Executive order for LEO carry?

Discussion in 'Firearm Related' started by MesaCranker, Nov 30, 2010.

1. MesaCranker

MesaCranker Active Member

Can someone provide me the name (maybe a link?) to the executive order implemented by W that allowed currently sworn LEOs to carry just about anywhere in the country? I've tried to find it on Google and came up with nothing related to what I was looking for. Thanks.

2. Mstr-Chris

Mstr-Chris Well-Known Member

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Law_Enforc ... Safety_Act

3. fflintlock

fflintlock Active Member

Why can't a law abiding person, like myself get one of those ?
    nahhh,,,,,,,,,,,never mind,,,,,,,,, I guess we're just not trust worthy enough,,,,,,,,,,,,

4. CoffeeMate

CoffeeMate Junior Butt Warmer

5. RedDawnTheMusical

RedDawnTheMusical Well-Known Member

Except by the whims of politicians and special interest groups under the guise of "reasonable restrictions".

6. GAGunOwner

GAGunOwner Active Member

For the record it was not an executive order (I don't think the president has the authority to do actions such as this by executive order). It was a law passed by both houses of Congress and sent to President G.W. Bush's desk where he signed it.

7. MesaCranker

MesaCranker Active Member

K, thanks for clearing that up. I had always heard it referred to as executive order such n such....

8. legacy38

legacy38 Well-Known Member

This law was recently amended, and I do believe that the POTUS has signed the amended version into law.

I think the only major changes were changes to the time in service requirement (15 to 10) and clarification on whether some federal officers qualify.

The ins and outs of this law are debated almost as much as GA carry laws, and there are some legal questions that haven't been settled.

The basic nuts and bolts of it that retired persons meeting the service requirements can carry across state lines provided they maintain their qualification and have been issued retires credentials. There are lot of other fine point things associated with it. Also, there are some agencies that are not issuing the required retirement credentials.

9. GAGunOwner

GAGunOwner Active Member

They are also exempted by federal law from MOST but NOT ALL of the normal off-limits locations for carry.

I think some LEOs are not covered by it (Train Police, private campus police, etc.)

It only applies to handguns. It does not apply to most NFA weapons. It doesn't apply to those under the influence of drugs or alcohol.

I think it only applies to CC, not OC.