Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know it has been beat to death, but I'm in need of one or the other OR an alternative. I haven't had the chance to look at an Aimpoint, so I'd like some input. Mainly interested iin durability and the possibility of use for short range hunting (under 200 yards). Also interested in return to zero after removing.

I know the basic pros and cons like battery life and mounts.

This will be going on a Daniel Defense M4v5.

·
Registered
541 Posts
I'm partial to EoTech.

1 MOA center for precision. 60 MOA ring for rapid engagement.
If you're on an M-4 platform you'll be fine to 200yds easily.

I particularly like that you don't FEEL like your up in a scope.
Both eyes open acquisiton and much greater field of view.

I also like the AA versions too. Lithium might last longer but AA batteries are easier to replace.

·
I watch the watchers
12,883 Posts
I love the retical on my EOTech, but I also realize that the design has battery issues (at least in the older models where the batteries are in-line with recoil). If I were in the market for another red-dot, it would most likely be an Aimpoint or a Trijicon RX30.

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
My vote's on Eotech, I like the reticle better than just a simple dot.

·
Registered
655 Posts
I had an aimpoint style optic and liked it a lot. It was quick to put on target and the battery life was great. I replaced it with an Eotech XPS 2.0. I love that thing! It is rediculously fast to put on target. I like it better because of that. I keep an extra couple of batteries in the grip. I haven't had it long enough to know if the battery issue will make me not like it. I liked the aimpoint style too though, just not quite as much. It is on one of my .22s now.

·
Registered
4,521 Posts
I researched the heck out of this before making my decision, which ultimately went to Aimpoint. A 2 MOA dot is plenty precise for longer engagements, zero parallax, the battery life is unbelievable (about 5 years at a bright setting), and you can button it up and keep it clean without having to spend extra coin on dust covers.

·
Ordinary Average Guy
2,934 Posts
I'm very much in favor of the Aimpoints.

They're highly durable sights, damn near 'GI proof', in fact. :lol: The Comp M2s/M3s and now M4s are standard issue for the Army and many of the other branches of service use them widely as well. The stock Aimpoint mount will hold zero, as long as you install it on the rail slot you zero'd in at. I prefer LaRue Tactical's mounts though. They hold zero and are quicker/easier to install/remove from the weapon. I've done this at several zero ranges and they do indeed work as promised. Battery life goes from around five to as many as eight years, ( depending on battery type ) from a single battery.

If you're looking at potentially using the sight for hunting, I'd recommend Aimpoint's 3X magnifier. At least for me, ( with my crummy eyes ) at 100yds with just the Aimpoint redot, I can get hits on a half human sized target. With the addition of the 3X, I can pick either a head shot, or torso.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
ARMT Guy said:
I'm very much in favor of the Aimpoints.

They're highly durable sights, damn near 'GI proof', in fact. :lol: The Comp M2s/M3s and now M4s are standard issue for the Army and many of the other branches of service use them widely as well. The stock Aimpoint mount will hold zero, as long as you install it on the rail slot you zero'd in at. I prefer LaRue Tactical's mounts though. They hold zero and are quicker/easier to install/remove from the weapon. I've done this at several zero ranges and they do indeed work as promised. Battery life goes from around five to as many as eight years, ( depending on battery type ) from a single battery.

If you're looking at potentially using the sight for hunting, I'd recommend Aimpoint's 3X magnifier. At least for me, ( with my crummy eyes ) at 100yds with just the Aimpoint redot, I can get hits on a half human sized target. With the addition of the 3X, I can pick either a head shot, or torso.
+1! I tried the eotech and found the sight picture too busy and the ring blocked my vision way too much. Also altering the brightness required me to lose my target and re acquire it. Duh... Not the case with the Aimpoint. Rotate the knob and stay on target, simple and easy.

All held in place by Larue mounts, they are all I will use. Nothing else comes close. :righton: This setup keeps me on target out to 250 yds and I can switch to CQB in a second.

·
Ordinary Average Guy
2,934 Posts
Puffyfish said:

All held in place by Larue mounts, they are all I will use. Nothing else comes close. :righton:
Good lookin' set up there! :righton:

Aimpoint and LaRue.. one mighty fine combo:

8)

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have a Daniel Defense M4v5 and I got an Aimpoint for it. Get a Larue mount to go with it and you'll have as solid a combo as you could want. I liked the idea of the ring & dot of the Eotech, but I've just read to many stories from to many places relating to ongoing issues they've had with battery contacts going bad and turning Eotechs into bricks.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts