Facebook and Georgia Carry

Discussion in 'Off-topic' started by Marikhal, Sep 25, 2007.

1. Marikhal

Marikhal Guest

Has anyone thought of setting up a group on Facebook that Georgia Carry members can join?

I thought it would be a good idea. Anyone else's thoughts?

2. Claire

Claire New Member

I have a facebook account but don't use it

IMO -- GCO should have a Myspace page

3. VolGrad

VolGrad Tactical Statistician

Not trying to rain on anyone's parade, but IMO I have too many accounts and too much crap to keep up with now. I would suggest anything that gets set up only act as a front door to direct people to the actual site. More sites could lead to important info getting missed, double posts, conflicting reports, etc.

Besides - those are just more places I can't access from my work PC.

4. budder

budder Moderator Staff Member

I don't know if GCO is really trying to target those audiences...

5. VolGrad

Good point.

6. Sine Nomen

Sine Nomen New Member

Why shouldn't it? Is it not a goal for CCW to be as common and openly accepted as driving a car?

7. budder

Frankly, because the vast majority of the members are immature, and I don't just mean that most of them are under 21. I'll join and promote a GCO group on Facebook if we get one, but I don't think it'll be the best use of efforts. Then again, just getting our name out can't hurt. I don't disagree with the second part.

8. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

Most people join groups and never do anything about it... it'd be a waste of time.

9. Marikhal

Marikhal Guest

Are you kidding me?

You'd be correct about saying Myspace is a craphole for a bunch of immature little brats, but Facebook tends to draw a MUCH older and educated audience.

That's the reason why I suggested GCO make a Group on Facebook, rather than making a Myspace page. There are plenty of pro-gun groups already on Facebook.

10. Claire

Claire New Member

Myspace is used by politicians, music artists, Gun groups like NRA etc..

IMO - its one of the best marketing tools -

I can't comment on facebook since I really never use it.

11. VolGrad

Now even I feel old. I thought they were both crapholes.

12. lsu_nonleg

lsu_nonleg New Member

You're not alone, volgrad. Facebook is for picking up chicks in college and doing searches to see if you shouldn't give someone a job. Myspace pushed me over the edge in about 25 minutes. To be honest, I have a facebook account, primarily for visibility into the Ag College at LSU. I don't add groups that identify my interests, political leanings, favorite movies, etc.

Besides, just joining a group is useless unless someone is going to devote the hour+ a week to create content, events, etc.

13. Claire

Claire New Member

Myspace is not just for joining groups.

I have a client that sells nutrients & never joined or formed a group

they go & search out people who are into bodybuilding & add them to their friends list - which then directs them to their page to inform them about their product. It has been successful.

14. VolGrad

So it appears to be a marketing gimmick. Not saying it doesn't work. Just stating it wreaks of being desperate to me. Going out and seeking people who might like your stuff.

Please don't take that as a personal attack if this is your thing. It just seems like in the instance you mentioned it is no different than telemarketers. We have a no-call list for that.

15. viper32cm

viper32cm New Member

The Brady Campaign has a my space page.

16. Claire

Claire New Member

its making people aware that the info and/or product is available. Its their choice to decide whether or not they want to read any further. in this case, thats why Myspace has a feature approve or deny people on your friends list.

However, even if you don't seek out people - having the proper content on the page allows people to find your information - they might not have known existed.

17. budder

Sure, they got older people when it was limited to .edu email addresses, but now anyone can get on, just like MySpace. There was a big drop in quality after that change. Go ahead and try it; I'm not stopping you.

18. VolGrad

I hear what you are saying, but it still seems no different than telemarketers to me. You can decide if you want to answer the phone (callerID). I am just saying most of us despise telemarketers. Same with junk mail in your snail mail, SPAM in your e-mail, etc.

Creating a "front page" to disseminate info is legit. Actively seeking people out and soliciting them seems in poor taste to me.

Again, just my :2cents:.

19. Thorsen

Thorsen New Member

But the people who have established these accounts have done so to be more noticeable and able to network with like minded folks in the first place. It doesn't equate to your telemarketing example because by making themselves available and broadcasting their interests they are in actuality inviting people into their lives.

I would be more than happy to help with such a project, but then again, I have no technical skills, don't know a whole lot about facebook and myspace, and really don't have the time available to help with something like this even if I did. It seems like a good idea though, and I think would be a worthwhile avenue to grow new membership beyond the gun shows that appear to be our primary source of members.

20. VolGrad

Maybe, you are both correct. Maybe, they are inviting people into their lives. Maybe, I just can't imagine doing that myself. Participating in this forum is about as public as I would like to be.