Ever happen to you?

Discussion in 'General GWL Questions' started by blind_shake, Oct 6, 2007.

1. blind_shake

blind_shake Well-Known Member

I was at the gas station around the corner from my place getting me something to drink [other than beer]. There was about 4 people in line, I was at the end. I wasn't paying attention to the people in from of me I was tired from working all day just wanted to get home. Then I heard " I will show you something!" The guy whips out a knife flicks it open *click*. Before I even realized it I had my hand on my sidearm [reflex I guess]but I did not unholster it. But then the guy flipped it around and handed it to the clerk. I didn't hear the convo prior to that so I didn't know he was showing him the knife. The clerk I didn't think was expecting it either going by the look on his face. So I put my shirt back down over my sidearm tried to calm down and breath steadily without bringing attention to myself. Then I considered whether or not I needed the energy drink after all. :)

If the manager ever reviewed the tape they would probably see me in the background swinging around my back real quick for my weapon.

Something simular to this ever happen to anybody here?

2. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

No. Not yet. I guess it's bound to happen eventually, but at least I'll be prepared. I know he was just showing him the knife, but dang..

3. GunNut

GunNut New Member

Nope..I'd think that would make most people uneasy though.

4. raiderman

raiderman Guest

nope

Nope, but it should make you more comfortable in that situation to know that you had the means to defend yourself if you had to. Also, if the situation had been different, you would have been thankful for the second or so you saved by heading for your weapon. Seconds can make all the difference!

5. blind_shake

I was talking to a guy today about it and he said its a long tradition in the south that [I'm a yankee transplant] that you have to give a person a dollar or something like that if you give someone a open folder knife. The guy behind the counter was foriegn. So i guess the guy made 2 bad mistakes then lol.

I actually was thinking today about the other people that were not carrying about what was going thru their minds. tho no one showed it you could feel it in the air that everyone's heart skipped a beat just then. No one seemed to think "run" no one flinched. Maybe it was just me or it happened and ended too fast for anyone to do anything about it.

6. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

:?

7. blind_shake

its supposed to be bad luck o something. He was an old timer so might be something from way back when. Maybe someone here knows more about it.

8. GunNut

GunNut New Member

I've never heard of that...I was always taught to hand someone a knife handle first, by holding the blade, be it a fixed or folder with the blade open. Same goes for a gun, butt or grip first.

9. ICP_Juggalo

ICP_Juggalo Professional Troll

The ole' wives tale goes, if you give someone a knife as a gift then the recipient is suppose to give you a coin in return or else it "cuts" the friendship

10. Firearmz

Firearmz New Member

Easy on grabbing iron. Kind of like a youngster and premature ejaculation.

What if the guy behind you only seen you pull a gun and he had one. Always know what and who you are going to draw on. If the guy was going to rob, stab or cut the clerk, do you have any idea why? No, you would assume it was a robbery, assumption can cost many years.

11. budder

budder Moderator Staff Member

Yes, that way you are "selling" it instead of giving it. It's weird, but there are still many around that subscribe to that particular superstition.

12. VolGrad

VolGrad Tactical Statistician

I have never quite heard it that way. The way I hear it is that whoever opened the knife has to close it too. Otherwise, it is bad luck. I think the custom of handing it the other person already open is a matter of courtesy as the person receiving the knife is unfamiliar with its operation.

13. Axeman

Axeman New Member

Sort of but I wasn't armed. I went to Open Campus in Dekalb for a year and my first week some guy behind me was cutting an coke can with a huge folding/brass knuckle knife. I turned around to look, the guys sorta snarled at me so I turned back around. :help:

I saw this after a bunch of people told me Open Campus was a school of hudlums and crazy violent people. I am happy to say that was the only incident I ever saw, and think it was just a fluke. :wink:

Another incident in middle school (8th grade), I was chasing a guy who had been picking on my little bro, and he pulled a knive on me. I laughed at him and asked the people around watching what bone I should break first, and he took off running. :roll:

14. legacy38

legacy38 Well-Known Member

15. foshizzle

foshizzle New Member

A knife? If I was a good distance from it I wouldn't worry too much.

A gun... yeah... that would definitely put my stress level into the danger zone.

16. blind_shake

He was about 5 ft in front of me with 2 other people in front of me. I had my hand on my gun, there wasn't anyone behind me, even if there was they wouldn't have seen it. If someone with a knife can get within 10 ft of you he can do some damage. Don't under estimate what knife can do in the right hands.

17. N.T.F.S.

N.T.F.S. Active Member

A little bit of a read but interesting. here's the first paragraph

http://www.borelliconsulting.com/articles/21feet.htm

21 Feet Is Way Too Close!!
    By: Frank Borelli

"It is common knowledge that a suspect, armed with an edged weapon and within twenty-one feet of a police officer presents a deadly threat. Why? Because the "average" man can run that twenty-one feet in about one-point-five seconds; the same one-point-five seconds it will take that police officer to recognize danger, draw and point his weapon, and then pull the trigger. Even if the officer manages to get the shot off, and even if it hits the suspect; even if it instantly disables the suspect, the blade is going to be so close to the officer that the suspect's momentum may continue forward with enough force for the edged weapon to end up injuring the officer anyway. "

18. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

Interesting, NTFS.

19. VolGrad

VolGrad Tactical Statistician

I have yet to actually "reach for it" but am sure the day will come. Several time I have adjusted my cover garment when I saw what I considered to be a potential threat (not enough to expose my weapon, but enough to make sure I had an clear draw).

We were not there to assess the threat level ourselves, therefore, I do not feel it is our place to judge or criticize your reaction. I am sure your judgment is sound and trust you sincerely felt there might be a threat.

IMHO your "move for your weapon" was not an overreaction. If the threat was in fact real and you had not reacted, we would all be discussing it from a totally different standpoint right now.

20. Wiley

Wiley Guest

Do a search on 'Tueller Drill'.