Emory Hospital Parking Deck No Go?

Discussion in 'Places Off-Limits' started by ntech, Aug 15, 2007.

1. ntech

ntech Member

I have a doctor's appointment at Emory Hospital off Clifton Road. I have a GFL, and was hoping to go to the shooting range afterwards. I would like to bring my G22 and Remington 870 along. Is it legal to leave my firearms in my car on the parking deck while I attend my appointment? I would assume so because it is a private hospital....What do you guys think?

2. gsusnake

gsusnake Token Liberal Hippie

University property.

O.C.G.A. § 16-11-127.1
    Carrying weapons within school safety zones, at school functions, or on school property

(a) As used in this Code section, the term:

(1) "School safety zone" means in, on, or within 1,000 feet of any real property owned by or leased to any public or private elementary school, secondary school, or school board and used for elementary or secondary education and in, on, or within 1,000 feet of the campus of any public or private technical school, vocational school, college, university, or institution of postsecondary education.

http://www.georgiapacking.org/GaCode/?t ... tion=127.1

3. Bulldawg182

Bulldawg182 Active Member

GSUSnake is correct and you take a risk if you choose to ignore this section of the law.

That being said, I take my wife to Emory every couple of months for treatments and given the choice of the risks involved in NOT taking my weapon vs. taking my weapon, let's just say I make the prudent choice every time! 8)

Just one of those personal decisions we each have to make for ourselves.

4. scottypp

scottypp New Member

We had a situation here in Macon a few years ago where a buddy of mine was cleaning out his car for his daughter to drive to school. He was doing so at night-first day of school was the next morning. While cleaning out the car, he put a pocket knife on the dash, and it slid forward into the defroster vent. His daughter did not see it the next morning, but when she pulled into the school parking lot, campus police did. She was expelled for carrying the knife onto school property. He fought the expulsion with an attorney and she was eventually re-instated, but it cost him about $600 or more in attorney fees.

Lesson learned - WATCH THE SCHOOL ZONES !

5. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

6. wsweeks2

wsweeks2 New Member

I love how law abiding gun owners are legislated into felons instead of focusing on fixing the problem.

:banghead:

7. pro2am

pro2am New Member

What about the exceptions?

Doesn't 16-11-127.1 go on to say:

and;

8. budder

budder Moderator Staff Member

pro2am, but those don't apply on school property. I posted that earlier, then deleted it when I realized that :p

9. pro2am

pro2am New Member

Okay, I'll agree that C8 is probably not an exception due to the school activity wording.

So, the only reason d1 doesn't apply is because Emory is actually school property rather than in the "school safety zone"?

If Emory was in the zone only, then the lawful business wording would mean that it is allowed I guess.

10. shamalama

shamalama New Member

Ditto.

11. ntech

ntech Member

I think MP gave the most simple answer. I'll go with that.

12. viper32cm

viper32cm New Member

Welcome to my life.

I've made it a point most days to drive home, arm myself, and then go about my daily business after I'm done with school.

13. GAGunOwner

GAGunOwner Active Member

Who would ever know if all you did was park in the parking lot...hell...I doubt most cops would even know enough about the law to associate the hospital with the school...and thus a school zone.

It's kinda like leaving your gun in your console at the Applebees parking lot, while technically illegal....who would ever know? What are the odds that a GA LEO would know the law or even care?

YMMV

14. ntech

ntech Member

The first of two scenarios would involve a crook that broke into your vehicle and stole your firearm while it was parked in a prohibited area. You would have to report it, and the LEO would ask about the location of the incident, which you would reply....:^o

Secondly, in the unlikely event that you were stopped for some reason in the parking lot of a prohibited area, the LEO may ask the question, "Do you have any weapons in the car?" What do you do? If you lie, you risk an additional charge, if you tell the truth you are screwed.

Both are unlikely, but possible.

15. pwr2al4

pwr2al4 New Member

haha, I'm doin the exact same thing, day in and day out.

16. Aberk

Aberk Custom User Title

I'm confused...why is this illegal?

17. gsusnake

gsusnake Token Liberal Hippie

http://www.georgiapacking.org/caselaw/bicevstate.htm
    http://www.georgiapacking.org/caselaw/amorousvstate.htm
    http://www.georgiapacking.org/caselaw/farmervstate.htm (This one is important!)
    http://www.georgiapacking.org/caselaw/jordanvstate.htm

18. cliffhanger

cliffhanger Active Member

I'm pretty sure that every Applebee's I've ever been to makes more than 50% gross food/beverage sales from prepared meals and is no longer considered a public gathering (unless a special event takes place there).

Am I missing something in the links that you posted that would make Applebees continue to be off-limits as a PG?

Cliffhanger

19. Seca

Seca New Member

the Applebee's post was posted pre HB89. Which back then it was illegal to have a firearm in restaurants. Right?