Experience with open carry

Discussion in 'Holsters / Method of Carry' started by jmorin, May 16, 2006.

1. jmorin

jmorin New Member

I'm really interested in hearing from those who have open carried with a GFL in GA, especially in urban areas. Have you ever encountered any problems with LE? What's the typical response?

I'd like to open carry around the streets where I live and in the alley behind my house but I'm extremely hesitant due to the following reasons:

1) I live near 3 elementary/middle schools. The problem is I'm technically not a resident of the neighborhood (the house is my now-wife's and I moved in a year ago) so I worry about the 1000 ft rule.

2) I live near downtown Atlanta and not too far from ghetto central, so I'm not sure how receptive the Atlanta PD will be.

3) The neighborhood is dominated by liberal nutballs and the last thing I need is for one to call 911 and report "a man with a gun in the street". Hell, I'm convinced one of the locals keyed my car because of my NRA sticker (I park on the street).

Thoughts?

2. USMC - Retired

USMC - Retired New Member

Move...

Or, why carry open and not concealed?

3. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

Not in an urban area, but in the burbs all the time. So far, it has resulted in only one encounter with law enforcement and no encounters with opinion enforcement.

I had a police officer approach me outside of Home Depot. It was nighttime, around Christmas, and the "robbery patrol" was driving around trying to be inconspicuous.

Let's see, how many Ford Crown Victorias ride around with a twenty-something white male with a very short haircut just cruising around a shopping center parking lot with apparently nothing to do? :lol:

Government tags, too.

The guy actually seemed surprised that I knew he was a police officer!

Anyway, I was walking to my car when I saw that he noticed me and circled back around. As I was opening my door, he pulled the Crown Vic behind my car and stopped. I got a small adrenaline rush as I realized he had just blocked me into my parking space.

I always take out my wallet when driving (don't like to sit on it). I had my wallet in my hand and was placing it in the door panel pocket when he stopped. I heard a voice, "Hey, you got a permit for that thing?"

I kept the wallet in my hand. They guy was smiling, and the question was delivered politely. "Yes," I responded.

There was a short silence.

"Why?" I broke the silence, "Do you want to see it?"

His answer to that question determined my next actions. Had he said "yes," I would have gone into "silent" mode and refused to speak any further except to ask him if I was free to leave since he was blocking my path.

Of course, if he forced the issue, or indicated the unequivocal mandatory nature of a demand to see my firearms license, I would have shown him the license. I'm not stupid. (No comments here from those who know me personally).

"Nah," he said, "I just wanted to know what you are carrying." His smile never left, in spite of my somewhat curt reply.

This response was unexpected, and it completely disarmed my otherwise guarded nature when encountering police officers while armed. We spent the next ten minutes or so talking about guns, carrying, and a robbery that had occurred that evening in the same shopping center. The officer expressed his support for carrying firearms and even said he wished more people would carry because he did not see it often enough.

He turned out to be a pretty nice guy.

Your mileage may vary.
    :wink:

4. Malum Prohibitum

I have been meaning to try an experiment and open carry on Peachtree Street in Midtown, but I have not yet screwed up the courage (or the time) to follow through on my intention.

Besides, there are bus stops all over the sidewalk.

I would hate to be not only a convicted felon, but also have my criminal history show the crime of hijacking :!: during these perilous times.

The Department of Homeland Security probably would not take me off the "no-fly" list with such a pathetic excuse as, "No, really, I accidently walked too close too a bus stop on a public sidewalk. Why are you laughing - stop that! It is too a crime in Georgia! Hey, I am not just making this up! Hello? Hello? He hung up on me!"

:lol:

5. gunsmoker

gunsmoker Lawyer and Gun Activist

Open Carry

I would not want to open carry under circumstances that would alarm or concern the public (sheeple?), because if they cause a fuss, the Geogia legislature could EASILY change the law to require concealment, like they have in Florida.

Of course I have not always followed my own advice. One time while attending a gun show my buddy and I decided to get lunch at a fast food joint across the street. We had carpooled with another person whom we coudn't find, so we couldn't lock our guns in his vehicle. We were both carrying combat shotguns, fully tricked-out with all the tactical accessories (we had these for sale or trade). So we slung the 12-gauges over our shoulders and went over to the fried chicken place. Nobody seemed too concerned. I guess they knew there was a gun show going on. Now if we had stopped on the way TO the gun show to eat breakfast while openly carrying shotguns, and IF we had then proceeded to the convention hall only to find that we'd gotten the dates wrong and this particular Saturday was the date of the children's ballet ... THEN I'm sure we would have gotten more of a reaction!

6. Malum Prohibitum

Re: Open Carry

Florida went from no carry to concealed carry, not open carry to concealed only carry.

Texas is the same as Florida. Is anyone aware of a state in modern times that allowed open carry disallowing it?

The only time I can think of is decades ago in California, due to the Black Panthers carrying up the legislature steps, complete with threats . . . and even then their open carry had some funny restrictions on it.

