Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
American
3,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Perhaps there are those here who can find fault with this article....wait, let me rephrase that - I am certain there are those here who can find fault with this article, but it's a surprisingly open article about NRA, 2A, and gun ownership from CNN.

http://edition.cnn.com/2017/04/28/world/indian-immigrant-nra-convention/index.html

I wonder if the author is being written up by her boss at CNN as I type this line?

She doesn't talk about now CNN is for disarming everyone, is a "Gun Free Zone" at CNN Center, but that all their staff are protected by metal detectors, and armed mall ninjas. Isn't the APD response time good enough for the CNN staff?

·
Super Moderator
69,784 Posts
She talks about India nonviolence and lack of gun ownership but fails to mention how India is number 2 in the world for intentional murder. 2012 figures, 252 terrorist related murders and 43,355 other murders.

·
Registered
10,809 Posts
She talks about India nonviolence and lack of gun ownership but fails to mention how India is number 2 in the world for intentional murder. 2012 figures, 252 terrorist related murders and 43,355 other murders.
Yeah she painted a pretty picture of India with that huge omission. However, her article wasn't the usual 2A hit piece from CNN. I wish CNN would publish more like that - I might start reading their articles again....

·
Super Moderator
69,784 Posts
Gun ownership, he tells me, has its roots in the birth of this country.

"George Washington's army fought off the British with rifles," he says. "They overthrew an oppressive government."

His statement gives me pause. The gun laws in India stem from colonial rule, when the British aimed to quell their subjects by disarming them. Perhaps my Indian compatriots should consider the right to own guns from this perspective.
Interesting insight. I wonder if she knows Ghandi advocated for the same thing?

Among the many misdeeds of the British rule in India, history will look upon the Act depriving a whole nation of arms as the blackest. If we want the Arms Act to be repealed, if we want to learn the use of arms, here is a golden opportunity. If the middle classes render voluntary help to Government in the hour of its trial, distrust will disappear, and the ban on possessing arms will be withdrawn.
From a pamphlet Ghandi published encouraging Indians to fight for the British in WWI. The act to which Gandhi refers is India's Arms Act of 1878, which gave Europeans in India the right to carry firearms but prevented Indians from doing so, unless they were granted a license by the British colonial government.

·
Registered
14,962 Posts
My childhood in India was steeped in ahimsa, the tenet of nonviolence toward all living things.

The Indians may have succeeded in ousting the British, but we won with Gandhian-style civil disobedience, not a revolutionary war.
She doesn't understand the history of her birth country very well if she believes armed revolutionaries weren't part of the Indian independence movement. Guess she never heard of the Anushilan Samiti organization.

·
Old Member
131 Posts
Firsthand accounts, by a friend, who had to work in India, paints
a different picture as to why the British left. Filthy living conditions
due to poor sewerage systems, garbage everywhere and rivers filled
with raw sewage and dead animals (sometimes human remains) etc.

There's probably many good reasons she and the British left India.
IMHO. She may come to realize there is something worth protecting
in a country where the people are willing to fight, even to the death,
to DEFEND AND KEEP FREE and hang on to our LIBERTY and ability
of self defense. She may even end up working for Fox News Channel.

·
Man of Myth and Legend
15,408 Posts
Close to a fair and reasonable report. A bit on the gun "nuts" side but the closing comment is interesting.

Nemo

I am not certain that vast cultural differences can be bridged in a few hours, but I am glad I got a glimpse into the world of guns. I have much to consider.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts