Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner

Encounter with Fellow Carrier

2K views 55 replies 28 participants last post by  budone1967 
#1 ·
So I am a manager at a company that is not 2A friendly. In fact, our policy is to call the police if someone enters our business with a firearm. This guy comes in with a .357 strapped to his side OC. I, obviously being a carrier myself, do not agree with this policy. He makes his way to the front and I try to strike up a conversation with him. I ask him what he thinks about SB308 (can't think of something better to say). He doesn't know what SB308 is. This makes me wonder about him legally carrying as SB308 is huge for our state and I expected (how dumb of me) that everyone who carries would know about this. Then he inquires as to what I am talking about. I then mention his sidearm and ask him if he has a license to carry the firearm. He says "you dont need a license to openly carry in Ga". Of course, I have to educate him that, you do in fact need one. He says not if you have the permission of the property owner. I am shocked by his statement. Now I am torn between having to enforce my companies policy of not allowing firearms in our store (which sucks) and looking the other way so to speak. He then states that he has a license. I tell him that if he wants to show me his license, I will allow him to stay, otherwise he would need to leave. Again, company policy is "no one can carry". He shows me his license and all is well. It just suprises me that, 1st off, someone who is licensed does not know about SB308 as this very law tells us where we can and can't carry our firearm. And 2nd, someone who is licensed does not know that OC or any carry for that matter, is NOT legal without a license.

What say you, about the lack of knowledge of someone who is licensed to carry a firearm, and also my handling of the situation, Keeping in mind our company policy. Had I not wanted to strike up a conversation about firearms with a fellow carrier, I probably wouldn't have said anything to him about his firearm.

See less See more
#2 ·
It does not surprise me at all that he does not know about SB308. I talked to many people at the gun show in Cumming, and the MAJORITY did not know about SB308. If you don't frequent a board such as this, then you probably aren't up to speed on most of the carry laws.

I am curious, why did you ask him for his license?

#4 ·
Brian and I ran into 1 or 2 of these at the Eastman show in Norcross.

They seemed to think that once they had their license they were entitled to carry any where
any time that they wanted. :shock: While I agree that it SHOULD be that way... he and I had to
enlighten a couple of folks. :D

And... as you point out, it's suprising that so many don't have the 1st clue about
sb308 much less ANY of the laws governing carrying in Georgia. Fortunately, I think
that our efforts to educate... won us a couple of new members. :righton:

#5 ·
ForsythGlock said:
because our company does not allow anyone to carry a firearm in our business. I decided however that if he had a license, I would overlook the fact that he was carrying in our store and not ask him to leave as is our policy. I also was in doubt that someone who allegedly had a license did not know anything about the law as he stated "you dont need a license to OC in Ga." Again, after his statements, the license was the deciding factor for me as to if I asked him to leave as per company policy or I let him stay. As I mentioned in my OP, had I not wanted to strike up a conversation with a fellow carrier, or had I of been busy, I would not have said anything about his firearm. His firearm didn't scare me or anything, I just had the time and wanted to talk with someone who obviously shared the same interests as me.

If he had no license, i.e. was carrying illegally, I would have enforced our company policy.

#6 ·
I agree with how you handled it.

I know a lot of us here know the laws fairly well and criticize LEOs that don't know the very laws they are suppose to enforce, but at the same time I am sure there are quite a few people that have carry permits and are just as naive about the laws.

#8 ·
Hock25 said:
Some GCO cards to hand out and a referral to this here forum could be helpful for those types.
+1. I'm pretty shocked at the number of people I encounter who have a GWL but don't know specifics on laws. If I have cards, I refer them to GCO or here at the very least...hopefully some of them check it out.

#9 ·
ForsythGlock said:
It does not surprise me at all that he does not know about SB308. I talked to many people at the gun show in Cumming, and the MAJORITY did not know about SB308. If you don't frequent a board such as this, then you probably aren't up to speed on most of the carry laws.

I Noticed that too while I was there. But I get that everywhere. What I really love is when the Criminal Justice majors on campus try and either BS the law, or think that things the professors/police tell them is law. and they will NEVER admit that perhaps they're wrong/need to brush up on the law.

anyway, was nice meeting you at the gun show Saturday (again).

#11 ·
Letting him in the store with or without a license was irrelevant. Asking to see his license makes one no different than those infringing on our Rights. Questioning him having a license is no different than asking for his "papers". If he had been a criminal, he would have been carrying anyway although probably concealed.

I would not have asked for his license after his remark on the SB308 question but rather that he needed to know the law to keep from getting arrested....handed him a GCO card and maybe one of our attorney's cards to let him know I was serious.

We shouldn't need a licence to carry at all. Therefore, having one or not doesn't make someone capable of safely carrying...i.e letting him go or stay, HOWEVER, one does need to know the law so one doesn't get arrested.

#12 ·
mark5019 said:
what shocks me is that people who are legally allowed to carry havent a clue on the laws where and when they can.
if you drive a motor vehicle you get lessons
The gov does not care. If you screw up they take it away and don't have to give it back! Its a win win for the State

#13 ·
I've noticed this a lot myself here lately, and wonder, why ?
I give out the GCO cards and write down GPDO on the back of them. I've had several people join GCO, but haven't visited this bd. I'm not even sure if they have read up on any of the laws, or are that familiar with SB308.
I hear a lot of wrong interpretations of gun and carry laws in the construction industry (my line of work) and try to point them in the right direction, cards, website etc. Some come back and say I joined GCO, but haven't visited GPDO. I know they are separate, but I feel they compliment one another for great and up to date info on various topics that concern us. Some I know don't even bother with learning anything about the carry laws, these are the ones that concern me the most. I keep plug'n along though and hope for the best.

#14 ·
Scotsman said:
I Noticed that too while I was there. But I get that everywhere. What I really love is when the Criminal Justice majors on campus try and either BS the law, or think that things the professors/police tell them is law. and they will NEVER admit that perhaps they're wrong/need to brush up on the law.

anyway, was nice meeting you at the gun show Saturday (again).
Nice meeting you also Scotsman. Did you leave with the same gun you came in with?

#16 ·
If I'm working at a place that has a no gun policy, and my job is not to specifically carry out security or something, I see a man OC'in a firearm, shopping, just minding his own business, I probably wouldn't even go up to him or talk to him. Just a free man enjoying his natural rights.

I would just act like I never saw it. If management asked about it... ohh I must have just somehow missed it.

Now I mean if I thought he was casing the joint or about to rob it, I'd act very differently, but as we know, most criminals do not OC firearms... the conceal until the right moment, or run in with the gun already in their hand.

#17 ·
Glock23-4-Me, I've been in your shoes. I can't get into the specifics, but I work in a "controlled" environment and weapons of any type (including pepper spray and kubotans) are prohibited.

I have taken the "If I can't see it, I don't know about it" approach to enforcing company policy. On the rare occasion I do see what would be considered a weapon, I privately suggest that it be concealed. If the person gets all righteous with me, I will expel them from the property.

I have sympathy for the people I have to regulate because their job takes them to some of the undesirable areas of the metro area at all hours of the day and night. They need to protect themselves. But if it comes down to it, I will not lose my job because they're unwilling to work with me.

For what it's worth, you handled your situation very well. And it doesn't surprise me that the guy didn't know the law or about SB308.

#18 ·
Chalk me up as one of the ignorant ones. It wasn't until I joined this forum on the heels of SB308 that I started paying attention, even though I had the license in the wallet & the sidearm on my belt.

Ignorance is easy. Now, as a result of this forum, I learn something every day. I notice a lot of others joining & learning as well.

I think you handled it fine. Plant a seed - spread the word by suggesting people check this forum or georgiacarry.

#20 ·
AV8R said:
mark5019 said:
what shocks me is that people who are legally allowed to carry havent a clue on the laws where and when they can.
Mandatory training for everyone? yay. :?
Yeap, I was thinking the same thing. If that is not an Infringement on our 2A I don't know what is other than also asking someone to present their GWL.

So are you pro 2A or not?

If you are true pro 2A then you do not ask to see someones GWL that they shouldn't have to have to begin with because of the 2A. If you are the manager of a store that has a No Firearms policy and ask to see my GWL, you wont see it nor will you ever see me in your store again. As far as training....my dad and elder family members trained me when I was a child. You don't need a formal class....and sure as heck don't need the gov butting in!

#21 ·
Savvy Jack said:
AV8R said:
mark5019 said:
Mandatory training for everyone? yay. :?
Yeap, I was thinking the same thing. If that is not an Infringement on our 2A I don't know what is other than also asking someone to present their GWL.

So are you pro 2A or not?

If you are true pro 2A then you do not ask to see someones GWL that they shouldn't have to have to begin with because of the 2A. If you are the manager of a store that has a No Firearms policy and ask to see my GWL, you wont see it nor will you ever see me in your store again. As far as training....my dad and elder family members trained me when I was a child. You don't need a formal class....and sure as heck don't need the gov butting in!
ok your true pro 2A why do you have a GWL? if your so pure :D

im not saying mandatory training but how many people know you cant carry on post office property?
and since when is asking to see your GWL an infringement?
I for one is proud to show it off when asked.

#22 ·
mark5019 said:
Why do I carry a GWL? To keep from getting :dtmb: and then :handcuffs: then carried off to :jail: . This is a no win situation in the courts.

im not saying mandatory training but how many people know you cant carry on post office property?
Do like I did and search for the laws. Thats how I found GCO and GDP of which I am a proud member.

and since when is asking to see your GWL an infringement?
Since it is required by state law (2A - SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED) You must have a GWL to exercise your 2A? THAT is an infringement.

Why? Did you earn it? :puke:

If you are so proud of your GWL then why not carry this openly?

#23 ·
Savvy Jack said:
mark5019 said:
Why do I carry a GWL? To keep from getting :dtmb: and then :handcuffs: then carried off to :jail: . This is a no win situation in the courts.

Do like I did and search for the laws. Thats how I found GCO and GDP of which I am a proud member.

[quote:2whwda8r]and since when is asking to see your GWL an infringement?
Since it is required by state law (2A - SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED) You must have a GWL to exercise your 2A? THAT is an infringement.

Why? Did you earn it? :puke:

If you are so proud of your GWL then why not carry this openly?
[/quote:2whwda8r]

because its useless as teats on a bull

and yes im proud to show it because not every tom, dick or jane has a GWL!
and when im asked ill show it, just like when and if your pulled over driveing and leo asks for my license i produce it along with my regestration, and insurance proof.

and agree some things need reading i bought from pocket press the ga criminal laws which has 308 in it.

and again at shows im puzzled on the people who dont know where they can and cant carry

#24 ·
Mark, personally I think that the person issuing a GWL should, by a law, have to also issue all laws pertaining to that license in paper form. Maybe one of our elected officials can get this done? Bad idea?

#25 ·
mark5019 said:
...and when im asked ill show it....
Not required by law

, and insurance proof
Also not required by law under
Georgia Code - Motor Vehicles & Traffic - Title 40, Section 40-6-10(3) On and after July 1, 2005, the requirement under this Code section that proof or evidence of minimum liability insurance be maintained in a motor vehicle at all times during the operation of the vehicle shall not apply to the owner or operator of any vehicle for which the records or data base of the Department of Revenue indicates that required minimum insurance coverage is currently effective.
http://law.onecle.com/georgia/40/40-6-10.html

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.