Expensive Day.

Discussion in 'Off-topic' started by jato, May 12, 2016.

1. jato

jato New Member

Today was an costly day automotive wise. 1st my Ford Exploder that my son will use for work and college next year is fixed. It has a brand new fuel pump and a new fuel filter. Cost including labor = $880.

Then there was the Jeep. One of the things the previous owner did was remove the OEM muffler and put a non-restrictive FlowMaster muffler on it. They also removed the resonator. I didn't like the sound butI thought I would get used to it. I don't mind a little louder exhaust note but it has to be pleasing to the ear. At certain RPMs this sounded like a 4 cylinder engine with one of those garbage can mufflers. The guy at the muffler shop said the easiest way to fix it was to leave the MasterFlow muffler on and add an MagnaFlow OEM style muffler where the OEM muffler should be and put a tail pipe on. The Jeep is quiet not with no highway drone and I like it. Cost = $269.

So I shot my wad for today and I was going to buy you each a beer. Sorry but now I can only afford to buy one single lite beer between all you with a bunch of straws.

2. moe mensale

moe mensale Well-Known Member

Apology accepted if you throw in the peanuts. :mrgreen:

3. Scout706

Scout706 Well-Known Member

Meh. You should be proud to have kept two good vehicles running. Beats payments.

4. btseagle98

btseagle98 Member

I feel your pain. Here's what's in store for me over the next few days:

2005 Accord
    Transmission fluid change
    Serpentine belt change
    Spark plug change
    New front pads/rotors at some point in the near future.
    Rotate tires

2010 pathfinder
    Pads and rotors for all four wheels
    Parking brake shoes/pads in the rear

This is after putting 4 new tires on the pathfinder two weeks ago, changing the oil in both cars, new air filters and new cabin filters for both vehicles.

And oh yeah...emission tests for both vehicles two weeks ago.

5. rmodel65

rmodel65 Yukon Cornelius

I would have driven to georgia and put a fuel pump in for 880$ lol

6. btseagle98

btseagle98 Member

I almost forgot...

I put a new O2 sensor on the accord two weeks ago as well.

This crap adds up and all came due at one time!!

7. Solomon_G

Solomon_G New Member

Your doing this all yourself right?

Save you lots of cash...all easy stuff to do. :)

8. dcannon1

dcannon1 New Member

People always say that and yet somehow I always screw it up and end up taking it to the shop anyway.

I guess it's like how I always tell people doing basic computer programming is a piece of cake and they can use it automate or streamline their everyday tasks/workflow and they look at me like I'm a crazy person.

9. Schweisshund

Schweisshund Well-Known Member

Ah man, I would have done the fuel pump and fuel filter for $879

10. mog

mog Active Member

I know, right?! I need to get back into side work. This job is nothing with a lift. Most are actually.

11. Solomon_G

Solomon_G New Member

It's pretty hard to screw up doing brakes, and if your just replacing rotors and pads\shoes, it's pie...long as you don't open the line your golden.

But i know what your saying...some of the bigger more difficult jobs i thought would be easy ended up in multiple trips to the auto part store.

As for programming, i got in to that many many years ago...but it didn't stick, had too many things going at the same time and had to drop that.
    Always always build my own PC though.

12. CoffeeMate

CoffeeMate Junior Butt Warmer

No it's not.

:lol:

13. awanatech

awanatech Well-Known Member

Sometimes I get amazed at the things that people can screw up though. I've seen too many vehicles towed in after the owner/ neighbor/ cousin/ whoever got finished doing what should have been an easy maintenance repair.

(I don't mean to imply that is the case here. Just pointing out that what seems easy to some can be overwhelming to others. I try not to gauge to the comfort level or ability of others who I don't really know)

Last edited: May 13, 2016
  14. jato

jato New Member

Normally I do my own stuff, the problem with the fuel pump was it was intermittent and there were other things it could have been.

When it did die it had to be towed. My year of Explorer used 2 different pumps and my truck was built during the split so it could have had either pump so I couldn't buy one until after I got mine out. I also don't have a lift and the tank was full of gas. To be honest I did feel like messing with that job.

Last edited: May 13, 2016
  15. Solomon_G

Solomon_G New Member

You have a point, i guess i should have said, if you have some knowledge of say....doing the brakes, it should be pie.

I don't blame you on the fuel pump deal....i dropped a tank in my driveway once, an 86 Thunderbird....maybe 89....i wouldn't want to do it again. ug.

16. rmodel65

rmodel65 Yukon Cornelius

I had the fuel pump in my 1991 mustang gt(same car as a tbird) go out on the side of I4 coming back from tampa
    Had to change it in the side if the road. That sucked at least I got the car to the rest area

17. atlsrt44

atlsrt44 Well-Known Member

Ive never liked the sound of magnaflow. Personal taste though

18. Solomon_G

Solomon_G New Member

The pain in the as* to change it yourself was better than the pain in the wallet having it done though right...lol

That would suck having to do it roadside.....sheesh

19. jato

jato New Member

Well I guess it's a MasterFlow / MagnaFlow hybrid now. It's only a tick loader than stock. Not a bad sound.

20. btseagle98

btseagle98 Member

I am indeed with the exception of the tires. Got tired of paying others to do the regular maintenance crap. I will admit that while they had the car on the rack replacing the tires I had them change the oil.

Heck, doing the brakes myself alone will save me about $500-800

Serpentine belt change at a shop...$150-200. Doing it myself, $20 for the belt and $10 for a new 14mm wrench.

In the long run its gonna save me a ton. Right now, seeing that I am having to buy jacks, jack stands, wrenches, drain pans, funnels, etc, etc...the savings are not as high as they will be when these things come up again.

My accord has 150K miles on it and my goal is for that car to be my daughter's car when she turns 16 in just over 3 yrs. Great little car and plus its a manual so I don't have to worry about too many of her friends driving it and the chances of it getting stolen are reduced as well.

I'll know for sure tomorrow when I pull the plugs and examine things closer, but I am pretty sure the valve cover gasket on my accord is leaking so I may also be replacing that. Hate to replace plugs if theyre just gonna get fouled up by an oil leak. That job is probably the most tedious thing I'll plan on doing (other than parking brake shoes/pads). It is all actually simple work, just time consuming and looks hard if you've never done it before.