Factory Fresh Glock 19

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by VolGrad, Oct 1, 2007.

1. VolGrad

VolGrad Tactical Statistician

Don't you just love that new gun smell?

I picked up my factory fresh Glock 19 yesterday. When I say fresh, I mean fresh. I placed my order with my local FFL on Tuesday, Sept 25. It arrived to him on Thursday, Sept 27. When I opened it up yesterday to inspect I noticed the test shells were fired on Friday, Sept 14. Holy cow. That seems pretty fresh to me. I won't even brag about what a deal I got. Based on that alone, I think I might have to buy another Glock soon; probably the 21SF I keep dreaming of.

I have a Comp-Tac MTAC already on order for the G19 and am having night sights installed today (hopefully). I can't wait to fire it.

I guess I hadn't really looked at the size specs on these compared to my G30 very closely. Even though the G30 is called a sub-compact it is almost identical in size to the G19. The noticeable difference is the width. The length is the same, the G19 is only taller by the thickness of the butt plate on the magazine. The G30 slide and grip is slightly fatter. Since I have had no problems concealing the G30, this G19 will really be a breeze.

No, I didn't post pics as everyone knows what a G19 looks like. There are many like it but this one is mine.

Hello, my name is VOLGRAD. I too am an addict.

2. SigP229

SigP229 Active Member

Congrats, enjoy!!!! \:D/

3. GunNut

GunNut New Member

The G19 is an awesome weapon. I love mine. I can shoot it faster and more accurate than most everything I have.....I too want a 21sf....perhaps this week. :D

4. VolGrad

If ever I saw anyone with "too many guns" it would have to be you - if what you have listed for sale is any indication. LOL. I nominate you as president of the gun addict support group.

5. GunNut

GunNut New Member

:D I'm still in denial so I might not make the best president.

6. legacy38

legacy38 Well-Known Member

The 19 is a fine weapon. What sights are you having installed?

I put Ameriglos on my G19 along with a smooth face trigger like on the 17/22 and an extended slide stop.

7. VolGrad

I kind of wanted the XS Big Dots but could never find any info about installation. Then started thinking more about adjusting back and forth between the Trijicons & Sig NS I have on everything else and started to have second thoughts. I will probably just have Clyde put the green/green Trijicons on. For $69, while I wait, that is hard to beat.

Does that sound like a quick turn around from test fire date to in my hand date? I have never looked at the date on the test casings before. I usually just discard them immediately with all the rest of the "reading material".

Extended slide stops - that sounds like a good idea. How much do they usually run? Can I replace them myself? I wouldn't mind having those on all my Glocks.

8. MrMorden

MrMorden New Member

I switched from a G30 to a G19 for carry at the beginning of this year. I think you'll find that the G19 is more than a "little" slimmer than the G30...it may only be a few millimeters, but it makes a world of difference in carry comfort.

9. legacy38

Earlier this year, Glock was 90,000 pistols behind in production. They must have finally caught up and are shipping out to current orders now.

The slide stops aren't that much at all. Glock suggest not using them to release the slide. I've got an extra that you can have, but I don't know when I'll be able to meet up with you to give it to you. I'll even install it, but it's not hard to do at all. You can order them for a few bucks from any of the online Glock parts places and find the instructions online.

10. VolGrad

I don't usually use them to release the slides anyway. If you have one and don't mind holding on to it I will get it soon. I will look for install instructions online just for kicks. Do you need tools? If so, I will have to let you do it.

11. VolGrad

I have a feeling you are right here. I carry my G30 in a CTAC and ordered the MTAC for the G19. I think that will help with comfort a bit too.

12. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

I've got a 23 and eventually want to get sights for it. I haven't shot the 19. I imagine it being essentially the same size, the feel is the same. Obviously recoil/trigger control will be a little bit different.

13. legacy38

You'll need a small punch to push out the pins. I forget the exact size, but there is a Glock tool out there that is just a punch with a plastic handle and the Glock logo that sells pretty cheap. Lone Wolf has a tool that has the punch, a flathead screwdriver, and the nut driver for the front sight that isn't a bad buy, but you can do a full detail strip with just the punch. The flathead is useful to take out the connector, but you can do it without it.

I think I have three or four of the slide stops on hand. You're welcome to one of them.

14. VolGrad

Once tools come into play I get scared off. I am not that handy and wouldn't want to undertake it myself, not without superivision. :lol:

Next time we can meet at the range, if you don't mind we can do it then. I would greatly appreciate it.

Do you think it would affect the fit in my MTAC holster since they are pretty snug fitting?

15. Sharky

Sharky Active Member

Stupid question from a new Glock owner

Why is it not a good idea to release the slide using the slide lock lever?

16. ThetaReactor

ThetaReactor Active Member

There are reports of excessive wear on the slide stop when it's been used as a release. Glock aficionados will tell you to use the slingshot technique, as will most any tactical instructor.

17. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

+1. There is going to be wear anyway just from the use. I've always used slingshot, even though I didn't know that was the "correct" way to do it.

18. Sharky

Sharky Active Member

what is the slingshot method?

Once a mag is emptied and the slide locks back. I enter the mag and then just pull back on the slide allowing it to return to battery? Instead of just pushing down on the slide lock lever?

19. budder

budder Moderator Staff Member

Yes. Like a slingshot :)

20. Sharky

Sharky Active Member