·
68,657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is wrong with people?

http://www.nashuatelegraph.com/apps/pbc ... 06/-1/news

Passer-by’s use of deadly force in question

By JOELLE FARRELL, Concord Monitor

Published: Tuesday, May. 15, 2007

Police officers interviewed Monday said they admired the actions of Gregory Floyd, who last Friday shot and killed a man who had shot Franconia Police Cpl. Bruce McKay and ran him over with his car.

Allenstown Police Chief Shaun Mulholland said he hopes a passer-by like Floyd would help him if he were in a similar circumstance.

“In small town America, it’s good to know that citizens are there to help us,†Mulholland said. “Because we can’t do this job alone.â€

But some citizens think Floyd overstepped boundaries when he used lethal force to stop Liko Kenney, 24, who shot McKay after an altercation following a traffic stop.

“No one has a right to take a life, regardless of what happens,†said Beth Starbird, 24, of Boscawen. “He should’ve tried to stop it or called for help.â€

Kevin Miller, 18, a business major at Plymouth State College, said Floyd couldn’t have known who was at fault in the situation.

“How do you know the truth?†said Miller, who was out with friends at White Park in Concord on Monday. “How does he know what really happened?â€

Floyd, 49, of Easton, was driving with his son on Route 116 in Franconia last Friday evening when he came upon McKay and Kenney, according to the state attorney general’s office. Floyd saw Kenney shoot McKay four times. When McKay collapsed, Kenney backed his car up over McKay, pinning him.

Floyd tried to use his car as a barricade between Kenney and McKay, according to police investigators. When that failed, he picked up McKay’s gun from the ground and approached Kenney’s vehicle. Floyd told his son, also named Gregory Floyd, to use McKay’s police radio to call for help.

Floyd aimed the gun at Kenney and told him to put his gun down. When Kenney did not drop his gun, Floyd shot him, according to police investigators.

Several police officers praised Floyd’s actions. If Floyd had not intervened and instead simply called for help, Kenney could have driven off and hurt more people, said Dave McCarthy, former executive major of the New Hampshire state police.

“This is a completely out of control situation,†McCarthy said. “If this guy (Floyd) doesn’t take action and (Kenney) goes down the road into a school house, what are we going to think about it then?â€

McCarthy, who also served as the northern division commander for the state police during his 28 years in law enforcement, said if Floyd had called for help, it may not have come before Kenney got away. Kenney could have also shot and killed Floyd, he said.

“You’re talking about Franconia,†he said. “There are areas up there where the radio doesn’t work, you can’t get reception.†He added, “The next police officer on scene would have done the same. I don’t see anything wrong in what this person did.â€

Mulholland said he once needed help from passers-by when a drunken man resisted arrest and started fighting with him. They ended up wrestling and rolling on the ground, he said. The man was much larger than Mulholland, then a police officer in Raymond, and Mulholland knew that even if he could call for backup, it would take some time to arrive.

Luckily for Mulholland, three passers-by came to his aid and helped subdue the man.

“We don’t have legions of police,†he said. “There’s no question about it. We do need help from the public.â€

Some citizens interviewed Monday wondered why Floyd didn’t shoot Kenney in the leg or the arm, injuring him instead of killing him. But officers say if Kenney was sitting in his car, Floyd’s only clear shot may have been from the shoulder up. Floyd also reportedly served in the Marine Corps. Members of the military and law enforcement are trained to shoot at the center of the body, and even then, they sometimes miss, McCarthy said. Aiming for a limb increases the risk of missing all together.

“There’s no such thing as shooting to wound,†McCarthy said.

Hillsboro Police Capt. David Roarick said, “We shoot to stop the threat. We’re not trained to shoot to injure people. Had it been another police officer, they would have shot to prevent the threat.â€

But many local residents interviewed agreed that Floyd acted justly.
“I probably would have done the same â€" I hope I would, anyway,†said Dennis Roy, 38, of Keene.

George Oickle, 38, a network administrator for the Coca-Cola Company who lives in Gilmanton, said if he came upon the same scene, he would assume Kenney would have no trouble killing again.

“If the guy reloads the gun, he’s going to use it,†Oickle said. “He just shot a cop. What’s going to stop him from shooting me?â€

Still, Oickle said the story of what happened Friday still doesn’t make sense to him. “If (Kenney) ran the cop over, he was on his way out,†he said. “So how does (Floyd) have time to stop him and shoot him?â€

Greg Fischer, 34, a mortgage broker from Penacook, said he admires Floyd’s bravery but doesn’t know if he could do the same in the circumstances, because he has t young daughters, ages 3 and 6, at home.

“If I was a passer-by, there would be a cell phone call and concern for the officer that was down, certainly,†he said. “But I don’t think I’d have it in me.â€

·
68,657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Thank goodness for Georgia's immunity law!

These people could end up on a jury.

·
Registered
2,205 Posts
Beth Starbird, 24, of Boscawen. “He should’ve tried to stop it or called for help.â€
He did stop it. Call who for help the BG already shot a LEO, get a brain you 24 yr old moron!

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
He shot him 4 times AND RAN OVER HIM!!
WTF are you people thinking?!! How can you say the guy did anything wrong. The only thing wrong I can think of is that he might have done wrong is if he didn't empty the cops magazine into the perp.

These kind of people need to be defined as mentally ill and locked up (or at leaxt prevented from ever legally owning a gun. They might use it for a hammer or door stop or something....)

·
Registered
2,205 Posts
These kind of people need to be defined as mentally ill and locked up
I was thinking not allowed to bread, but then we would be trampling on their right of the pursuit of happiness.

·
68,657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Tinkerhell said:
He shot him 4 times AND RAN OVER HIM!!
WTF are you people thinking?!!
But it was excessive, and the shooter wasn't even a cop . . .

Whine.

Sniffle.

Urinate.

·
Registered
310 Posts
No neither, he should have yelled for help and then :puke: , or doesn't that method work with these kind of criminals????

Kidding of course, I'd have done the same thing, and then run him over, but my bike may not hurt him enough....

·
Registered
15,974 Posts
Some citizens interviewed Monday wondered why Floyd didn’t shoot Kenney in the leg or the arm, injuring him instead of killing him.
Sounds like they've been watching too many movies. :roll:

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
Greetings,

I lived 5 years in Keene, New Hampshire. The new Hampshire population is very peculiar. They are highly libetarian but with a high dose of liberalism. Laconia is a very special case. It is near the lake Winnipesaukee, the biggest lake of NH, one of the most appreciated summer vacation place of New England and capital of the motor cycle mania.

A lot of the rich guys in Massachussets and New York city have summer houses. For example, John Kerry spends all his summers with his boys there and you can run by him often. Those guys changed the town laws to accept their views along the years (They have the money and power obviously). So, don't be surprised if that guy ends in prison because the liberal sherriff will be pressured by the anti-gun crowd.

Thank you

·
Romans 10:13
4,632 Posts
Stupid ain't the word for those people.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts