Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings, folks -

As most here know, the Georgia laws regarding concealed carry can be confusing and down right infuriating. I have looked over the codes and taken advantage of the search feature on this site and, unless I overlooked it or did not use the proper search parameters, I have not been able to find an answer to my question. That question?-

Are residents of the State of Georgia in possession of a Green Card (that is, legal permanent residents that are not US citizens) eligible to apply for a concealed carry permit?

Thanks in advance for your replies.

The Packer

·
Registered
5,798 Posts
Hi Georgia Packer, Welcome to GPDO.

To answer your question, yes you are eligible for a Georgia Firearms License.

The controlling statue for this is 16-11-129, specifically 16-11-129 (B).

Nothing in that section prohibits a legal permanent resident from firearm ownership or in the rest of OCGA or in Federal law. With the exception that you be a resident in the state for at least 90 days.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Rammstein said:
Hi Georgia Packer, Welcome to GPDO.

To answer your question, yes you are eligible for a Georgia Firearms License.
Rammstein,

Thanks for the welcome and the quick reply. Actually, the question wasn't for me. I'm Southern born and bred and have been a resident of Georgia for 26 of the last 27 years. (Can't you tell that I type with a Southern drawl? :wink: ) I was asking on behalf of my wife, who immigrated here from Israel in the '80s. I want her to be safe and legal and that requires the much coveted CCW permit.

All I have to say is I pity any fool that would ever cause her to draw down on them.

The Packer

·
Registered
5,798 Posts
I'm glad I could help and I hope your wife gets her permit quickly.

Have you thought about joining Georgia Carry?

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
Greetings,

I am a green card holder and I just applied for a GFL without any problem.
I now own 3 guns and it is a little bit more complicated than a US citizen simply because the check takes 1 hour and half instead of 10 minutes.

Thank you

·
68,680 Posts
Georgia Packer said:
Rammstein said:
Have you thought about joining Georgia Carry?
I must admit my ignorance regarding this organization. I'll give it a look-see.
You might start here, with the 2006 in Review. There has been a lot more since then, but we do ot often stop to list it out. I think this is a good overview.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts