Exercise: Why do really fat people try and run?

Discussion in 'Off-topic' started by TITAN308, Oct 20, 2017.

1. TITAN308

TITAN308 :) :) :)

Every once in a while when I am out on my 6 mile daily routine I see some really big person, probably 100+ pounds overweight trying to run.

This has got to be the dumbest idea ever. At that kind of weight you can easily burn the hell out of calories by simply walking and adhering to a simple normal calorie intake (ignore this if you lift weights). For men that is about 2,500 calories a day.

When I was super heavy all I did was walk. No jogging, no running. I ate what I wanted (though I did try to avoid consuming more than 100 carbs in a day), but I just stuck to a simple 2,200 calorie plan. I lost what doctors would describe as a very unhealthy amount of weight per week; about 3 pounds. This wasn't short term either, this was over 6 months - nearly consistently.

These people are setting themselves up for failure and and at the same time destroying their joints and inducing what I can only imagine are terrible shin splints.

Or am I missing something? From everything I've read (regarding fat people only) there is NO great benefit to running over walking when you are very heavy, especially in regards to heart rate zones. I did a fair amount of reading as a fat person looking to get healthy without killing myself. :lol:

Last edited: Oct 20, 2017
  2. atlsrt44

atlsrt44 Well-Known Member

People are impatient. Figure if they can lose weight in 6 mos from walking maybe they can do the same in 3 if they run.

3. Archangel

Archangel Moderator Staff Member

Speaking as a big fat guy, I don't run. I do walk in the woods on our property, and do laps in my pool as a good low impact on my joints exercise... Sometimes ride the exercise bike.

I have 2 blown out knees, and one bad ankle which is I why I stopped running... AND ... contributed to me getting fat. I used to be a distance runner, 10-15 miles per day, until my injuries got the better of me.

I've been putting greater effort into weight loss recently and have lost 67+ pounds. Gonna keep on working at it.

But running?? Nope. Not any more.

4. MewsicLovr

MewsicLovr Member

I'm overweight, not 100 pounds, but I could easily lose 60. When I get the urge, I have done the C25k program and done ok. But, more important is being consistent. If I was to stay consistent, I would probably be better off even if I did not run.

5. Scout706

Scout706 Well-Known Member

Tell me more about walking, how often and for how long? It's for a friend of mine.:rolleyes:

6. TITAN308

At one point I reached 300lbs.

I started walking 3 miles a day. In my case I just used a stretch of sidewalk that connected all our neighborhoods together along main road.

I ate 2,200 calories or less a day. I still ate what I wanted, but I actually you know, ate the portion amounts you are suppose to.

Half a pizza? No. 2 slices of pizza? Ok. Your stomach will shrink and your body will adapt in short order.

I dropped 72 lbs in 6 months doing just that.

Put things in perspective, a six foot 220lb man who lives a sedentary life (aka no exercise) has to consume 2,369 calories a day to maintain that weight. A 300lb person, 2,800 calories a day.

See how small a gap that is between 80 pounds of maintenance weight? Less than 500 calories a day.

Losing weight is actually really really really easy when you are really really really fat.

Now the good news. The more you exercise the more you can eat. :drink: (or in my case I do an extra 3 miles (9 miles total) on "cocktail" night with my wife lol lol)

I'm sort of an OCD person, so one thing that helps me maintain and lose now a days are programs like Fitbit has that pairs with my Charge 2 wristband. (monitors steps, heart-rate etc etc) I can also record every piece of stuff that goes in my pie hole and record how much water I drink. I also measure measure measure.

Salad isn't salad anymore when you put half the bottle of ranch on it.

It seems like a lot, but you get use to it.

Here for example are some of my recordings for today:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. zetor

zetor Gaston beat up John

Congratulations, that's a lot of weight.

8. gunsmoker

gunsmoker Lawyer and Gun Activist

three times in my life, when was 18, 38, and 42, I lost a lot of weight by running.

In just 6 weeks, or about 12 runs, I could go from being a couch potato who couldn't jog more than 60 seconds at a time without stopping to gasp for breath to a person who could run a 5K (3.1 miles) without stopping to walk if the route was all level ground, or only stopping to walk up a few of the hills on hilly terrain.

After 3 months, I could do a 5K easily under 30 minutes, sometimes not even sweating until I was halfway through it.

And I was 100 lbs overweight during one of those times in my life, and about 50 lbs. over the other times.

In July of 2007, I had not run in nearly a year, but on a whim I signed up for the Peachtree Road Race. Ran all of it except for about 100 yards up cardiac hill, and my excuse was I needed to walk while drinking that cup of water so I didn't spill it all.
    Finished in 1:15 or so. I was at least 50 lbs. overweight then.

