Every Man Needs to Own (and Carry) a Pocketknife

Discussion in 'Weapons' started by Malum Prohibitum, Feb 14, 2018 at 10:18 AM.

1. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

http://www.returnofkings.com/154533/every-man-needs-to-own-a-pocket-knife

EVERY MAN NEEDS TO OWN A POCKET KNIFE
    [​IMG] CR SMYTH FEBRUARY 13, 2018

Even though a permit is not required to have one, I admit to not carrying a pocket knife until 2015. I had realized that I became part of a generational sea change on this item, which I now view as being much more than just a male accessory choice.

It all started when I was at a Garden Center store looking for a trellis, but when I found one, it was bound to several others by nylon zip-ties. I knew I couldn’t saw it free with my keys, so I started to look for some help. I soon saw an old man walking down the aisle and instinctively thought he would have a knife on him, but he didn’t, nor did another man I asked.

AtlPhilip likes this.
  2. Malum Prohibitum

The article lists five reasons for the decline in the carrying of knives.

I had forgotten about Lincoln having a pocket knife in his pocket when he was assassinated.

It's a good article.

3. Craftsman

Craftsman Well-Known Member

Humans are tool users. A pocket knife is a basic tool. I carry a Leatherman Surge multitool on a belt pouch. I would sooner leave my EDC behind than go out without a knife.

AtlPhilip likes this.
  4. RedDawnTheMusical

RedDawnTheMusical Well-Known Member

I carry and use a knife for a variety of tasks daily - sometimes as simple as opening an envelope. I almost always carry fixed blade knives (either on the belt or in a pocket with a pocket sheath) as I don't have a high confidence in folders locking securely and any impact-type activities (like batoning) are better with a full tang, fixed blade knife.

hma153 likes this.
  5. Darklock

Darklock Member

There has been one in my pocket everyday since cub scouts back in 1970. As a matter of fact, I still have that one , sitting on my desk.

AtlPhilip likes this.
  6. AtlPhilip

AtlPhilip Proud GCO member.

This. Growing up in the south, getting your first knife is a right of passage, and for most a knife remains an EDC for life. I still have a scar from the day I got mine. It was a Barlow two blade.

My mother gave me Dad's pocket knife at his funeral. I put it back in his pocket before the casket was closed.

7. UtiPossidetis

UtiPossidetis American

6 knives on my dressing table every morning, and only 5 there once I leave the house.

8. moe mensale

moe mensale Well-Known Member

I've been carrying a Pro-Tech 4" Godfather every day since 2009. Sometimes the XDM stays home but the blade is always with me.

9. GAfirearmsReference

GAfirearmsReference Weapons Law Booklet

C3C21FD2-5CFF-4BBA-B48B-FDE96A2D03CF.jpeg I always carry a small knife to use as a tool, not a weapon.

This year it’s this one, with a 1.25” blade that folds into a Key shaped frame.

10. GAfirearmsReference

7739CA2A-2AE5-4527-9D11-13190709AF47.png Last year’s mini pocket knife (keychain knife).

11. GAfirearmsReference

D07D6E31-27C9-4448-9583-9BA7D2021EAE.jpeg For most of the last few years, my day carry pocketknife was a really cheap lock-back. Light plastic frame, stainless blade, sharp and serrated edge.
    Cost is $2.00; sold from glass jar at counter of local hardware store and auto parts store too.

The blade on these is about 2” long.

12. Squid

Squid Gun pecan

TSA confiscated mine a few years ago. :roll:

13. Verbal101

Verbal101 Active Member

I now carry two Spyderco knives (I added the Endura 4 to my EDC since reading an Amazon review from an ambulance driver), but can't remember when I didn't carry at least one. Not since earning my Totin' Chip.

14. jsaund22

jsaund22 Computer Ninjaneer

I always have at least two or three knives on me. I agree that it is something that every man should have (and every lady - let's not kid ourselves), but the understanding of the pocketknife as a tool is being bred out of our kids by our schools.

15. OldWoreOutMarine

OldWoreOutMarine Active Member

I have always carried an Old Timer pocket knife. The first one My Daddy gave to me when I was 10. Lost it some years later on My first all expenses paid trip to Southeast Asia. Hope whichever little communist bast... that found it has taken care of it. The one I carry now is another Old Timer and was a gift from my youngest Son 30 years ago. It replaced another Old Timer. A Man should be able to tell stories about the Pocket Knives he has owned.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2018 at 4:13 PM
    hma153 likes this.
  16. Craftsman

Craftsman Well-Known Member

I have given pocketknives as presents to offspring, nephews, and nieces when they reached an appropriate age (with parental consultation and approval, of course). My middle daughter has my father's pocketknife I gave him when he was released from prison. Free man and all that. (She only knows it is his knife, not the prison part). My eldest daughter got my old Leatherman Wave when she moved into her first apartment. I am also the "sharpening guy" they bring the knives back to, usually during a family summer vacation in the mountains. I have many objects with blades and points, some of which do fit in a pocket.

17. Malum Prohibitum

MP Jr. gave me an Old Timer. It's in my pocket now.

18. rmodel65

rmodel65 Yukon Cornelius

Speaking of pocket knives I bought a kershaw shuffle for 10$ a few min ago because it's the legal length to carry in a city in visiting tomorrow in a state to the south of me. Gonna go to the Chicago auto show tomorrow should be pretty interesting

19. zetor

zetor Active Member

When I was a boy, we used to trade them back and forth in school openly. I carry a case with a single clip blade now. The brass bolsters are buggered up and there are a few gaps in the blade. When it was new, I just sharpened it and never cut anything that would mar it. It wasn't really useful treating it like that. I had a hawk bill that I lost and started using the case about 10 years ago. It wears holes in my pockets of my company uniforms over time but we have a uniform service. I have a cheap whet rock and hit it a few licks every now and then.

20. Wheedle

Wheedle Member

My mom and dad both carried Old-Timer's. I've carried a vaiety of styles of folders over the years. I now have a small Buck folder that my son gave me for Christmas a couple of years ago. I think it was he first gift from him hat he actually knew what he was giving me. It is an all-purpose-tool... deburring aluminum parts, opening packages, cutting food, removing splinters, trimming nails, prying apart stubborn Legos... it goes everywhere with me. I hope to have it around for many years, maybe when his son is ready. I really hope to eventually find one of my mom and dad's Old Timers to give to my son.

Schweisshund likes this.