Facebook ad for silencers

Discussion in 'Firearm Related' started by chainsaw123, Jul 14, 2020.

1. chainsaw123

chainsaw123 GPDO Supporter

I hope all have been doing well. It has been a long time since I have logged in but I'm glad I still remembered my password. Hahaha. I don't know how many here are Facebook users but there has been an ad running saying that it is some type of an oil filter or something like that but to any gun person they know that it is a silencer. Why would they be doing this? Are there that many stupid people out there that would actually order it without a stamp? It is a very tricky way to buy it and simple because it is threaded and everything. Just curious what your thoughts are on why they are doing this at this time with all of the crap going around. Hope everyone has been safe.

Schweisshund likes this.
  2. Smilodon

Smilodon Active Member

I've seen them offering monocore baffles and other parts in wishdotcom ads. I figured it is a sting operation.

3. TimBob

TimBob Old, Slow, Boring Dude

I remember seeing these "filters" at a gun show once. Probably also a sting.

BTW, welcome back!

4. Smilodon

Smilodon Active Member

There was a company selling registered filter adaptors as suppressors. It's my understanding that you couldn't legally replace the filter yourself though. Legally you were supposed to send it to the manufacturer to have the filter changed. It just doesn't make any sense to go through the trouble of obtaining a stamp and not buy a quality suppressor instead.

5. Nemo

Nemo Man of Myth and Legend

Oil filter quiet maker-- $$

Reasonable quality noise suppressor-- $$$$

Thats the reason.

Nemo

6. moe mensale

moe mensale Well-Known Member

DDG "oil filter suppressor" and see what comes up. These have been around for years. They're usually referred to as "solvent traps" for use in cleaning your gun.

7. phantoms

phantoms Senior Mumbler

At one time there were people selling oil filters and cans that didn't have a bullet exit hole (though one pull of the trigger could make one) . They were calling them cleaning devices that were installed to catch the oil you run through a barrel. The legality of them was questionable and I don't know if it was ever settled but haven't seen them advertised for quite some time.

8. Smilodon

Smilodon Active Member

I think most went from oil filters to more slender fuel filters or maglites with freeze plugs.

9. Craftsman

Craftsman Well-Known Member

Perfectly legal until you drill the exit hole. Or so I have been told.

10. Smilodon

Smilodon Active Member

11. MWAG

MWAG Active Member

Not a sting... I bought one over 2 years ago...all I need to do is fill out a form 1... come up with a company name... serialize the device and pay the $200 tax stamp and I'm on my way... As you can see I'm in no hurry

12. MWAG

MWAG Active Member

you cannot drill the exit hole or the baffles without being in trouble unless you have your tax stamp

13. Wegahe

Wegahe NRA Instructor

Just do a trust and you do not need a company name.

14. NTA

NTA Well-Known Member

You might get a visit from gov guys if you buy diesel parts:
    fast - forward to start at 4:00 in to skip nonsense and get to the point:

gunsmoker likes this.
  15. gunsmoker

gunsmoker Lawyer and Gun Activist

And in the above video, that dude was buying REAL diesel engine filters.
    Once that are actually commonly used on engines.
    Not do-it-yourself gun silencer kits falsely labeled as "filters" or "solvent traps" or other B.S., but are clearly designed to let you build a suppressor for your gun.

16. Smilodon

Smilodon Active Member

I think that I remember seeing some auto sears in some of those same ads.

17. moe mensale

If you do a trust you'll need a trust name which is basically the same thing. The only other choice is filing as an individual.

18. moe mensale

That may or may not be relevant. I think more importantly is

1 - Why is someone monitoring this guy's purchases?
    2 - Who's monitoring this guy's purchases?
    3 - Why does the agent think the guy should just give him whatever it is he bought if the items are legally available for sale?
    4 - Why doesn't the agent have a warrant?
    5 - Why did the guy voluntarily admit the agent into his house/shop?
    6 - Why did the guy say anything to the agent including "Hi" without a lawyer present?

OWM and NTA like this.
  19. GeorgiaHybrid

GeorgiaHybrid Member

LOL, I have several legal suppressors but the oil filter for the 15 L Cummins ISX in my truck is 5" in dia, 12" long and weighs at least 3 pounds. The fuel filters are even larger than that.

Good luck hanging that on the front end of your pistol or rifle and still be able to use it.