Not exactly the same as Gunsmoker getting a bite to eat at the Wafflehouse with a gun in a holster.

I am not even aware of a push in states that allow open carry to force concealed carry.

7. Malum Prohibitum

How times change.

In the 1800s, open carry was considered the right of a free citizen. Concealed carry was for scoundrels and considered beneath the dignity of a gentleman.

8. jmorin

jmorin New Member

Thanks guys. USMC - we are moving. And quite honestly, I prefer to carry concealed but sometimes it's merely a matter of convenience...when I take the trash down the alley to street, it'd be a lot easier just to slap my holster and gun on my hip than having to go through all the motions to conceal it for a 30' walk.

Then there's the matter of open carrying in Grant Park with all the "No Firearms" signs. I have yet to gather the courage to challenge that!

9. Malum Prohibitum

Grant Park - I thought that was one of those "up and coming" neighborhoods . . .

10. jmorin

jmorin New Member

Geez, Malum, you sound like my wife! She likes to say "transitional neighborhood". Call me conservative, but Grant Park is simply too close to the ghetto. Just go south several blocks or walk over to Turner Field and you'll see what I mean. We've got too many "street walkers" bustling through the neighborhood, looking for opportunities. I've already had my car rummaged through, our friend's van, and my wife's. All parked on the street.

Then I caught a guy stealing my newspaper one morning out of our driveway. I chased him down the street yelling until he dropped the paper.

Then I argued with another jerk helping himself to whatever he desired in the backyard of a vacant house (renters had just moved) just down the street.

Oh and then I had a nice chat with Cobb County detectives who were asking if I knew the people next door. Apparently one of them was related to a thug they were looking for. Lovely.

The sooner we move the better.

11. Malum Prohibitum

What about open carry generally? How many people here open carry on a regular basis, or even infrequently, regardless of whether the area is urban?

If so, any negative reactions?

12. Malum Prohibitum

Re: Open Carry

Correction to the above. Apparently the hostiory of carry in Florida is different from what I thought. :oops:

THis came from a post over at opencarry.org.

Florida was a "licensed open carry state" in a similar vein to New Jersey and Maryland. In 1987, when the CCW law was passed, it made open carry legal for a very limited period without a permit, but the Legislature freaked and in an special session banned it again.

This was of course before CCW became a huge issue. This is going to be an issue of talking points, as this will be important. Should open carry be persued without licensing (which can be done via a repeal of 790.07 and a slight amendment to 790.10), or should it be licensed open carry like Georgia with open and concealed carrying of firearms requiring a permit unless exempted under 790.25.

13. Malum Prohibitum

Another post over there:

Florida was a "licensed open carry" state until 1987. For a very brief period, Florida was a "gold star" open carry state until an emergency session of the state legislature "closed the loophole" and banned open carry. Rather than fold open carriers into the existing licensing statute, they chose the route of just banning it.

14. RayAdams

RayAdams New Member

Open Carry

I have open carried my handgun for years, never a problem. Many LEOS have had discussions with me and have no problem. I have been asked many times if I am a Leo, I say no. Do you need one? They say no just curious about the gun on my side. I say it I wear because it looks so sexy on me. They usually laugh. I usually forget it is there. Personality, reaction, attitude, style of dress, etc. has a large influence on how you are perceived. I open carry in Virginia also with absolutely no problem.

Ray

15. Malum Prohibitum

Wow. :shock: Only RayAdams and I open carry?

:-k

The rest of you are thinking [-X

OR that RayAdams and I are :screwy:

:D

Nobody else here open carries in public from time to time? :sly:

16. ber950

ber950 Active Member

Not in years. After having trouble with a security guard. I carry concealed even in the woods. I like the advantage.

17. ICP_Juggalo

ICP_Juggalo Active Member

I have become so discouraged and disgusted with our laws that I don't carry in public anymore. I keep a pistol in both of my cars and that is as far as its goes. I have even questioned whether or not should I spend my money on the government to get a license to get what little scraps of carry rights we have in this pitiful state. Our legislature is a joke and Neal Boortz hit it right on the head when he said that when the legislature is in session you wont a bigger room full of losers than the general assembly.

Alabama is looking awfully good right now and heck Vermont would be better.

18. Gunstar1

Gunstar1 Administrator

Well speaking for myself, I don't like for anyone to know I am armed.

Anyone meaning criminals, liberals and LEOs that don't know the carry laws.

19. ls1ssdavid

ls1ssdavid New Member

I have never, but I might next time...

I only turned 21 four months ago. And since then have been home twice. But carried both times concealed. Maybe next time home, since I fall under the excemptions. The only problem is I DO NOT want to get confused with LEO... And I like the idea that nobody knows I have a firearm. It's all about the element of suprise.

20. mzmtg

mzmtg Active Member

I've openly carried a couple of times, into the gas station and grocery store when I was too lazy to put my cover on first. No reactions.