Employer No Firearms Policy

Discussion in 'Places Off-Limits' started by Malum Prohibitum, Jan 3, 2007.

1. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

My employer has a "no firearms" policy inside the office (but not outside the office). Years ago, when I was a new employee, I humbly petitioned for a change of that policy and was firmly denied. "Mr. No" left, and, spurred by USMC-Retired's example, I have again petitioned to those in authority for a change of this policy, carefully explaining my reasoning.

While the final decision has not yet come down, it was initially met with a lot less skepticism than I expected, and the policy may even quietly disappear soon.

2. Rammstein

Rammstein New Member

3. Malum Prohibitum

Well, let's wait and see what the final verdict is before we celebrate. :sly:

4. ICP_Juggalo

ICP_Juggalo Professional Troll

Hmm, I dunno Malum. That is saying something about your future at your job. Ahh yes, I can hear it now. It says PROMOTION!!! \:D/

5. foshizzle

foshizzle New Member

I would be amazed if you weren't successful. Your arguments are always clear, concise and based on fact, logic and legal precedent.

I bet they'll just remove it from the official employee handbook and not say anything. It's not like they have to hold a meeting to announce it... just remove the pertinent parts and have everyone re-sign it like they probably do every year... nobody reads those things... unless you care about your safety.

Good luck!

6. Gunstar1

Gunstar1 Administrator

I read every detail of mine with a magnifing glass. Then I ask questions. Though I may just be weird becuase several have told me they have not been asked that much about the handbook before.

I used to drive the teachers nuts as quoted the school's handbook from memory (in response to a teacher not doing something by the book).

My philosophy is, you must know the rules/law if you are going to bend them whithout breaking them.

7. CrankE

CrankE New Member

The company I work for had no uniform company policy-up until 1/1/7. I dreaded the "new" "uniform" policy expecting a zero firearms policy, company-wide. Currently the site policy allows for unloaded, behind the seat of the truck.

I was pleasantly surprised with the new company policy. You may keep your unloaded firearm in your locked vehicle. The policy also says that they'll comply with state laws. (Haven't bothered to mention to them that the state law is less restrictive for GFLs than their policy, but it's not really an issue.)

8. Malum Prohibitum

Well, it looks like foshizzle is the winner. A copy of the new policy has been leaked to me, and this policy provision is deleted in the redlined version. People in authority I thought would be against it have actually turned out to be supportive once I explained my reasons (mainly a concern for theft from a parking deck that has a lot of entering-auto-theft).

It is not final yet, but things are looking good.

For liability concerns, there is another provision inserted elsewhere vaguely directing employees to obey all applicable state laws.

9. USMC - Retired

USMC - Retired Active Member

Outstanding! Good to hear there are still some folks out there that will listen to common sense!

10. jason1

jason1 New Member

We should list all employer by there names that have a {no firearm policy}.It couldn't hurt to list your company and write what is your company policy and see if you could try to get them to change the policy.Because I had run in with my employer about this issue in which I had to find a way out of getting fired and lucky I found a way of getting out of it by there on policy.Like {gunstar1 said }My philosophy is, you must know the rules/law if you are going to bend them whithout breaking them.Thier is a lot of truth to that gunstar1.I was not mad about there policy but they didn't give out a employee handbooks when I was hired there so how could I know the policy.So list the the company and policy from there handbook.

11. Rammstein

Rammstein New Member

8)