Empty Holster Protest at Columbus State University!1

Discussion in 'GENERAL EVENTS' started by antjay76, Oct 31, 2010.

1. antjay76

antjay76 New Member

This week we will be conducting an empty holster protest on the campus of Columbus State University, to raise awareness and marshall support for the right to self defense. Anyone here who is a student, faculty or knows someone who would want to be involved, please reply. This will be leading up to our initial presentaion at the SGA forum for offical recognition on campus, please pray and support.

2. antjay76

antjay76 New Member

And now, it's official. We succeeded in being recognized on campus at Columbus State University!

3. TimBob

TimBob Old, Slow, Boring Dude

What's the name of your group?

4. antjay76

antjay76 New Member

Students for Concealed Carry on Campus, Columbus State University (CSU) Chapter.
    But I wil lchange it to CSU Students for Concealed Carry as soon as I can get the paperwork in. It's much shorter and the school logo will speak for it's self. Again, it's in GA not Ohio

5. TimBob

TimBob Old, Slow, Boring Dude

Well done! Are you a GCO member? Only $15 a year to support the gun rights group that makes things happen in Georgia!

6. antjay76

antjay76 New Member

Yeah I know. I sent an email to Chief Drew and Dean Reese, the morning after the shots fired incident happened, still no reply. The vote was really close at SGA but I think that has alot to do with people not having an understanding of 1) our focus 2) the laws of preemption in GA and 3) awareness is where everything starts!
    I am looking forward to being a valuable part of campus life at Columbus State University. Who is the person who sent that to you, ask them to get in touch with me?

I joined Georgia Carry atthe end of September. Meant to do it sooner, but life happened.

7. antjay76

antjay76 New Member

Students for Concealed Carry at Columbus State University

As of yesterday, we have become an official student organization. If anyone is interested or may know someon who is, no matter whether they are 21 or not get in touch with us using our gmail address: [email protected]

8. AV8R

AV8R Banned

Just curious but why put "concealed" in CSU Students for Concealed Carry? How about CSU Students for Legal Carry or something similar?

9. 1str8shot

1str8shot New Member

agreed.

10. mountainpass

mountainpass Under Scrutiny

antjay76 I didn't receive that email commandar's friend did, PM commandar for the sender.

11. budder

budder Moderator Staff Member

Because they're a chapter of the national group and want whatever benefits and support that entails?

12. CountryGun

CountryGun New Member

Are the administrators aware that those exempt under OCGA 16-11-130 can already carry into their classrooms? Ask them what makes the lives of the "chosen ones" more valuable than any other student or faculty member.

Are they also aware that students of age (GWL holders) may secure firearms in their vehicles on campus?

13. AV8R

AV8R Banned

In that context it makes sense.

14. antjay76

antjay76 New Member

I have communicated with law enforcement at CSU, spoke specifically with Dean Reese as well as Mr. Griswold at USG, Chief Hamil of Clayton State (which specifically mentioned 16-11-130 in their first school flyer of the semester) and all of these folks are under the persuasion that 16-11-127.1 controls who can and cannot carry on public college campuses. They even go as far as saying OFF DUTY FULL TIME SWORN OFFICERS CANNOT CARRY while in school ,at least NC does not go that far?!!

AND YES WE ARE PART OF THE NATIONAL ORGANIZATION BUT THE CONCEALED MAKES SENSE FOR OTHER REASONS ALSO. Just like no weapons allowed signs signal to criminals where they can be free t oviolate, open carrying weapons would give criminals knowledge of who is and is not carrying, focusing on those who were not visibly carrying, like those under 21?!!!

15. budder

budder Moderator Staff Member

So are your holsters concealed during this protest? Sounds ineffective to me.

16. Collin

Collin New Member

Taken from concealedcampus.org,
    I also participate in the annual empty holster protest in the spring. Definitely helps raise awareness!

17. AV8R

AV8R Banned

Are you really saying that all students should CC in order to give the students under age 21 "herd immunity?" Would your organization look down upon a student legally carrying openly?

18. antjay76

antjay76 New Member

It's not herd immunity

I am sure you understand the statistical breakdown concerning licensed concealed carry. I believe the most quoted is a figure of 1%. That means for every 100 students, one will possess a CCWL. Licenses are issued by a state after meeting standards. A firearms license has more requirements than a driver's license, but yet vehicles are the number one cause of death in the 17 to 19 year old age group and it's still much harder to qualify for a firearms license. Are 17 to 19 year olds forbidden from driving on or around campus? Why should legally licensed handgun owners, who have to be 21 be forbidden from having their state issued license invalid on campus?