Every city has its community activists...

Discussion in 'In the News' started by Macktee, Jun 8, 2007.

1. Macktee

Macktee New Member

This guy is Louisville's top activist; there's another, seeming far more intelligent one, who answers to "Christopher 2X".

The Rev. Louis models himself on Jesse Jackson, extorting funds from government and businesses in exchange for not picketing and/or boycotting them. Ooops. I mean, in exchange for funds to help them find qualified minority employment candidates, of which there's no record he's found even one!

But, he still gets his money. In total, several hundred thousand per year.

His only other talent is getting himself on TV and in the newspaper. Other than that, he's a complete buffoon! Most of his ideas have ranged from ludicrous to the completely unbelievable. This one falls somewhere in the middle, as pointed out by some of the "comments"...

The West End of Louisville is predominantly black, and where I grew up many, many years ago. At one time, Ol' Louis threatened to lead a drive to secede from Louisville if police didn't stop shooting young black thugs. He was shocked when many in the white community thought it was a wonderful idea as it would eliminate most of the city's crime, drug and poverty problems.

Anyway, here's his latest not-too-well-thought-out escapade. Sarah Brady would be soooo proud.....

http://www.courier-journal.com/apps/pbc ... 008/NEWS01

Friday, June 8, 2007

Protest outside pawnshop seeks limits on gun sales
    Coleman leads anti-violence rally

By Britney Tabor
    btabor@courier-journal.com
    The Courier-Journal

Some 20 people, including about a dozen children, protested outside a western Louisville pawnshop yesterday afternoon, seeking limits on gun sales.

The Justice Resource Center sponsored the rally in support of its "Take A Stand Against Violence Campaign," which is starting with the goal of reducing access to firearms in high-crime areas of Louisville.

The rally outside Stewart's Pawn Shop, 1133 W. Broadway, was led by the Rev. Louis Coleman, director of the center.

"We have to do something. We have mourned enough in this community -- now it's time for marching," he said. "We're not saying they're (the pawnshops) the total problem, but they're part of the problem."

Coleman said he has sent letters to owners and managers of several local pawnshops, asking them to consider ending gun sales. There was little response to the letters after two weeks, Coleman said, and the rally was the next step to draw attention to the anti-gun effort.

Participants marched outside the pawnshop for 30 minutes chanting such phases as "Let's get rid of the guns," and "Don't buy guns here," while employees watched through the shop's windows. A man who would only identify himself as manager of the shop declined to comment about the march or Coleman's assertions.

Bob Perrin, 56, who lives in western Louisville and drove up while the rally was in progress, said he was happy to see people protesting in an area known for high crime.

"I'm really glad to see people like this are doing something -- especially the children," Perrin said. "The impact is powerful. We may not be able to make a difference in our time, but if they (the children) remember this, they can make a change for their future."

Lisa Tennyson, a 16-year-old from the Algonquin neighborhood who participated in the rally, said she's had family and friends affected by gun violence. Participating in the protest makes her proud because she's not sitting back watching others, she said.

"It means something good," Lisa said. "I'm glad someone is doing something because it would get worse if nobody spoke their mind."

At the rally's conclusion, Coleman told protesters that their efforts shouldn't end with just one protest. Prior to the rally he said the center and its supporters plan to work until they see positive results.

The anti-gun effort is one of three steps in the "Take a Stand Against Violence Campaign." Other steps include getting drug paraphernalia pulled off shelves in local stores and contacting elected officials about establishing policies to control violence and illegal drugs.

comments:

gary shadburn

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 7:02 am Post subject:
    we need louis coleman and his blow horn out at j-town...ex-cop unloads a gun in busy parking lot

2BobTanner

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 7:18 am Post subject:
    Gee, 20 people protesting--that's a real "groundswell of community activism" isn't it ?

I wonder how much Stewart's Pawn Shop had to "donate to the cause" in order to make them go away ?

Did y'all check out all of the photos in the linkie ? Photo #6 shows a Crip-wannabe wearing his gang's colors while hugging a family victim member.

And photo #3 is absolutely priceless !!!!!! :p

Disgustedagain

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 7:28 am Post subject:
    It says 20 people including 12 children were protesting. If my math is correct that means 8 adults were actually protesting. My question is:
    how many of those 8 adults can legally walk into Stewarts Pawn Shop, fill out the paper work and purchase a firearm legally? I'll bet Coleman can't, and I will bet the gangsta can't, so that only leaves 6 possible.
    They should leave Stewarts alone and go protest the street dealers.
    Oh, Coleman can't get any tv time for that.

PH

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 7:30 am Post subject:
    With all do respect to Coleman's cause, It is probally safe to say this Pawn Shop/Gun Shop is a Federally Liscensed Firearms Dealer. Which in sort terms, means the shop is most likely selling firearms in a legal manner, i.e. back-ground check. I understand Coleman's cause and motivation, but should his protest be directed at a target who is operating in a legal manner, and just happens to be in a high crime area. Last time I checked, firearms don't just jump off the shelves and harm people by themselves, it takes a person.

On a regular bases citizens in L-ville are injured by knives and stabbings. Yet I never see any protest directed a the local cutlery store. What about when someone is injured or killed by a drunk driver, which happens in Louisville or a regular bases, I have yet to see a protest directed at a bar or car dealership. The point I'm trying to make is, there are a lot of items in todays society that make it easier to harm or kill a person, but these items all have on factor everybody overlooks, the person behind them, don't blame the item or where it came from.

nursedeb49

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 7:50 am Post subject:
    BobTanner, One thing I've learned is not to judge a book by it's cover, A few years ago, I was nearly run off the road by a truck and my front tire was flattened, almost immediately a car pulls up behind 3 guys with mohawks at least 6 inches high and piercings in the nose and lips, and a blue haired girl get out. I thought that's it, I'm in trouble, instead they asked if we were OK, changed my tire in a matter of minutes, and after refusing any payment, off they went. I saw first hand how wrong you can be when you judge by appearances. However, I'd make an educated guess, most guns used in street violence are not registered guns, but guns with their numbers filed off sold on the street, and as such picketing the pawn shop isn't going to help.

Buster

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 7:57 am Post subject:
    I wonder if coleman's son participated, whoops, I forgot, isn't he still in jail for several crimes, including some with guns. May he should start at home before going on the street harassing honest business people! :x

neshaisabeast

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 8:23 am Post subject: Negative People
    I swear the opinion of most of you contributing your thoughts to this forum is just so negative. I am so glad I do not know of you personally because then I would also have bad Karma.

lobo

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 8:30 am Post subject:
    Get rid of spoons,they are what is making people fat.Glasses and bottles make people drunk.Makes sense?

robins

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 8:32 am Post subject:
    Beast I would guess no one else on this forum would want to know you either.

Disgustedagain

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 8:34 am Post subject:
    neshaisabeast you do know me. I am the average middle aged, white, conservative, christian, republican, male that is sick and tired of the local press reporting on Louis Coleman. He has not done anything constructive for our community in the last 10 years that I know of. His only "job" is get publicity any way he can. Here he is, protesting a legitimate business, rather than venturing out at night and confronting the gang bangers that are stealing weapons and using them on each other.
    The pawn shop is not the problem, the thieves and thugs are.

neshaisabeast

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 8:38 am Post subject: ???
    Fat people don't need a a spoon to eat, fat people will eat with anything even their fingers to get the Job done.
    True the Pawn shops can not be to blame for the gun problems in the WEst-END but why not start somewhere? I mean look what happened at the college in VA! Why sell guns anyway at the Pawn shop in a neighborhood with a public school next door?
    A Mcdonalds across the street and a church? Are the neighborhoods in JTOWN this way? Do you have a church then a liquor store on every corner?
    Then DON'T COMMENT ON THE WEST ENDS EFFORTS TO CLEAN THE STREETS AND RID THEM OF GUNS TO PROTECT OUR KIDS.
    AZZHOLES

julianna

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 8:38 am Post subject:
    he needs to be walking the streets of the west end and let the hoodlums know they aren't going to take the violence anymore. I doubt where most of these guns are coming from isn't from a gun store or pawn shop, they are coming from the streets.
    and why isn't he thinner with all the marching anyways?

Beauty

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 8:40 am Post subject: Louis Coleman
    First off, why does Coleman even care. He doesn't even live in Jefferson County. Secondly, the reason he isn't in J-town is because he apparently thinks that it is okay for a white person to shoot a white person, had it been a black and white thing, he would have been on it like stink on sh$&. Thirdly, like someone else already pointed out, most of the crime that is committed in that are are by people that couldn't even buy a gun in a pawn shop or any other place that sells them legally. In order to get them at the shop, the owner must do an extensive background check. The crime committed by thugs are acquired by other means. They know that it would be too easy to be identified if they used a gun that was purchased legally.
    I also think that Coleman is a hypocrite. He needs to be sweeping his own doorstep before he sweeps someone elses.

dbat

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 8:53 am Post subject:
    Stop selling guns in the West End !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Stop selling Beer, and Wine in the West End!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Stop selling Milk and Bread in the West End too !!!!!!!!!!!!
    let's send everybody to another area to spend their money.
    Let's stop selling anything in the West End and maybe everybody will move out and the area will be a safe Ghost Town.
    Why not teach the kids there to stop being criminals. To get a job and become good citizens that love their neighborhoods, family, friends, and sing in the choir.