBI print check, which is more thorough than a GCIC print check.

I'm sure someone can correct me if this is wrong.

·
Registered
5,798 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
K. does anyone know where I can find info about what specific information each system has?

·
Registered
5,798 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
btw, MP, did you get my email?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts