Ex-Marine Kills Bear With Log

Discussion in 'Off-topic' started by Sharky, Jun 21, 2007.

1. Sharky

Sharky New Member

Ex-Marine Kills Bear With Log

POSTED: 5:02 pm EDT June 20, 2007
    UPDATED: 6:48 pm EDT June 20, 2007

HELEN, Ga. -- An ex-Marine used a whole lot of bravery and a little bit of luck in a harrowing encounter with a black bear.

Norcross resident Christ Everhart took his three boys on their first camping trip to the Chattahoochee National Forest last weekend. There, a 300 pound bear set her sights on their cooler. But when Chris’ son distracted the wild animal, the bear dropped the cooler and headed for the 6-year-old boy.

“He held it right here then he threw it and it went rolling and struck the bear right there,†said Jake Everhart.

Eleven-year-old Jake described how his dad kept a 300 pound black bear away from his youngest brother, Logan.

Chris Everhart and his sons were packing up after dinner when they got the unexpected guest.

The bear sunk her teeth into their cooler and was headed to the woods. Then 6-year-old Logan took action.

“I got a shovel and I tried to scare it,†said Logan.

But Logan was the one who ended up getting scared and getting the bear’s attention. The bear dropped the cooler and headed towards Logan, growling.

“When Logan was being chased by the bear, I threw about five rocks at the bear to keep him away,†said Kyle Everhart.

The boys’ dad, an ex-Marine, knew he had to do something. So he grabbed the closes thing he could find – a log.

“(I) threw it at it and it happened to hit the bear in the head and I thought it just knocked it out but it actually ended up killing the bear,†said Chris.

Chris’ family will never forget the camping trip. Chris even ended up being cited for not properly storing his food, but that’s not what he feels bad about.

“I feel bad about killing the bear,†said Chris.

Officials from the Department of Natural Resources said there has never been a bear attack in Georgia. But they said there is no way to predict how wild animals will behave. The best advice is to keep food and garbage away from the reach of bears.
    Copyright 2007 by WSBTV.com. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed

2. pro2am

pro2am New Member

3. glockgirl

glockgirl New Member

gunny will love this...

4. USMC - Retired

USMC - Retired New Member

Yeah I can remember the "Killing a bear with a log" training they gave us in boot camp.... Silly me, I thought we would never need it.... :lol:

5. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

:lol:

6. Mobster989

Mobster989 New Member

I keep hearing stories similar to this and they say, "There has never been a reported bear/wolf attack in this state." You want to know why they weren't reported? Because the victim is now a carcass. I'm thinking these attacks are on the increase since we've been trying to bring the predators back to their old ranges.

7. M249

M249 New Member

Man... the Marines got to do all the fun stuff. We had a sexual harassment class instead.

8. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

:rotfl:

9. Axeman

Axeman New Member

I wonder if I should start carrying a log on my belt too. :p

10. gsusnake

gsusnake Token Liberal Hippie

Yeah, it's kinda hard to complain about being attacked when you're bear ****.

11. Sharky

Sharky New Member

http://www.wsbtv.com/news/13552641/detail.html

"Park authorities said he didn't properly secure his campsite"

Love those news reports!!!! Accurate and dependable!

I would take this as permission to carry and fortify my campsite.:)

Ok....maybe not....................

12. pro2am

pro2am New Member

Why do government employee's have to act that way? Give the guy a ticket? Gimme a break. What if it was one of them being charged...do you think for even a moment that they would hesitate to do something besides lie down and play dead (okay, maybe not)...but still...why can't they think for themselves?

13. RedBeard

RedBeard New Member

There is a lot more to this situation than is being reported. But since we are in Georgia, that is not surprising.

The bear was running the other way, not being aggressive and nowhere near his kid.

Black bears are rarely aggressive(rarely means black bears attack people so rarely that they are considered non-aggressive in essentially all circumstances). Yes, there have been a very few black bear "attacks" on humans. Essentially all were related to keeping exposed food in a campground. A cooler is exposed food to a bear.

The bear was a black bear with three cubs. So this fella bravely killed four bears not one. The three cubs ran off and will probably die. Black bear sows do not "attack" when a person gets near the cubs. Generally you could pick up a cub and pull its ears. She may moan and groan and maybe even bluff charge but she will not "attack."

A Grizz will eat you if you do the same thing.

If he, and others, were more responsible with their food and their trash, the bear and her cubs would not have been there in the first place.

The US Forest Service issued the citation for exposed food not the GA DNR. The GA DNR could issue a citation for taking a game animal out of season, but probably will not, especially if it turns out that it was indeed an accident that he killed the bear.

Everhart states the bear was growling, black bears do not growl. Never have, never will. Physically impossible. Whenever someone says that I know there are some issues with their story.

My understanding is that Mr. Everhart has changed his story multiple times. He told the Forest Service folks one thing, then changed his story when the GA DNR folks showed up, and has changed or embellished it several times since.

Something more than his cooler is fishy.

Regardless, his lack of responsibility is ultimately what killed the bear. I am not impressed.

14. zookeper

zookeper Active Member

that would open up a whole new set of problems; apply for a GLL, buy even more expensive holsters (IWB would not be recommended but "smart carry" may help you get dates;)

15. LeCZends

LeCZends New Member

You appear to be somewhat learned on the subject. Care to demonstrate any of your claims or at least post the source of your information? Without either your remarks are quite unimpressive. One other thing black bears may not growl but they do grunt I really don't understand the importance of what sound the bear made. Bottom line is under the same circumstances I'm not gambling with my children on whether this is one of the rare aggressive black bears that you speak of...better her cubs than mine.

16. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

LeCZends, redbeard is an old member here, and he works in that field. He probably just assumed the readers would know that, much like they know I have a thing for open carry.

17. USMC - Retired

USMC - Retired New Member

Wait! :? MP has a "thing" for open carry? :shock: I was almost arrested for that once...

18. Axeman

Axeman New Member

:rotfl:

Maybe a log sling would do the trick. Besides if you attach a rope to it you could "reload" easier. :wink:

19. GeorgiaGlocker

GeorgiaGlocker Romans 1:16

I remember you telling me about that gunny. How did it feel getting hit in the head by all those marine recruits? :p

20. RedBeard

RedBeard New Member

Yep. Sorry.
    Responses in same order...Yes. No. Don't care. Log bearer specifically stated "growled" according to AJC reporter (who, admittedly, have a penchant for misquoting). A "growl" is a world of difference from "running the other way with a cooler in her mouth." Sounds like a gun-grabber line I heard somewhere... "rare aggressive gun owner."

Finally, to beat a dead horse...
    I apologize for my terseness. I have had a long day dealing with annoying issues.