Fair Tax Article

Discussion in 'Off-topic' started by glockgirl, Apr 23, 2007.

1. glockgirl

glockgirl New Member

I know several folks on here have talked about this before so figured you might be interested in the article

2. Rammstein

Rammstein New Member

Interesting read.

I was always in favor of the fair tax....now this article is giving me pause.

3. tj2000

tj2000 New Member

HMMMMM!!!!!

I have never been a Bortz fan, I have always looked at him as you would a comedy routine. He is just for entertainment and not to be taken too seriously. :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
    My grandad would tell me " anything that looks to good to be true......" well, you fill in the blanks.
    Fair Tax, Sounds like an oxmoron. I don't think there is anything fair about taxation.
    My $.02.
    :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

4. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

Pause, but don't stop! Jay Bookman :puke: gives you none of his methodology, just results from his calculator. What did he plug into the calculator? Can we not be trusted with this information?

Also, the "panel study" has been criticized as not studying the actual plan, in addition to other criticisms, see here.

And see the FairTax to Income Tax Calculator to figure out your own situation.

5. rajl

rajl New Member

I always liked the idea of the fair tax for the transparency it provides. Not only would it simplify the tax code, but it would make the cost of government much more visible. Too many people think they don't pay taxes now because they "get money back".

6. glockgirl

glockgirl New Member

I am in favor of a national sales tax but I am fuzzy on how the details would best be worked out.

the reason I like the national sales tax is it would catch more illegals and visitors and make them pay. Also as someone who is in the business of preparing taxes you would be amazed how many "poor" folks cheat the system.

Of course I would then lose the best parttime job in the world but oh well! :)

7. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday New Member

What about a Flat tax where everyone pays the same percentage? I know that it taxes the wealthy more but heck.....all those lawyers that carry HK's can afford it. :lol:

8. rajl

rajl New Member

I'm completely against any Flat-Tax, because it would simply return to the current system. Our current income tax system was originally a flat-tax system against "the rich". Politicians slowly added "exceptions" and "slight changes" over the years to please various constituencies. Look where it got us now.

Personally, I don't think we'll ever see the current income tax system simplified or removed. Too many accountants and lawyers depend on their skills at deciphering the arcane insanities of the current code for a reform to be allowed to pass.

9. pro2am

pro2am New Member

I think you hit it pretty close, if not right on. Gone are the "earned income" credits, and all the other perks for not making any money, gone are the "tax shelters" for those that can afford a horse farm in Kentucky, and a vacation home in Vale. Everyone pays into it, it's only the poor that get a refund of their sales tax. Think about it. Everything you buy will be taxed. People generally live UP to their income, meaning, the more they have, the more they spend, and therefore the more they are taxed. I think the key is that EVERYONE will have to pay. Illegals, low income, middle income, high income. Everyone eats, everyone pays taxes on that. No more free rides.

10. Foul

Foul New Member

Plus, you have more direct control of just how much you pay in taxes.
    Don't want to pay a large amount? Live within your means. Purchase used items when possible.

THAT'S how they will make the extra money...many people refuse to live within their means. Many Americans spend like drunks in a strip bar.

11. Rammstein

Rammstein New Member

Hey, I gotta do my part to support single moms. :D

12. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

What? Live within my means? You sound like Dave Ramsey - Act your wage! I see debt people . . .

13. Foul

Foul New Member

LOL.
    It's not easy being a single income family in today's world.
    But the benefit that my kids receive (having a parent available to actually RAISE them properly) is worth the struggle.

I don't live like a king, but smart shopping and learning to do things for ourselves instead of paying others to do it stretches the dollar further.

I don't mind spending every penny I earn if necessary as long as it's spent wisely.

14. Wiley

Wiley New Member

It is astonishing how the detractors such as Bookman have to lie to prove their point.

- You are already paying 22% in hidden federal tax. The cost of goods and services will not increase they will remaine the same. A $100 dollar purchase now will still cost $100 after the Fair Tax. $75 cost + $25 tax = $100.

- Goods will only be taxed once not every time they are sold. Wanna buy a new car? Pay the tax. Wanna buy a used car? NO tax.

Get the FairTax book by Linder/Boortz. It's an easy read and explains all. See if your library has it. Get the second edition.

15. MLS 4506

MLS 4506 Active Member

16. Molon Labe

Molon Labe New Member

Actually, it's everyone who gets the prebate on what they would spend on sales tax, for necessities, up to the poverty level.

17. NetAdminWithGun

NetAdminWithGun New Member

I believe this isn't so much about making taxes less bearable but more to simplify the system.

To much money is wasted figuring out taxes and they are able to raise and lower without many people knowing.

With a national sales tax, people will notice EVERYTIME they raise taxes.

18. pro2am

pro2am New Member

Of course you are correct...I knew that and in my zeal to get it out I typed it completely wrong. Thanks for the correction. No need to diseminate more falsehoods about the FairTax.

19. Tinkerhell

Tinkerhell Active Member

I've been on board with it ever since I heard about the idea from Boortz & did a little research on the topic. The above was the first I have heard about a 2nd book though. That will be good. The more the message gets out the more chance we have of forcing the Congress to "just do it".

20. Wiley

Wiley New Member

Linder and Boortz are working on a 3rd editon.