Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,284 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The typical "forward cant" holster has about 15 degrees of forward tilt. I find that the gun butt is the hardest part to conceal. I've noticed some holsters have a lot more forward-cant than the typical, up to 30 degrees or more.

Has anyone carried in a holster like this? Does it aid in keeping the butt of the gun hidden better? See this example (note that the photo is tilted a bit forward, but even if it were level the gun is tilted more than is typical).

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
I set the cant on my Andrews IWB at about 22-25deg. I draw from 3:30-5 o'clock depending on the weapon.
Whatever works for you. Some like more some less. :righton:

·
Old Time Member
2,647 Posts
A good holster and belt can hide most any gun with 0 degrees to 15 degrees of cant easily. I carry a full size 1911, a 4" XD, GLOCKS, etc.. I can cover every one of them with a t-shirt and be very well concealed. Personally, anything more than 15 degrees of cant put the gun at too severe of an angle to properly grip and present the weapon, IF you are using the proper 4 step method.

·
Registered
5,194 Posts
I have one. My thoughts echo precisely the comments by the previous poster on holsters > 15 degrees cant.

·
Seasteading Aficionado
44,896 Posts
I have one, IWB with clips, and yes, the extreme extreme can't, tends to sit the gun a bit lower, and it certainly hides the butt, better in my opinion.

I don't know about the leather slit kind such as the one in the picture, though. I don't have one of those. May work the same way, though.

·
Registered
707 Posts
I had a custom leather for my G23 made with a little more cant than the normal (15 degrees) for that purpose.
It does help a little bit. Overall I don't worry too much about it regardless of the holster I'm wearing.

·
Registered
4,521 Posts
If you're going to go with an aggressive cant such as that, you may want to carry it more toward the 4-5 o' clock position so you can get a full grip as opposed to having to bend your wrist a great deal if it were around 3 o' clock. This is just what I experienced carrying a commander sized 1911 in a Galco Fletch (FBI cant) holster. YMMV.

·
Registered
100 Posts
ChipM said:
The typical "forward cant" holster has about 15 degrees of forward tilt. I find that the gun butt is the hardest part to conceal. I've noticed some holsters have a lot more forward-cant than the typical, up to 30 degrees or more.

Has anyone carried in a holster like this? Does it aid in keeping the butt of the gun hidden better? See this example (note that the photo is tilted a bit forward, but even if it were level the gun is tilted more than is typical).
http://images1.opticsplanet.com/1020-680-ffffff/opplanet-galco-concealable-revolver-holsters.jpg
I used to carry my Stainless Pro Carry in a Galco Concealable just like that...well sorta...mine was black. :)

It's a great holster, rides nice and high and the extreme cant does work well to hide the butt. If I were in the market for a holster to carry a larger handgun, the Concealable would be on my short list.

·
Registered
2,284 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I've now tried a Galco Side Snap Scabbard. It is a little more forward-tilted than a typical holster, and in addition the holster is molded in such a way that it pulls the butt of the handle in very close to the body. The snap-loop attachment makes it quick to take off and put on as well.

Good holster.

·
Old Time Member
2,647 Posts
ChipM said:
I've now tried a Galco Side Snap Scabbard. It is a little more forward-tilted than a typical holster, and in addition the holster is molded in such a way that it pulls the butt of the handle in very close to the body. The snap-loop attachment makes it quick to take off and put on as well.

Good holster.
Check out the Comp-Tac Gladiator. Leather backing, Kydex front belt holsters that mounts in the same way, but is adjustable. :righton:

·
Registered
1,703 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Reading this post inspired me to make a holster for my Sigma with extreme foward cant and try it for myself. So far I think im going to like it.

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
for concealing, get an iwb holster such as a supertuck. Use the belt holsters for oc.

·
Old Time Member
2,647 Posts
Again, the issue is that you can't get a proper draw from a holster that has that much cant. Look at those pictures, You have to wear it way in the back, and it's still pointed way to the front. To draw up to your pectoral muscle, would be very hard to do quickly. To each their own, but for sure, not for me..

1 - 14 of 14 Posts