Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last night, the wife and I were coming up the escalator in Dillard's when a rather large fellow with a walkie-talkie walked swiftly past us. He was semi-yelling to the ladies working in a nearby department to "watch that door in case he tries to get out[there]..."

The ladies just giggled. They had no intention of stopping anyone, obviously. Well, anyway as we shopped, we noticed racks turned over in the floor and more security people briskly walking the floor. Suddenly a "thud" from overhead and the security guy we saw originally came toward us barking out to someone over his radio..." I think he's on the roof!" ( Stupid crook....it was freezing outside!)

Well, apparently this guy had been held for trying to run out of the store with some jewelry. However, he had escaped the room they were keeping him in. Security was doing a good job( as far as I could tell) in trying to locate him, and they were pretty sure he was on the roof. A customer walked past my wife and I, and an employee said to another lady " He's still running around in here?!" in a rather concerned voice. My wife and I looked at each other, smiled and kept shopping - alert to our surroundings, but without the fear and angst the employees were feeling. The customer stopped dead in her tracks and asked of the employees " They're after someone? In HERE? Oh my."

My wife said " just stick around here until they get him and you'll be ok." If we'd been sitting at a table somewhere, I'd have kicked her shin. The lady apparently wasn't that afraid and went off teetering through the racks of clothes still standing, soon oblivious to the fact that anything was going on around here other than the quest for a new outfit.

Anyway, soon the police arrived with a canine and they found the guy. Yep. On the roof, nowhere to go. They cuffed him and led him to the car without incident. But the whole time we were thinking, " What if this guy ran back into the store area and grabbed one of those giggling girls working there?" What could anyone have done( before the real officers got there and helped Paul Blart out?).

We were glad we were armed. Because as this little incident proves( but undoubtedly went over the head of that customer who didn't give it much thought other than the initial shock that it could happen there, in Dillard's of all places!?) you just never know when you might find yourself in a situation that could turn ugly.

Pay attention out there folks, and share your awareness (and the reason for being armed) with people every chance you get.

btw - my wife got a great deal on a nice blouse. $10.50. They're having a pretty big sale, apparently.

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
Owl said:
Last night, the wife and I were coming up the escalator in Dillard's ..... they were pretty sure he was on the roof.
To the best of my knowledge, malls typically have exactly one roof access and all of them I've encountered were locked.

There was a major fail for the "security" force here.

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
The lady apparently wasn't that afraid and went off teetering through the racks of clothes still standing, soon oblivious to the fact that anything was going on around here other than the quest for a new outfit.
Don't you know the females psychology? Get them into a cloth store where they can shop and EVERYTHING is oooooooooooook! :righton:

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
Good point - it's pretty smug of people to think "it can't happen here."

I like your wife's comment!

Thanks for sharing.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts