Epitome of Stupidity

Discussion in 'Firearm Related' started by Bulldawg182, Sep 27, 2007.

1. Bulldawg182

Bulldawg182 Active Member

This post is difficult for me to write as it's an admission of absolute stupidity on my part and is an event I'll forever be embarrassed about and will always be on my mind whenever I reach for a gun in the future. I read the recent post titled, "Biggest handling mistake" last week and scoffed that nothing like that had ever happened to me because I always kept in mind that every gun is ALWAYS loaded. Well, I now rank among those idiots who have done something stupid and were lucky enough to not hurt anyone in the process.

After reading about the Sig vs. HK last night, I was up very early this morning and wanted to put both side by side for size & weight comparison. At 4:30 am with coffee and the loaded Sig 229 which rests on my bed nightstand in hand, I went down to my basement office to compare the two. I removed the HK from the safe and sat at my desk with both weapons. I carefully removed the mag from the Sig and cycled the slide to remove the chambered round. Then picked up the HK and removed the mag from it as well. I then reinserted both full mags to check the weight comparison. I had the HK in my hand when I decided to remove the mag, cycle the slide and check the safety function in SA mode.

Don't ask me why, but as I typically do with an empty gun prior to inserting a full mag, I disengaged the safety, turned to my left and pointed the weapon at a "safe" spot towards the base of a wall with no one behind it and pulled the trigger to release the hammer. BANG.....I'm still shaking more than an hour later. I fired a 9mm round directly through the electrical outlet located a foot above the floor in my office, scared the $#@% out of myself and my wife upstairs and blew the electrical circuit breaker in my office. I had failed to cycle the slide on the HK and remove the chambered round.

I'm publicly admitting this stupid mistake as a warning to each of us that regardless of how safe we think we are, there's always that stupid negligent discharge waiting for us to cause. Mine was enhanced by handling weapons at 4:30 in the morning while still wiping the sand from my eyes, by a familiarity with weapons that created a mindset of nonchalance and a false confidence in my own ability to act safely under all conditions and my failure to remember rule #1......EVERY GUN IS ALWAYS LOADED!!!

Red faced, dumbfounded and shaking still, I ask each and every member to use better judgment than did I.

Bulldawg182

2. ber950

ber950 Active Member

Deep down I think everybody has one ND in them. That one will usually fix the problem.

Cooper said the reason there are four rules is so you can violate one and still come out okay.

BTW there is nothing quite as loud as a bang when you are expecting a click, except a click when you were expecting a bang.

3. gsusnake

gsusnake Token Liberal Hippie

That's precisely why I don't touch the trigger until I've made absolutely certain the chamber is empty.

If I set the gun down for 5 seconds at home while cleaning, I check the chamber again as soon as I pick it up (assuming it's assembled).

You can't be too careful... you're lucky it's just a damaged outlet. If I did something like that I'm afraid I'd kill a neighbor, and I'd definitely be in violation of my lease.

Glad you're OK.

4. GunNut

GunNut New Member

Glad no one was hurt.

I've always hate to pull the trigger and will avoid it if there is another option such as manually lowering the hammer. I always cringe when I have to pull the trigger on a Glock to release the slide to break it down. I must triple check it prior do pulling the trigger. I guess its partly from being brought up as "Never dry fire a weapon" and "don't pull that trigger unless you want to shoot what its pointed at".

5. USMC - Retired

USMC - Retired Active Member

Don't beat yourself up too bad Larry. You did, after all, ensure it was pointed in a safe direction. Make sure you shut the power off to that room before you replace the outlet...

btw: How is the Mrs taking it? Is the dog house roomie enough to have friends over? I just had cable run to mine...

6. Bulldawg182

I definitely am beating myself up pretty well and am not feeling very good about myself this morning. Luckily, my 16 year old son slept through the whole thing on the top floor. My wife is just shaking her head when I walk bye. I'm thinking hotel might be better than the dog house! :oops:

PS: What is a "poser"?

7. Mafuta54

Mafuta54 Active Member

I think he meant "POWER" the "S" key is directly below the "W" key!! :lol:

8. VolGrad

VolGrad Tactical Statistician

Yikes. Glad everyone is OK. These kind of stories are embarrassing to post, but in the end I think we will all remember them and be safer as a result. Thanks.

9. USMC - Retired

Yep Typo. That's what I get for trying to use two fingers instead of my normal one... :oops:

10. Bulldawg182

Yep, but no one here or anywhere else could make me feel any worse than I already do on my own. Hopefully, someone else here will avoid an ND if they remember my stupidity.

Now, I have to figure out what to tell the electrician when he arrives!! :oops: :oops:

11. slabertooch

slabertooch New Member

you were fighting off zombies, shot one and due to the lack of viable tissue and muscle mass, the bullet overpenetrated.

12. VolGrad

VolGrad Tactical Statistician

Use that Italian accent and say, "Ya, that's right. I shot it. You gotta problem with that?" Do this while OCing.

13. GunNut

GunNut New Member

Tell him you were shooting at a bug. :)

14. USMC - Retired

Don't tell him anything replace it yourself. It's really not that complicated, if you can read and turn a screw driver your can do it...

15. NTA

NTA Well-Known Member

Thank you. Your event report had lots of impact on me.

16. Bulldawg182

I'm glad you can use it as a vicarious learning experience. Trust me, you don't ever wanna do what I did. I keep thinking what might have happened.........nothing good....

17. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

I never cringed doing that. When I carried a PPK/S and would engage the safety, which would drop the hammer is a different story. Knowing that the hammer was falling on a live rounds ALWAYS made me cringe.

I'm glad that no one was hurt. I've been told that NDs are like motorcycle riders. There are two types of riders, those who have wrecked their bikes, and those who will.

18. RepeatDefender

RepeatDefender New Member

Wow, I'm just glad no one got hurt. I will certainly redouble my safety efforts after reading this account. Thanks for bringing it home and for being man enough to admit your mistake, Bulldawg. I'm sure it will help more than one of us avoid what could become terrible accidents.

19. GunNut

GunNut New Member

I can see it now, you concoct an elaborate story to what happened and after telling it, the electrician says, I read your post on GA Packing Bulldawg182. :D

20. GunNut

GunNut New Member

Yes, thats one reason why I prefer to carry DAO type weapons, Glock, XD, Sig DAK, etc. I don't like decockers much.