"Emergency Response Drills" at my wife's Univ.

Discussion in 'Off-topic' started by Adam5, Nov 17, 2010.

1. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

For those that don't know, my wife attends Life University in Marietta. They have been sending out e-mails for a while now saying that on Tuesday 11/16 they will be doing emergency response and emergency preparedness drills at the school. The drills were joint between Life Univ Police, Marietta Police, Marietta Fire Dept, and Cobb County Police.

While I have no problems with this and understand the need for them, they did get a little carried away at one point.

They had costumed "masked gunmen" with blank firing guns rush into the student cafe yelling and firing. The cafe there is a 28,000sf student cafeteria/lounge/study area/hang out. The "victims" who were shot knew about it, but in none of the notices that they sent said that there would be people portraying masked gunmen. It seems that some students were rather upset by this "incident" happening and went to the Univ Presidents office in tears after.

What would have happened if there was a Marietta PD officer there who did know about the drill and saw "masked gunmen" entering the cafe and returned fire?

What would have happened if a student or someone else was armed (even though it's not legal on campus) and saw the "masked gunmen" shooting, didn;t know that it was part of a drill, and drilled the guys with a few rounds in the chests?

2. Priest

Priest New Member

What will happen if someone sees the next emergency response drill as an opportunity to go plug some people and have a good lead before the cops are called because everyone will have been very well informed that it is going to happen?

3. EJR914

EJR914 Cheezburger Operator

:screwy: :screwy: :screwy: I think they are taking this entirely too far. What is this? Training to be in the Navy SEALs or something.

Completely ridiculous.

4. martin_j001

martin_j001 Active Member

That is a horrible :cantsay: idea. I'd be pretty damn upset too. And, as someone that WILL make a weapon out of something in a REAL situation like that, someone might've gotten hurt had I got the chance. Not very smart at all on the part of the school. :evil:

5. mountainpass

mountainpass Under Scrutiny

Adam I would try to contact a newspaper in the area and let them know what happened.

6. rmodel65

rmodel65 Yukon Cornelius

what would have happened if any of the 16-11-130 exempt people were on campus :?

7. cpelliott

cpelliott New Member

When they film a movie scene with violence in a public area, they post notices everywhere to make sure anyone even near the area understands it is staged. Anyone at Life who reasonably felt there was a real attack should file aggravated assault charges against all involved.

8. Phil1979

Phil1979 Member Georgia Carry

Masked gunmen firing blanks?! What lunacy is this? Someone could have had a heart attack, or the people could have stampeded and hurt or killed a few people in the rush to get out of there.

The administration at Life University in Marietta are idiots. I hope several people sue them for emotional pain and suffering.

9. GeorgiaGlocker

GeorgiaGlocker Romans 10:13

This was extremely wreckless on their part.

10. cwats04

cwats04 Member

i can tell you from my own stand point that after what i went through, had this happened and i had been there at least one of the "masked actors" would have been hurt very badly.

That is absolutly crazy and someone needs to man up and say that they screwed up and attempt to fix it.

11. CountryGun

CountryGun New Member

If I had been there, dropping off a student, I likely would've plugged a few innocent "masked men". Nuff said. I'd like to think that any court in the land would back me up.

12. RedDawnTheMusical

RedDawnTheMusical Well-Known Member

OMG - what a tremendously dumb idea and great way to get shot by someone ignoring or exempt from the school gun zone restriction...

13. CountryGun

CountryGun New Member

14. MesaCranker

MesaCranker Active Member

Justified homicide?