FATS Simulator

Discussion in 'Training' started by wsweeks2, Oct 6, 2007.

1. wsweeks2

wsweeks2 New Member

Just went through this last night. Out of 14 people, 10 died. I was the only one who got 2 lethal shots center mass before getting popped myself. Tracked the subject the entire time while she had a knife, and when she dropped it and pulled the gun I dropped her.

Pretty cool how the gun kicked and all. I felt stupid talking to a screen though.

Other than the LEO's on here, has anyone else ever done this?

2. Firearmz

Firearmz New Member

They are pretty cool, I kind of like playing with a $30,000 video game lol.

3. budder

budder Moderator Staff Member

I have. It was interesting, but only a few of the people doing it with me got shot. Unsurprisingly, only me and the guy with a CHL had good shots (the others couldn't even get hits) at ranges greater than RIGHT IN FRONT OF YOU SHOOT SHOOT SHOOT! Apparently juries are taken through FATS for some firearms-related crimes (Houston- don't know what Atlanta does) so that they don't think the ridiculous "why didn't you aim for the gun/arm/leg/flashing red part of his armor?"

4. wsweeks2

wsweeks2 New Member

Big +1 on that video game comment Firearmz.

The biggest thing I realized from the training was how much auditory exclusion can set in. Not one of us heard what the guy was saying when we had our guns drawn on his crazy girlfriend.

5. Thorsen

Thorsen New Member

Never played with this. How does it compare to using MILES gear in the military?

6. Ashe

Ashe Active Member

I've used the fats trainers, and the new version of it as well.

I think my favorite scenario is the shots fire at a warehouse which has a good mix of shoot no shoots.

I never noticed any auditory exclusions going through it. Although I do notice a tendency to kepp glancing around where there is actually no screen.

The situation with a woman with a knife would have had me using the pepper spray pretty quickly

7. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

So, I won't answer . . . :lol:

It IS a lot of fun, and I also feel stupid talking at a screen.

8. wsweeks2

wsweeks2 New Member

Actually, I'd love to hear some of your stories MP et al. I was just wondering if anyone else here has had a chance to use it.

I can't imagine having to get "graded" for performance on that thing though. Talking to the screen is pretty cheesy, but I can see its purpose and I'm sure for Joe LEO who has never fired a gun before, it could make them think.

9. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

When I worked at Safety-Kleen FATS was one of my customers. They had one of our parts cleaners in the shop that converted guns to work on the system, and we did haz-mat disposal for them. Every once once and a while they would let me play while I was there on a service/sales visit. The $30,000 video comment is about right.

10. ls1ssdavid

ls1ssdavid New Member

I am actually a Fats instructor. Fats guys came to my base and qual'ed a bunch of us up to be instructors. There are other similar systems out on the market. I think one is called "Prism". They are all good training tools.

11. ls1ssdavid

ls1ssdavid New Member

Two totally diffrent training systems. FATS is more like a computer system the instructor can use to teach fundamentals or senarios from a classroom type area. miles as you know... is simply a lazer tag system you take into the field.

Edit: Fats is actually run out of Swanee, Georgia. Those guys are really nice and know alot about there systems. The Marine Corps and probobly army for that matter has a contract with them. I think almost all units have access to a FATS system in one way or another. You can shoot basiclly every weapon system threw them.

12. ls1ssdavid

ls1ssdavid New Member

The FATS system can get even more detailed then you probobly saw weeks. If the user knows what he is doing he can set you up on target practice modes. Now these look boring and stupid, but you can break down exactly what the student is doing wrong. Since it runs off of a laser, the computer can track every movement the student makes. I'm talking about very very small movements. If someone is anticipating the shot, it is blatently obvious. Or if the trigger pull isn't smooth you can tell. You can really break down the fundamentals with the system. They are supposed to be coming out with a NEW system soon. So the senarios will change and better graffics. The problem with my Marines is they memorized the screens. Even though the instructor can change the senarios they still memorized em all.

13. wsweeks2

wsweeks2 New Member

After each of us ran our scenario individually, the instructor ran us back through it. Showed us where we were tracking when we had the weapon drawn and where our shots went.

Not all of us got the same result as well. Based on how we handled it, he altered what the woman did. We didn't get the full blown treatment like the recruits, but we got enough to see what the system can do as well as to see how we would have done.

I'd love to be able to spend more time with it though.