Eyes & Ears

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by Tinkerhell, Jun 7, 2007.

1. Tinkerhell

Tinkerhell Active Member

Anyone gone to any great length as far as checking out various types & styles & effectivenesses of differnt models of eye & ear protection? I'm about to be shopping for some and while I don't want to spend a fortune I'd like to get somethign durable & effective.

2. Dan H

Dan H New Member

Just get cheap plastic eye protection online for $10 and spend $3 on some of the foam ear plugs, they work the best. My ears are Howard Leight (Spelling?) and were around $3 but are better than ear muffs as far as decibal cancellation or whatever its called.

3. Sharky

Sharky New Member

Agreed with Dan H

I bought the Cheapo glasses and found some cheap ear muffs that work just as well as many others. Foam plugs work well too.

4. pro2am

pro2am New Member

HE SAID...oh never mind.

I go to Harbor Freight to get safety glasses and earplugs.

Of course, when you order stuff from CDNN you'll get free glasses.

5. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

I used to use basic safety glasses, but have since gotten a pair of Remington shooting glasses. I can't tell a difference, but the shooting are nice since they come with 3 sets of interchangable lenses. They came with clear, smoke, and yellow. As far as hearing protection, I use basic muffs for pistols and foam plugs for rifles. where the muffs get in the way. I may upgrade my ear plugs soon though. There's a company that comes to Bullseye in Cumming every few months called Ear Armor. They take a mold of your ear and make a set of custom fit plugs to fit you. I think they run about $50.

6. tj2000

tj2000 New Member

WE DON'T NEED NO STINKING EAR PROTECTION!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    8) 8) 8)

Shooting is so easy a blind man can do it.......................

7. USMC - Retired

USMC - Retired New Member

I wear Silencio Silent Partner plugs. Work great and can wear them all day in comfort. They form fit to your ear cannal.

[​IMG]

For eyes I have a set of Remington Shooting glasses with interchangable lens'. They don't make the ones I have anyomore but the ones they put out now seem good too.

8. Sharky

Sharky New Member

I wonder if he meant that for me or Dan H.

Either way its just Malum being Malum

9. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

That may be why my typing is so bad...... :lol:

10. kestak

kestak New Member

Greetings,

I think I beat you all with my ear protection: I-pod playing Qeens "We will rock you!" with ear muffs over the plugs. Hehehehe

Seriously, I am looking maybe to buy those and be able to talk with my GF when we are shooting: http://www.westernsafety.com/peltor/peltorpage4.html

Thank you

11. Rammstein

Rammstein New Member

Foam plugs and some Oakleys for me.

12. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

I've got seeing glasses, I guess those count for eye protection. And, for ears, cheap foam. If the range has big ear protection, then I'll just use those (included in the range time here). 8)

13. Macktee

Macktee New Member

WHEN I WAS IN THE ARMY, WE DIDN'T USE ANY HEARING PROTECTION. THAT WAS FOR WIMPS AND AIR FORCE TYPES! SO, SPEAK UP AND STOP MUMBLING!

WHAT?

SPEAK UP I SAID!

WHAT? ARE YOU DEAF OR SOMETHING?

14. gsusnake

gsusnake Token Liberal Hippie

As long as they're not hanging around your neck on Costa Del Mar Croakies when you go to the bar after dark...

15. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

Yep, Air Force. Motto: Smart only need apply.

16. jp233

jp233 hu huh, you said "Member"

I got some Remington shooting glasses at walmart, pretty good. used to use just clear safety glasses from shop/auto places but the yellow lenses are better in the sun.

got some good muffs from Sportsmans Guie, AOSafety bullseye #7 ? like $15 and they are great.

but i wear plugs and muffs, you only get one set of ears and eyes so, i like to keep mine in good shape (well, i hear ringing for days if i dont wear them when paying drums, mowing lawn, around jets, etc)

17. Tinkerhell

Tinkerhell Active Member

Thanks for all the opinions. Sounds like low cost is a good way to go. I've already paid for Lasek for my eyes so I think I'll be going with plugs & muffs (at least for indoors) so I don't have to worry too much about the ears going out later on...

18. Rammstein

Rammstein New Member

yeah....what is it with the retards around here and their croakies. If we were near the beach...I'd give them a pass. But we're not, so I won't.

19. gsusnake

gsusnake Token Liberal Hippie

It's frattastic.

I've never felt the need to wear any, just as I've never felt the need to pay for my friends.