Running worked!

However, now that I'm pushing 50, my joints creak and pop, and I'm not going to do any running unless and until I get near normal weight from some other method.

Walking, however, just isn't strenuous enough. There isn't enough cardio benefit from that, unless it's hiking serious hills.
    Stairs are good for both muscle and cardio, but that's TOO intense. I never could to a lot of stair climbing.

9. I ruck, which is carrying weight on your back and go walking.

According to the ads on the inter-tubes, men of our experience level shouldn't do cardio because it reduces testosterone which leads to flabby bodies. Weight bearing exercises like weight lifting and rucking generate muscle growth which leads to testosterone increases which leads to reduced fat <I don't know if that is really true but I hate cardio with all it's breathing heavy, sweating, and bone jarring>

Goruck makes flat plates that fit nicely into a backpack.

With all that said, diet controls 90% of our weight loss gain. You can't run off the calories from eating a 16" pepperoni pizza (my favorite).

Attached Files:

10. RedDawnTheMusical

RedDawnTheMusical Well-Known Member

My son was never a big eater, but he had a sedentary lifestyle playing video games and, if he was eating, he was eating finger-food that was high calorie/high fat. In order to be sufficiently fit to go into the Navy he had to drop 60 pounds. He enrolled for their delayed entry program (DEP) at age 20. The program delayed his entry for eight months and during those eight month he walked around Sugar Hill and dropped his 60 pounds. I don't think he ever changed his eating habits (and probably need necessarily need to at his age), but he dropped all of that weight just from walking.

11. 45_Fan

45_Fan Well-Known Member

That's only 34 miles of calories tops.

12. TITAN308

So much this. As I mentioned before I measure everything I consume when feasible. (like I can't do it if I am a guest at someones house) I got the little digital weight scale for meat and everything. I literally measure my salad dressing with a tablespoon people use for baking. You could drop a ton of weight with diet alone, but exercise makes you feel good and allows you to eat like a human being.

I ate a Zaxby's Wings & Things Meal (minus the texas toast and dipping sauces) for dinner last night. 1,100 calories - but I still ended the day with a 1,300 calorie deficit because my breakfast and lunch were much smaller and of course I did my daily 6 miles of cardio. (I think my breakfast was around 300 calories and lunch was 650 calories)

Depending on your weight its surprisingly easy to burn A LOT of calories per mile.

I don't have the math anymore, but when I was 300lbs I was burning like 300 calories per mile with a HR/BPM of only around 130.

The average person of appropriate weight only burns about 100 calories per mile (walking) to put things in perspective. :rotfl:

An entire tombstone cheese pizza is like 1,300 calories. Don't ask me how I know. haha

If you exercise (I'd say moderate to intense) the calories are not that bad, its those damn carbs and fat.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2017
  13. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

Isn't that your fault as his dad?

14. Archangel

Archangel Moderator Staff Member

Feeling pretty good about myself today. Stepped on the scale and I am now 72.2 pounds lighter than when we bought the house a little over a year ago. I am a touch over 4 pounds away from being under 300 pounds for the first time in over 10 years!

I am not trying to go too fast, I've done that rebound thing too many times in the past. 80 more pounds to go!

15. Malum Prohibitum

My BMI is 31, which the CDC says is "obese." :^o I do not run, due to weight pounding on the knees and age. I do cardio, however, elliptical, stair master, ride a bicycle, hike, walk . . .

16. awanatech

awanatech Well-Known Member

That is great! Making great progress towards your goal. I'm sure you are feeling better with each pound lost.

17. Malum Prohibitum

A woman, or a small man, may burn only 65 per mile. That's what the weight vest is for.

18. RedDawnTheMusical

RedDawnTheMusical Well-Known Member

I'm sorry - am I logged in to the 'parents anonymous' website? I didn't realize we had to answer to people here regarding our parenting efforts.

If you must know (and apparently you do), in our household kids are raised to have a sense of personal responsibility and, as an adult he accepts responsibility for his life and his own actions.

I could go through how/when he gained the weight, how much he had to lose to get into the Navy vs. how much he decided to lose to be in better shape, how much weight he gained in college, etc. but I don't see where that is your business or anyone else's here (unless I'm on the wrong website or GPDO is not the website I thought it was).

19. 45_Fan

45_Fan Well-Known Member

Great work!

20. Mrs_Esterhouse

Mrs_Esterhouse Swollen Member

Serious question. What was your average dinner like, and was there a lot of fast food mixed in?