30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
TITLE 16. CRIMES AND OFFENSES
CHAPTER 11. OFFENSES AGAINST PUBLIC ORDER AND SAFETY
ARTICLE 4. DANGEROUS INSTRUMENTALITIES AND PRACTICES
PART 3. CARRYING AND POSSESSION OF FIREARMS

O.C.G.A. § 16-11-130 (2011)

§ 16-11-130. Exemptions from Code Sections 16-11-126 through 16-11-127.2

(a) Code Sections 16-11-126 through 16-11-127.2 shall not apply to or affect any of the following persons if such persons are employed in the offices listed below or when authorized by federal or state law, regulations, or order:

(1) Peace officers, as such term is defined in paragraph (11) of Code Section 16-1-3, and retired peace officers so long as they remain certified whether employed by the state or a political subdivision of the state or another state or a political subdivision of another state but only if such other state provides a similar privilege for the peace officers of this state;

(2) Wardens, superintendents, and keepers of correctional institutions, jails, or other institutions for the detention of persons accused or convicted of an offense;

(3) Persons in the military service of the state or of the United States;
My primary intent while carrying weapons is to protect myself, however I also want to make sure I am doing it legally. Can anyone tell me what if any parts of sections 16-11-126 through 16-11-127.2 my "exemption" would not affect? For example, if I am reading this right I would not have to have permission from a bar owner to carry in their establishment (16-11-126, "In a bar, unless the owner of the bar permits the carrying of weapons or long guns by license holders"). But couldn't the owner or an agent of the owner just ask me to leave anyway? If I am exempt, why was I required to surrender my weapon when I went to the sheriff's office to file a report? If I am in the right I want to know so I can stand up for myself but I don't speak legalese :help:

I've only been on this forum for a short time but I've already seen some bad blood directed at others who are exempted from these restrictions... please remember I am just another citizen trying to exercise his 2A rights to their fullest within the confines of local law. :cantsay:

edit: HTML fail :shattered:

·
Registered
7,594 Posts
You're exempt from all restrictions, and you're entitled to the same privileges as a law enforcement officer. You can carry into the state capitol. That said, use caution in schools, because the Federal School Safety Zone Act might mess you up. Go ahead and get a GWL (Georgia Weapons License), and you can carry to a PTA meeting. In addition you'll have reciprocity with a bunch of other states. Those other state might not honor (read may well not) a military ID.

I do not believe any group of people should be special,............not even my brothers (son included). Consider joining GeorgiaCarry.org and fight the good fight to win privileges for everyone!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
CountryGun said:
You're exempt from all restrictions, and you're entitled to the same privileges as a law enforcement officer.
Except carrying into their office. "Only if you're a deputy" was what I was told :roll:

·
Yukon Cornelius
11,722 Posts
CTI1(EXW) said:
CountryGun said:
You're exempt from all restrictions, and you're entitled to the same privileges as a law enforcement officer.
Except carrying into their office. "Only if you're a deputy" was what I was told :roll:
theres a thread around here somewhere when Gruntpain carried into a courthouse....he was also exempt....

·
Senior Mumbler
6,434 Posts
CTI1(EXW) said:
CountryGun said:
The law says you're exempt. The LEOs can tell you anything they want. Many do not know the law and only assume what they want to.

All that said, if you want to press the issue with an uniformed LEO or one that disregards the law, then there's always the possibility that you'll take a ride and spend the night in jail. Just because something is legal doesn't mean people have not been arrested for it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts