1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Member Georgia Carry
11,902 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
7,903 Posts
Wonder where these places get their no-eth gas and how to really know that it is no-eth?

I know where all the RBOB gas in Atlanta comes from (2 pipelines) that drop at the Doraville terminals where the eth and trade name ingredients are added before going into the tank trucks.

·
Registered
3,405 Posts
I know 100% e-0 is better for small engines

A friend bought the same blower as I did one month after I did last summer. We both use the same mix oil and we both drained all the gas from the tank and ran carb dry. I use real gas and he used e-10. He had to clean is carb and change fuel lines, I pulled the cord twice.

·
Registered
4,909 Posts
I know 100% e-0 is better for small engines

A friend bought the same blower as I did one month after I did last summer. We both use the same mix oil and we both drained all the gas from the tank and ran carb dry. I use real gas and he used e-10. He had to clean is carb and change fuel lines, I pulled the cord twice.
Stihl?

Stihl is know to be unfriendly to ethanol.

I've run plenty of ethanol gas through plenty of equipment without issue (except Stihl).

How do you store your gas, how does your friend? That can make a huge difference.

Now that the Ingles on 41 in Cartersville has 90 octane ethanol free my truck gets it and all my equipment

·
Registered
780 Posts
I don't know if it is because of the oils that I use or the amount, but I never really have any problems from ethanol in my two strokes. I don't run them dry or dump the tanks unless the gas has turned colors. I run everything 32:1 with either Motul 800T or Castor 927, the same oils that I use in my CR250. The 927 makes everything smell good too. If I think my can of premix is questionable I just dump it in my truck or riding mower.

·
Premium Member
8,460 Posts
I have found that if you live somewhere near a popular lake or river that fishermen frequent (typically sells bait), they will be the ones where you will find ethanol free gas (off road use only).

·
Registered
167 Posts
Off road has lower taxes, Never seen it at the pump, because it's usually from a different supply chain distribution. Fairly common for bulk Diesel sold for heavy equipment, large ag operations, etc. Off road has a red dye, so trucking companies don't put in OTR vehicles.

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
Thanks for posting, this is a good resource.

I used to use Stihl weed eaters, and ran ethanol gas through them. Very hard to crank. Now I run Echo equipment and exclusively ethanol-free mix. No trouble cranking, even after winter storage. No trouble cranking Stihl chain saws, stored for 5 plus years, empty, refilled with ethanol-free gas.

For those who do their own yard work, finding ethanol-free gas nearby is like Christmas in the springtime.

·
Registered
3,405 Posts
Stihl?

Stihl is know to be unfriendly to ethanol.

I've run plenty of ethanol gas through plenty of equipment without issue (except Stihl).

How do you store your gas, how does your friend? That can make a huge difference.

Now that the Ingles on 41 in Cartersville has 90 octane ethanol free my truck gets it and all my equipment
Husqvarna

·
Registered
3,213 Posts
Ethanol in gas has real problems with water. Ethanol and water mix and cannot be separated except by distillation. The water reacts with oil in mixed gas to produce sludge, which clogs small passages in carburetors. A lawn guy that lives in the neighborhood has a stack of spare carbs for his hand-held power tools due to this issue.
Ethanol in regular gas also attracts and retains moisture and creates sludge, but at a slower rate than with mixed gas. Since powered watercraft like boats have a much bigger opportunity for mixing water and gas, plus they have long idle periods for sludge to form and clog, the Crown is pleased to allow an exemption to the normal Ethanol mix requirements for gas stations within a certain distance from a public lake. Many stations around Lake Lanier offer ethanol-free gas for "off road" use. Don't expect to save money because the tax isn't there. The cost of separate tanks, trucks, etc for Ethanol-free runs the price up by about a dollar a gallon more than regular gas.

·
Registered
3,405 Posts
Race trac and qt in canton both have e-0 neither of them have off road only on the pump

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
I found 2 locations in the Lawrenceville/Duluth area that sell non-ethanol gas. Current price around me is $2.69 per gallon. I started filling my new car with it as soon as I found it. Gas mileage actually went up. I will gladly pay the higher price to have the gas only in my vehicle.

·
Ninjaneering Computers
2,648 Posts
I found 2 locations in the Lawrenceville/Duluth area that sell non-ethanol gas. Current price around me is $2.69 per gallon. I started filling my new car with it as soon as I found it. Gas mileage actually went up. I will gladly pay the higher price to have the gas only in my vehicle.
Ethanol has a much lower specific heat than gasoline, meaning that for a given volume, ethanol has less power. That means you have to burn more ethanol-gas to make the same power as you do burning regular gas.

·
Cross-drawer
7,320 Posts
When ethanol gas hit the Savannah area years ago, myself and everyone I knew who kept track of their gas mileage said that their MPG dropped 10%. Another great government plan.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Ethanol is produced from corn, among other things. Iowa the first Presidential Primary produces a lot of corn. Pure coincidence I'm sure.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
A few clarification points from someone with nearly 21 years in the petroleum business. Two years as a transport driver, nearly nineteen years in terminal operations. (A petroleum terminal is the place transports load for delivery to retail).

I heard it was better for your yard grooming machines and older cars.

Find 100% gasoline here: http://pure-gas.org/index.jsp?stateprov=GA
Great resource for e-free gasoline. I've used it for several years, and find to it to be fairly accurate.

And yes, e-free is better for your small engines, and older cars, especially vehicles made prior to 1980.

Wonder where these places get their no-eth gas and how to really know that it is no-eth?
E-free gasoline is shipped through pipelines, usually at 85 and 91 octane. Ethanol is shipped via rail cars and trucks. (ethanol can't be shipped via pipeline because of it mixes with water, and pipelines have dips and valleys that collect water) The two products are blended together to make the end product when it's loaded for delivery to retail locations. 10% ethanol adds approximately 2 octane points hence the 87 and 93 octane at retail. If a retail location has ordered e-free, then the delivery driver loads 91 octane pure gasoline without ethanol. If a lower octane is desired, then the 91 octane is blended with the 85 octane to achieve the desired octane.

Why would ethanol free gas be off road use only?
Probably has more to do with air pollution than taxes. I'm not aware of any regulation that dictates e-free for off road use only, but I will look into it.

I'm thinking a "off road" sign on a pump is like a sign that says you can't carry a gun on MARTA.....but the educated know better.

Ethanol in gas has real problems with water. Ethanol and water mix and cannot be separated except by distillation. ~
Ethanol in regular gas also attracts and retains moisture and creates sludge, but at a slower rate than with mixed gas. Since powered watercraft like boats have a much bigger opportunity for mixing water and gas, plus they have long idle periods for sludge to form and clog, the Crown is pleased to allow an exemption to the normal Ethanol mix requirements for gas stations within a certain distance from a public lake. Many stations around Lake Lanier offer ethanol-free gas for "off road" use.
You're partially correct....the bigger factor for e-free around lakes is ethanol's ability to mix with water. If someone has a ethanol blended gasoline spill on a waterway, it's a lot more difficult to clean up. If the spill is e-free, then the gasoline will float making it a lot easier to clean up the pollution.

Ethanol IS corn whiskey. It's made the same way, and doesn't become ethanol until it's blended with a poison (typically NAPHTHA).

1 - 20 of 46 Posts