Failure to extract

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by Khai Russell, Sep 16, 2020.

1. Khai Russell

Khai Russell New Member

Hey i have a 15 and a half inch barrel anderson am 15, first 100 rounds through it were pefect after that i have been having a failure to extractor problem…My ar is now a bolt action firearm lol, it feeds fine it just always keep the spent case inside the barrel with the bolt closed…I purchased the upgraded BCM extractor spring and a new buffer spring plus a kaw valley precision h2 buffer…still have the same problemsss, PLEASE HELPPPP.

2. Hombre

Hombre PITA

Why did a brand new member post this 3 times, in 3 different sub-forums here?

3. TimBob

TimBob Old, Slow, Boring Dude

More importantly... why did you answer all three times! :shock:

Bkite and Khai Russell like this.
  4. Hombre

Hombre PITA

Because I knew it would bug you.

TimBob likes this.
  5. Khai Russell

Khai Russell New Member

Real question is why didnt u answer

6. Hombre

Hombre PITA

Was that a statement or a question?

In either case, I didn't answer because I didn't know the answer. This site is getting flooded with trolls who do odd things with their very first post(s) here.

7. Nemo

Nemo Man of Myth and Legend

There is a fair number here (new or old) who do odd things with many posts.

Nemo :evil:

8. moe mensale

moe mensale Well-Known Member

Check the gas tube connection at the gas block. Check the bolt carrier key where the gas tube fits over it. Check the gas tube itself for kinks, holes, breaks, etc.

BTW, your "15 and a half inch barrel anderson am 15" is illegal unless you have an NFA registered SBR or a permanently attached muzzle device to bring the barrel length over 16".

Smilodon and Khai Russell like this.
  9. moe mensale

Here's a hint for you. You're supposedly 18 y/o. Drop the attitude and you'll get along just fine. Lots of knowledgeable people here to learn from. And no need to ask the same question multiple times in multiple forums. :righton:

10. Khai Russell

Khai Russell New Member

Thanks for the information about the gas block and i do have a muzzle device that puts it around 16 and a half…and i didnt know i had an attitude just didnt make sense for someone to reply without actually replying, but if people wanna waste there time i cant stop them ‍♂️ Thank you again though.

11. moe mensale

You're welcome. I don't guarantee that's your problem but it's a good place to start. And you should verify that barrel length. Anderson's website states the length is 16". That's without the muzzle device. If the barrel is really 15.5" that muzzle device must be permanently attached from the factory. I'm betting it's removable and your barrel is longer than you think.

Drop a dowel longer than the barrel down the barrel on a closed bolt. No ammo of course! Mark the dowel at the end of the muzzle without the muzzle device on it. Remove the dowel and measure to that mark. It will most likely measure 16.1". If not, call Anderson and ask them what the hell they sold you!

gunsmoker likes this.
  12. moe mensale

We've been blessed with a crap ton of spammers lately and you got caught up in it. :righton:

13. Smilodon

Smilodon Active Member

We've seen a bunch of bots and spammers lately and starting multiple threads to ask the same question is something that they would do.

As far as your gun they're pretty simple. It sounds like a problem in the gas system all I can tell you to do is check everything. The gas goes from the barrel through the gas port through the gas block or front sight base, down the gas tube to the gas key on the bcg. If you have a bolt on gas block make sure that it is properly aligned with the gas port in the barrel.

14. Smilodon

Smilodon Active Member

I've never heard of a 15.5" barrel. Normally you see 16-24" barrels or a 14.5" with a permanently attached muzzle device.

15. gunsmoker

gunsmoker Lawyer and Gun Activist

In for clarification on the 15.5" barrel!

16. Bkite

Bkite PawPaw x 3

Hey...Hey...Watch out there!

17. RedDawnTheMusical

RedDawnTheMusical Well-Known Member

I saw the thread title "failure to extract" and was surprised to find out it was a legitimate firearm issue as opposed to.... well.... something else.

18. gunsmoker

gunsmoker Lawyer and Gun Activist

"Did you .... finish?"
    "You didn't take it out.
    You said you'd take it out-- you promised!"
    548B814C-95C0-4A0D-B7CD-124447F389F8.jpeg

19. OWM

OWM Well-Known Member

It took awhile but this thread finally got back to SOP.:righton:

20. moe mensale

Consider the time he posted that. :shakehead: