Experience with S&W SD40?

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by nitrogenated, Jan 13, 2011.

1. nitrogenated

nitrogenated Active Member

Looking at picking up something new for daily carry once I get my tax return. I'm currently looking into getting the Smith and Wesson SD40. I've picked one up at a local pawn shop and liked the feel of it, but I have yet to shoot it nor have talked to anyone who has done so. I'm wondering if anyone here has had a chance to fire one and am curious as to what sort of impression it leaves, if there were any potential reliability issues, etc.

2. jesuslives31548

jesuslives31548 New Member

I carry Smith M&P 9mm daily. The gun you are looking at is close cousins to the M&P. The SD40 is a little cheaper but not that much, I was a sold out true Glock fan till I shot the M&P, Seen how the weapon was made, the durability and made in the USA. I would go with the M&P. Yes you gain a front night site with the SD40, and I bet its just as dependable. But I know after shooting the M&P that I'm sold out on it. Does the SD40 have back straps you can change? That's a nice feature I like about the M&P. Glock has it a too in the Generation 4.
    Look at some youtube video on the SMITH M&P..............

3. 69953

69953 Guest

I haven't shot one, but the trigger seemed rough on the ones I've held. The grip is also pretty long, which is a little harder to conceal. If you're set on a .40 and don't mind the full size, you might look at the ruger SR40. It's in the same price range. If you're looking for better concealment, I think you'd be better off with an SR9c or Kahr CW9 for the same price, or an M&Pc or Glock 26,27,19 or 23 for about a $100 more.

4. jklotz

jklotz New Member

Don't know about the SD40, but I regularly use WD40 :lol:

5. nitrogenated

nitrogenated Active Member

I may be heading to Bullseye in Lawrenceville to try out a few different pistols, including the subcompact Glocks. Never been there before so not sure if they have any of the S&W M&Ps or SDs. I don't think the SD has the changeable backstrap, but it seemed to be a pretty decent fit. The trigger on the one I used wasn't too bad, but up until recently I've been carrying a Taurus 651 snubnose and typically fired it double action so I've gotten use to a heavy trigger. Trying to get something as inexpensive as possible, broke college students can't go around spending all their money on firearms when they need Ramen.

6. inkdaddy

inkdaddy Member

Just traded one recently...It performed very well. Trigger pull was a little on the long side but very smooth. Shot just as well as my M&P 40. I only traded it out because I was consolidating to one caliber. The plus was 14 round standard mags.

7. Puffyfish

Puffyfish New Member

S&W M&P's! Love them,smooth, accurate and they fit your hand. Mine were great. The only plastic gun I'd carry. Mine even had thumb safety's.[​IMG]

8. Dan

Dan Stuck in New England

The S&W SD model looks like a repackaged Sigma.

9. mountainpass

mountainpass Under Scrutiny

Well the Sigma name is stained...although I think the VE version is fine except for the trigger. The price point in the Sigma is hard to beat. Although a police turn-in Glock 22 for $289 would probably gain my interest.

Edit: $285 viewtopic.php?f=26&t=53658&hilit=distributors

10. jmathis84

jmathis84 New Member

The Sd line of guns are good weapons. You can find very very few complaints anywhere online.They are a bridge between the Sigma and M&p lines. They were put out to have a middle ground for people who dont like the sigma and the long hard tigger pull but cannot step up to the more expensive M&P. I have handled a few at gunshops and they felt nice. The trigger pull is greatly aproved over the Sigma.