Even the Police get robbed

Discussion in 'Georgia Crime Reports' started by Redbull72, Oct 12, 2010.

1. Redbull72

Redbull72 New Member

http://www.gwinnettdailypost.com/ho...e_guns_swiped_in_car_break-in__104748864.html
    I find it hard to believe that the officer leaves all this gear in the car. Is it undercover SOP to do so?

2. moga

moga New Member

In general, police officers should know better than anyone else why it is a piss-poor idea to store firearms in a vehicle. :evil:

I see this as an issue that warrants a professional reprimand. Especially considering the negligent party is not a rank and file member of the force, but a special investigator.

3. RedDawnTheMusical

RedDawnTheMusical Well-Known Member

This is exactly what I think about when I go somewhere like my kids' schools where I have to leave my gun(s) in the car in order to enter the building. It would be much safer if the gun was with me, but... think of the children.... :panic:

4. gunsmoker

gunsmoker Lawyer and Gun Activist

Do you want to hold police to the same standard and the general population or not?
    What should happen when you go shooting one day, only carrying one handgun for protection, and then you leave your range bag with a couple other guns and assorted other gear in your locked parked car while you meet a couple friends for dinner in Atlanta?
    Is it negligent? What's the answer? Don't park your car anywhere unattended with guns in it? That would mean you can't meet a friend for dinner on the same day you go shooting. You'd have to come straight home from the shooting range, and by the time you put your gear away it would be too late to drive all the way back into Atlanta for dinner.

I don't think leaving working guns in parked cars is a good idea either, but sometimes the circumstances of your life give you few choices.

Not many normal people want to eat dinner wearing three handguns and maybe having a rifle at your feet in a black nylon tactical case. ( Cadet Tackleberry from the Police Academy movies might see nothing wrong with it, though...)

5. moga

moga New Member

Yes, I would like to hold them to the same level of responsibility as a member of the public.

RESPONSIBLE, armed citizens don't leave multiple firearms in their car overnight. Period. The fact that the vehicle was parked at the person's residence makes it even more egregious.

Have I had to disarm while out and about for a few moments? Yes, but I try to avoid it as much as possible for fear that my guns will be used to kill cops or kids and have only done it a handful of times in several years. But overnight? Absolutely not. That's just friggin' unacceptable.

6. Redbull72

Redbull72 New Member

Smoker - Well that's all good in that scenario, but the car was parked at home. The officer could have simply carried the gear in a bag and brought the bag in when returning home. When I get home from the range I don't leave all my gear out in the truck overnight. Simply for the fact that it might get stolen. This wasn't an impromptu dinner, the officer was home.

7. RedDawnTheMusical

RedDawnTheMusical Well-Known Member

I can't imagine it is department policy that weapons can be maintained in vehicles that are not secured when not on patrol (not in a locked/restricted police garage, etc.). Idiots will break into anything and, as dumb as it is, that includes cruisers.

I have had to leave guns in a car before (e.g. eating at a restaurant after hitting the range), but my paranoia mandates that I park the vehicle where I can see it in the restaurant. I can't imagine having to explain to LEOs (or even worse, an AJC reporter) how I just let several weapons and a few hundred rounds of ammunition get into the hands of criminals on the street...