Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been a while since I posted. Life has a way of becoming busy when you become employed.. which brings this up.

I've seen this talked about on the forums but not the history or future of it. The section in questions is 16-11-135 which deals with the rights of employees to secure firearms in their personal vehicles. For those not familiar:
Code:
(b) Except as provided in this Code section, no private or public employer, including the state and its political subdivisions, shall condition employment upon any agreement by a prospective employee that prohibits an employee from entering the parking lot and access thereto when the employee's privately owned motor vehicle contains a firearm that is locked out of sight within the trunk, glove box, or other enclosed compartment or area within such privately owned motor vehicle, provided that any applicable employees possess a Georgia weapons carry license.
Notice that the "prospective employee" part puts the code section right on the cliff, ready to be pushed off or saved. This went in to replace the old code, but we still ended up with the exception:
Code:
(d) Subsections (a) and (b) of this Code section shall not apply:
 (1) To an employer providing applicable employees with a secure parking area which restricts general public access through the use of a gate, security station, security officers, or other similar means which limit public access into the parking area, provided that any employer policy allowing vehicle searches upon entry shall be applicable to all vehicles entering the property and applied on a uniform and frequent basis;
I don't see how this exception has any merit as a mere gate wouldn't stop any criminals from entering the lot and unless the lot is surrounded with barbed wire and has a 24/7 guard at the entrance I wouldn't call it secure.

The best course of action in all cases is "loose lips sink ships" so if you are carrying at a job that does not permit it, keep that in mind.

What is the history behind the "secured lot" exception?
What happened during the last session, why did it end up like this?
Is this section a good target in the future?

G

·
skywolf said:
What is the history behind the "secured lot" exception?
What happened during the last session, why did it end up like this?
I don't know this for a fact, but I believe it was special interests such as chamber of commerce type organizations that pushed for the, in essence, "big company guarded lot" exception language.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts