Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

· Read Only
45,177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Facebook is going to use Snopes and other fact-checkers to combat and bury 'fake news'

The decision comes after Facebook received heated criticism for its role in spreading a deluge of political misinformation during the US presidential election, like one story that falsely said the Pope had endorsed Donald Trump.

To combat fake news, Facebook has teamed up with a shortlist of media organizations, including Snopes and ABC News, that are part of an international fact-checking network led by Poynter, a nonprofit school for journalism in St. Petersburg, Florida.

Starting as a test with a small percentage of its users in the US, Facebook will make it easier to report news stories that are fake or misleading. Once third-party fact-checkers have confirmed that the story is fake, it will be labeled as such and demoted in the News Feed.

· Deplorable bitter clinger.
6,125 Posts
Maybe FB could also censor all the stupid clickbait that I see and that I get in my timeline. It's getting ridiculous.

· Registered
385 Posts
Really....

So they are going to shut down fake news? You mean like CNN?

· Registered
3,034 Posts
-OR- Folks could substantially enrich their lives by disconnecting from the fascist website that is "The Facebook".

I know, I know...it's the "only" way to keep up with your best friends and your family. Because we all know that before 2005, there was no way to see what your 3rd cousin from your Mom's 7th marriage had for dinner last night. Meh.

Through the years, I have made decisions that have had positive and negative results. I would like to think that I have had more positive decisions than negative, but what I *do* know was that kicking Facebook to the curb has been one of the absolute BEST decisions I have made this year. Lower blood pressure. More time for *ME*. No more gnashing of teeth over all the stupid ass crap people post. When my wife mentions something she sees on FB, it is a good reminder that I am not missing a DAMN thing.

· Registered
1,883 Posts
-OR- Folks could substantially enrich their lives by disconnecting from the fascist website that is "The Facebook".

I know, I know...it's the "only" way to keep up with your best friends and your family. Because we all know that before 2005, there was no way to see what your 3rd cousin from your Mom's 7th marriage had for dinner last night. Meh.

Through the years, I have made decisions that have had positive and negative results. I would like to think that I have had more positive decisions than negative, but what I *do* know was that kicking Facebook to the curb has been one of the absolute BEST decisions I have made this year. Lower blood pressure. More time for *ME*. No more gnashing of teeth over all the stupid ass crap people post. When my wife mentions something she sees on FB, it is a good reminder that I am not missing a DAMN thing.
:eek:ldtimer:

· Read Only
45,177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
So they are going to shut down fake news? You mean like CNN?
No, they will censor any alternative media, but look, CNN IS the fake news.

When you see A CNN fake news piece, report it. On their FB page that's what I do, screw them.

Facebook knows taxation is theft and took down the IRS webpage after it was reported on Facebook. Theft breaks their community standards.

· Read Only
45,177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Love it

· Registered
2,133 Posts
When you see CNN, MSNBC, ABC, CBS, etc. talk about "fake news", translate that as "a story that wasn't approved for distribution by the DNC."

But when those outlets run a story, it must be real, right?

· Registered
2,133 Posts
Classic fakery from NBC.

· Registered
2,133 Posts
I know, more Mark Dice. But it's pretty funny to hear Brian Williams uttering the phrase.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.