Exemption as a peace officer

Discussion in 'Places Off-Limits' started by Rmarbut, Apr 26, 2017.

1. Rmarbut

Rmarbut Hound Dog

If peace officer in Ga are exempt from 16-11-126 thru 16-11-127.2 then how can GWCC prohibit peace officers from being armed even off duty with creds?

2. Fallschirmjäger

Fallschirmjäger I watch the watchers

Are you certain that off-duty police officers are prohibited from entering the GWCC while armed?

This thread on Georgia Packing implies that such carry is not prohibited even for the common citizen.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2017

3. UtiPossidetis

UtiPossidetis American

Its not in GWCC. In the arena its different. CNN Center is private and has gun buster signs up and mall ninjas but only screen for behind the scenes at CNN proper. No metal detectors at GWCC anywhere but those two non- GWCC, but associated, facilities. We had a claim recently that a State Park was restricted, someone at the park said so. They were either mistaken or intentionally lying. Misinformation abounds. Remember NRA is at GWCC this weekend and except for the venue where the President is speaking is carry friendly.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2017
  4. Fallschirmjäger

Fallschirmjäger I watch the watchers

I was just perusing the GWCC's Policies & Procedures Manual for exhibitors and visitors and found nothing about firearms/weapons on property aside from a restriction on security firms arming their personnel -

5. UtiPossidetis

UtiPossidetis American

So, the right to carry can be negotiated away contractually. Why on earth would a sworn peace officer take a security gig at GWCC under those circumstances?

6. Rmarbut

Rmarbut Hound Dog

I thought the law exempted LEO from those who normally had to have a carry permit.
    Not sure why LEO even off duty would be banned in food court areas with firearms. Maybe I misread the code section and if not then maybe those applying rules need to reconsider their rules for any LEO on or off duty. At least we are trained and can assist if a crisis did arise. But without a firearm we would be limited.
    Hope someone can clarify the exemption law.

7. gunsmoker

gunsmoker Lawyer and Gun Activist

If the CNN center and the "food court" is private property, NOT owned by the GWCC authority (itself a quasi-government agency), then we get back to the general rule about the rights of property owners to make "no guns allowed" rules for their businesses, their workplaces.

16-11-130 creates an exception to the application of criminal law. It says the cops and prosecutors and court clerks, etc., are not committing any crime if they carry at a location, or in a manner, that would otherwise be illegal within that range of Code sections listed.

16-11-130 doesn't say that private property rights are abrogated and a private facility can't have its own administrative rule or code of conduct about weapons possession.

8. UtiPossidetis

UtiPossidetis American

Banned is an interesting term. GWCC has contractual agreements with private security firms that they must agree to in order to work on GWCC property that say no weapons when someone, anyone even a peace officer, works for you on our property. Both the Security firm and the peace officer can decline to take the job, but if they do sign the contract/accept the job they are bound by the contract like any citizen. As for CNN center, Gun Buster signs have no weight of law - even for CNN. So, you can carry and all they can do is individually notify you that you must leave their private property. If you do so, no foul.