Eligibility question

Discussion in 'General GWL Questions' started by Georgia Packer, Apr 28, 2007.

1. Georgia Packer

Georgia Packer New Member

Greetings, folks -

As most here know, the Georgia laws regarding concealed carry can be confusing and down right infuriating. I have looked over the codes and taken advantage of the search feature on this site and, unless I overlooked it or did not use the proper search parameters, I have not been able to find an answer to my question. That question?-

Are residents of the State of Georgia in possession of a Green Card (that is, legal permanent residents that are not US citizens) eligible to apply for a concealed carry permit?

Thanks in advance for your replies.

The Packer

2. Rammstein

Rammstein New Member

Hi Georgia Packer, Welcome to GPDO.

To answer your question, yes you are eligible for a Georgia Firearms License.

The controlling statue for this is 16-11-129, specifically 16-11-129 (B).

Nothing in that section prohibits a legal permanent resident from firearm ownership or in the rest of OCGA or in Federal law. With the exception that you be a resident in the state for at least 90 days.

3. Georgia Packer

Rammstein,

Thanks for the welcome and the quick reply. Actually, the question wasn't for me. I'm Southern born and bred and have been a resident of Georgia for 26 of the last 27 years. (Can't you tell that I type with a Southern drawl? :wink: ) I was asking on behalf of my wife, who immigrated here from Israel in the '80s. I want her to be safe and legal and that requires the much coveted CCW permit.

All I have to say is I pity any fool that would ever cause her to draw down on them.

The Packer

4. Rammstein

Rammstein New Member

I'm glad I could help and I hope your wife gets her permit quickly.

Have you thought about joining Georgia Carry?

5. Georgia Packer

I must admit my ignorance regarding this organization. I'll give it a look-see.

Now, let me get the missus over to the courthouse to start that paperwork....

The Packer

6. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

7. kestak

kestak New Member

Greetings,

I am a green card holder and I just applied for a GFL without any problem.
    I now own 3 guns and it is a little bit more complicated than a US citizen simply because the check takes 1 hour and half instead of 10 minutes.

Thank you

8. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

You might start here, with the 2006 in Review. There has been a lot more since then, but we do ot often stop to list it out. I think this is a good overview.